• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform ticket no longer available - Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saperstein

Hi,

Mods: (Sorry if this in the wrong section. Although it’s not fare advice it is about a ticket, if it is wrong though please feel free to move).

I was surprised to find that Chester no longer sell Platform Tickets when I enquired at the ticket window this morning?

How longs this been the case? I know Rhyl still do them as I bought one on Sunday!

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

moose5000

Been reading the forum for a while but saw this and had to respond as I knew the answer!

Apparently, platform tickets haven't been sold at Chester since 2010 - that is according to the gateline staff member I was speaking to only a few weeks back. The only exception is when a special train is passing through/stopping when they give out specific platform tickets.

Saperstein

Been reading the forum for a while but saw this and had to respond as I knew the answer!

Apparently, platform tickets haven't been sold at Chester since 2010 - that is according to the gateline staff member I was speaking to only a few weeks back. The only exception is when a special train is passing through/stopping when they give out specific platform tickets.

Thanks @moose5000 is that just local policy or can they not psychically do it on the TIS they are using?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
£2.15 for a return to Bache if you don't want arguments. Bit more than 10p, but if you're using station facilities (I'm assuming you want enthusiast access rather than just to drop someone off) why shouldn't you pay for access? :)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
£2.15 for a return to Bache if you don't want arguments. Bit more than 10p, but if you're using station facilities (I'm assuming you want enthusiast access rather than just to drop someone off) why shouldn't you pay for access? :)

It's possible for Platform Tickets to be more than 10p.

moose5000

Thanks @moose5000 is that just local policy or can they not psychically do it on the TIS they are using?

Do they have to issue them with the power of their mind alone?

As nice as they are, I think Chester Ticket Office has a training issue. I usually buy all my tickets online now. The staff are often hesitant to sell tickets that aren't, shall we say, 'easy'. I could go on about problems I've had and I do understand some of my requests are 'odd' when compared with what they sell usually. If I find it hard to buy tickets that don't start/end at Chester, or to buy a PlusBus, then I'm not surprised you can't buy a platform ticket from them. The TIS I believe is Fujitsu Star but I'm no expert on that so someone else will have to clarify whether you can sell them on that.

On the other hand, Chester barriers are usually, in my experience, open more often than not, and the gateline staff are friendly and knowledgeable. Perhaps there just isn't a need for platform tickets most of the time. The first time I asked for a platform ticket, I was just directed to the gateline.

Last edited:

Saperstein

Or £1.40 with the railcard I hold, actually I just wanted change for the Aintree Coaches rail link bus (return to Chester Bus Interchange or Foregate Street @£1.50 and I only had a high note to brake).

In the end I just flat out asked for change and the ticket lady didn’t mind - but some of them do if you just want change.

I could have always bought a 40p Lichfield City to Lichfield Trent Valley child single but the TVM’s at Chester won’t let you choose tickets from another station unless you book TOD, and if you just want change that defeats the object!

district

My STAR machine can issue them (another TOC) but I think it is possible for STAR machines to be set up differently between TOCs. If you’ve managed to get one at a different ticket office managed by the same TOC then it’s probably either a training issue or they just don’t want to sell it. They aren’t mandatory in stations without compulsory ticket areas anyway.

Starmill

Veteran Member
This is one of the most ridiculous things you've ever posted.:lol: And you have nearly 40,000 posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.