• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Please Get Rid of the Safety Screen !

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
This is true. I generally get the impression that every single passenger on a crowded rush-hour station could die horribly and the industry wouldn't care a jot so long as they couldn't be sued for it.

Even if you got that impression, I think it's fair to say that this wouldn't be the case!

The industry is run by real people like you and me, who probably do care about others. And while there might be some exceptions, I don't think most people who run big private companies are as they're often portrayed in movies, as cold and heartless while sleeping on a bed of money!

I am sure many do believe that people should use common sense and find it frustrating that certain safety notices and disclaimers are there to simply reduce spurious claims.

Claims like this; http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/hatfield_gran_sues_police_for_250_million_1_1348784

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
I am sure many do believe that people should use common sense and find it frustrating that certain safety notices and disclaimers are there to simply reduce spurious claims.

I think that's the key thing here. I'm sure all TOCs would love to acknowledge how people have common sense and therefore such safety notices are not needed, but we live in a compensation culture where not stating the obvious can leave you open to claimants. I believe that rather than wanting to bombard us with more safety info, that it is just the TOCs (quite rightly) covering their own back to avoid these sort of claims!

Annoying as they are, and they do get in the way of important information, they are necessary for the reason I've said

GB

Established Member
Because, as the HSE warns, excessive signage means that the public gets so numbed by them that they stop paying any attention to any sign. As a result of which signs that are actually necessary will go ignored - ultimately making things less safe.

How many "safety signs" are actually found in the general passenger waiting area? Not many I would have thought.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
If the only reason the signs are required is for protecting the railways from lawsuits, rather than actually improve safety, then perhaps the problem we should be addressing is in the legal system?
Agreed.

My preferred solution would be underwater breathing lessons for any lawyer found to be participating in a legal practice with 10 or more others.

trainophile

Established Member
Has this already been suggested?...

Why not have the top or bottom few inches of the screen showing scrolling safety info etc, in the manner of the breaking news bit on the BBC News channel, while the main body of the board remains dedicated to train information?

Last edited:

Established Member
Real Scenario.

Drunken idiot runs onto station.

Drunken idiot spends two minutes waiting for the departures Page 1 of 4 to appear.

Almost a minute spent looking at "Doors Close 90 seconds...... Floors are slippy.... Don't leave bombs unattended......" etc

Drunken idiot finally realises last Rochdale service is platform 6 in a matter of 60 seconds.

Drunken idiot gets to platform as doors are shut, and train sails off.

Drunken idiot becomes angry drunken idiot and punches platform staff.

Safety message defeats it own original purpose making passengers late and results in serious assault on staff.

Northern Rail = Fail.

trainophile

Established Member
Having more than two pages of departure info is counter-productive. Ideally only one (obviously showing the most imminent departures) is preferable, so that people on tight connections can immediately find out what they need to know.

If it is essential to have more than one page, then display the second/third pages only for a few moments, while dwelling on the first page for longer. Those catching trains shown on the second/third page are unlikely to be in a hurry, but if they do need to know before they wander off then they can stand and wait for that page to come around again.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I prefer the idea of dividing the screen up so immediate departures remain on the screen.

Works fine on most platforms around the country and the 'next bus' signs.

Put safety info, upcoming engineering work info and other info below. Those who are early for their train can read at their leisure.

This is what they should have done with the new screens for each platform at King's Cross. Fortunately they have dropped that info in favour of the next train being fixed. Let's hope they're not pressured into changing that.

Grantham

Real Scenario.

Drunken idiot runs onto station.

Drunken idiot spends two minutes waiting for the departures Page 1 of 4 to appear.

Almost a minute spent looking at "Doors Close 90 seconds...... Floors are slippy.... Don't leave bombs unattended......" etc

Drunken idiot finally realises last Rochdale service is platform 6 in a matter of 60 seconds.

Drunken idiot gets to platform as doors are shut, and train sails off.

Drunken idiot becomes angry drunken idiot and punches platform staff.

Safety message defeats it own original purpose making passengers late and results in serious assault on staff.

Northern Rail = Fail.

Ahh, but Northern Rail can claim to not be in the wrong...but my mummy always told me not to antagonise anyone! Maybe one of the warnings on the safety screen could be given over to not antagonising intending passengers. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.