• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platforms with given names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedpan

Established Member
When I was down the pub the other evening I overheard somebody mentioning Platform Soles but couldn't hear the rest of the conversation so no idea what station they were talking about. :D

On a more serious note there used to be two extra platforms at Esher, on the country side of Esher West signal box, which were used on race days at Sandown Park. They had a name, not numbers, something line Raceday Platforms but I cant recall what they were actually known as.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kneedown

Established Member
I thought that Sheffield's 2C was quite a recent (well, post nationalisation) development for local DMUs.

It would be rather odd to handle livestock 'on the hoof' via what is overall a passenger island platform (2-5).

No knowledge of the origin of the term, or the associated history i'm afraid.

LowLevel

Established Member
Platforms 13 and 14 at Manchester Piccadilly are known as 'the Junction' after the original company that operated them (Manchester, South Junction and Altrincham Railway).

Deepgreen

Established Member
Hi
Platforms with given names.
Other than 'Platform 3' are there any which have been given proper titles? Something like 'The Ena Sharples memorial platform'.
I think what you are asking is are there any platforms which are/were officially named in their own right and which appear(ed) in passenger information as such? I am not aware of any extant today.

Last edited:

Lloyds siding

For the golf at Lytham? Good one, and unusual (unique) in not having a number/letter designation.
No, as I recall there was engineering work meaning some of the regular platforms were out of use. I would have been going to Blackpool or maybe Heysham

Last edited:

johnnychips

Established Member
Cheating, but there was an ‘Alan Bradley tram stop’ at Blackpool where the Coronation St character was killed by a tram - references to Ena Sharples and Blackpool reminded me.

kieron

Established Member
For the golf at Lytham? Good one, and unusual (unique) in not having a number/letter designation.
I was going to mention Hooton as another, but the platform by the booking office is called platform 0 in this press release from Network Rail.

Lloyds siding

Campbell's Platform on the Ffestiniog Railway is a private halt named after Col. Andrew Campbell who lived in the nearby, rather inaccessible manor house, Plas Dduallt. Indeed, it was so inaccessible (lack of road access), he had his own train too!

noddingdonkey

The platforms at Hebden Bridge were only labelled as "Up" and "Down" until they got the long line PA and needed to add numbers.

Platform 2 at Huddersfield is, to all intents and purposes, "The Penistone Line platform".

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I wonder if the southernmost platform (now disused) at Hull had a name? The one that was used for emigration traffic between Europe and the US?

Rather unimaginatively I've seen it referred to as the "emigration station". Of course when those platforms were last in passenger use they had numbers in the main sequence, being 10-14.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
when first built, some of the large terminal stations only had the two platforms - Arrival and Departure. This then became multiple for each use. At Euston the main station buildings were even between the two sides.

bishdunster

Platform 4 at Bournemouth always used to be referred to by the staff in the 1970s as "The Extension" , maybe someone on here could say if this is still the case today.

Status
Not open for further replies.