• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Please Note that this bus stop is no longer in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillPS

Established Member
A6syvV8CQAEo6kD.jpg:large

So, with the recent wave of changes throughout SYPTE land, my local bus stop lost its only service (the 7). SYPTE advise that Stagecoach Supertram run an alternative service on Park Grange Road, but the tram has run this way for close to 20 years, so why has it taken so long for this to happen?

Another question - since the bus stops are all now redundant (there are no public or private services using them to my knowledge, and I can see them right out through my balcony), why were a few of them refurbished only a few months ago?

Curiouser still, why have I seen repair crews out changing the light bulbs in them twice now since the 7 was scrapped?

Does anybody else know of any bus stops (anywhere) becoming redundant due to tram services?

I can't think of any that I know of in Nottingham; in fact the tram runs along a route which never really saw buses (as far as Basford, anyway). There may have been a minibus route which ran around the Arboretum area - but I have a feeling this was axed prior to the 2001 coloured line shake up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
A related question - would we prefer that out-of-use bus stops are left in situ for possible future use, or removed completely so as to prevent confusion?

Regarding this specific issue, those from outside the area may wish to refer to this unofficial SY map to see where route 7 goes.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

So, with the recent wave of changes throughout SYPTE land, my local bus stop lost its only service (the 7). SYPTE advise that Stagecoach Supertram run an alternative service on Park Grange Road, but the tram has run this way for close to 20 years, so why has it taken so long for this to happen?

Another question - since the bus stops are all now redundant (there are no public or private services using them to my knowledge, and I can see them right out through my balcony), why were a few of them refurbished only a few months ago?

Curiouser still, why have I seen repair crews out changing the light bulbs in them twice now since the 7 was scrapped?

Does anybody else know of any bus stops (anywhere) becoming redundant due to tram services?

I can't think of any that I know of in Nottingham; in fact the tram runs along a route which never really saw buses (as far as Basford, anyway). There may have been a minibus route which ran around the Arboretum area - but I have a feeling this was axed prior to the 2001 coloured line shake up.

Was the service commercial? If it was SYPTE will only have had 56 days' notice of its termination. As to why they're chaning the light bulbs, I can't be sure but it may be that if they leave things like that they become a target for vandalism as it gives out a message of not caring about it. I'd guess SYPTE may hope that someone else will run a service using them so have left them there for now.

In Nottingham, the tram largely replaced the every 5 minute services on double deck routes 80-84 (Now 68/a,69/a still frequent around Bulwell but far less frequent into Nottingham)- many roads saw huge reductions in the number of buses, but I don't think any stops stopped being served.

Ivo

Established Member
Back home in Southend the idiots in aquamarine (:lol:) rerouted the 1 route in February 2009, and they and/or Southend Borough Council erected temporary stops on the new route. Unless things have changed in the last 10 weeks, (most of) the old stops are still there - as are the "temporary" stops.

tbtc

Veteran Member
There have certainly been a number of services cut back in/around Sheffield due to the tram over the last couple of decades - but not a lot of stops "unserved" - the only place I can think of would be the 85/86 stops in Winn Gardens at Middlewood which used to have a service (but this was only started after the tram started).

Middlewood used to have double deckers every five minutes to the city centre/ Hunters Bar etc. Now, it gets a bi-hourly 268 as far as Hillsborough only. Changed days...

I expected that Norfolk Park would see some very token service retained, like the Stagecoach 53 (to Mansfield), to tick a box - in the way that other "compromises" were found for other bits of the city. Long gone are the days of a bus every five minutes on the 10/11/70/71/711!

MCR247

Established Member
In Nottingham, the tram largely replaced the every 5 minute services on double deck routes 80-84 (Now 68/a,69/a still frequent around Bulwell but far less frequent into Nottingham)- many roads saw huge reductions in the number of buses, but I don't think any stops stopped being served.

The 68/69 is currently every 7/8 minutes along the full route with these

MCR247

Established Member
Its not just because they lost the tram as the route was at capacity with ominicities at 7/8 minutes so omnidekkas were ordered (before they lost the tram?)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Its not just because they lost the tram as the route was at capacity with ominicities at 7/8 minutes so omnidekkas were ordered (before they lost the tram?)

I thought that was what I suggested? Presumably people aren't quite so keen to jump on the tram now you can't just use an NCT pass all the way.

MCR247

Established Member
I was just saying I think the 68/69 was getting omnidekkas before they lost the tram.

Looking now, the tram was lost around this time last year, and with the buses being 61 reg, it seemed to be happening regardless

bluenoxid

Established Member
A related question - would we prefer that out-of-use bus stops are left in situ for possible future use, or removed completely so as to prevent confusion?

Regarding this specific issue, those from outside the area may wish to refer to this unofficial SY map to see where route 7 goes.

I think they should stay in situ with a clear sign that states that it is out of use. Through FMT I have found out that this makes it easier. As you can imagine, if you have an asset there, it is easier to retain it than reinstall it at a later date with all the issues that go with it.

Does SYPTE have a maintenance contract with an advertiser? In Tyne and Wear, we have bus shelters without services in Longbenton and at Whitley Bay. It is upto the advertiser if they retain the shelter there or not but if it remains there, they must maintain and clean it on a weekly basis.

http://www.fixmytransport.com/campaigns/replace-the-glass-in-this-shelter-an

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Sort of on topic, my bus stop lost it's service and so did the other along that bit of the A41 which was X11 which ran once in the morning from Liverpool to Chester then the return in the afternoon to Liverpool. It was always full as well. The only bus serving it is my school bus which is privately run so the timetable on the lamp post shows the "Please note this stop is no longer served by any buses" message. The number 1 that turns off the A41 at New chester road is more reliable and is much easier for heading into town that way.

Outside Port Sunlight railway station also is a decommissioned bus stop

Established Member
There was a case in West Yorkshire where a bus stop with a pole was upgraded to one with a shelter (at a cost of c. £10,000), only for First to withdraw the sole service using it a few weeks later. IIRC bus companies only have to give 56 days notice to the Traffic Commissioner before starting/ending or altering a route, so putting in a new bus shelter could have been planned a lot longer than that.

WillPS

Established Member
If the 7 was commercial, I don't see how it could have been profitable. I never saw one with more than 10-15 people, and that would have been the afternoon service that scholars use, other than that it would typically carry less than 5. Until January it was normally run by an Olympian!

I'm surprised they haven't routed one of the less frequent services on City Road down here too. The 53 would actually be a significant upgrade on the 7 in terms of frequency! Perhaps something will happen when one of those services is re-tendered.

transmanche

Established Member
Does SYPTE have a maintenance contract with an advertiser? In Tyne and Wear, we have bus shelters without services in Longbenton and at Whitley Bay.
And a few along Scotswood Road too. At least Nexus (usually) put a large poster in the timetable frame to let you know that 'No services currently serve this stop'.

As an aside, this bus shelter might as well have no services calling. I'd like to nominate it as having probably the least useful bus service in the country. One bus per day, in one direction only, at 4:47am

Ivo

Established Member
As an aside, this bus shelter might as well have no services calling. I'd like to nominate it as having probably the least useful bus service in the country. One bus per day, in one direction only, at 4:47am

Pfft. The bus stop at the end of my road back home has one return bus per week. :P However, it is at least at a slightly more sensible time of day.

Is there such a thing as a parliamentary bus service? Maybe that infamous MK example of "fifth Tuesday of the month"?

As an aside, we have a bus stop at Uni that isn't registered with Traveline et al. Apparently it only exists in one direction :|

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Is there such a thing as a parliamentary bus service? Maybe that infamous MK example of "fifth Tuesday of the month"?

As an aside, we have a bus stop at Uni that isn't registered with Traveline et al. Apparently it only exists in one direction :|

There's no bus services that are legally obligated to run (unless they're a rail replacement service) and no official closure procedures (other than normally having to give 56 days' notice - though there are some very infrequent services such as the one you mention (http://www.mkweb.co.uk/miltonkeynesbuses/documents/Wanderbus.pdf)

Trainfan344

Established Member

Established Member
And a few along Scotswood Road too. At least Nexus (usually) put a large poster in the timetable frame to let you know that 'No services currently serve this stop'.

I was suprised to see that some people do use the one bus a day in the early morning through town to the Team Valley.

Established Member
Some people do work for a living and some people has nasty shifts

My point being that the bus seems to be timed very early, which isn't much use for those who start around 6am at some of the factories.

Not sure what you're trying to imply but I've done my fare share of night shifts and work unsociable hours most of the time.

richw

Veteran Member
A bus stop near me was taken out of use 10 years ago but still has its sign, buses no longer go round the estate and just go past the end of the estate.

Ivo

Established Member
A bus stop near me was taken out of use 10 years ago but still has its sign, buses no longer go round the estate and just go past the end of the estate.

There's a bus stop near my mother's which has half a flag, and has had half a flag for a very long time.

When was the last bus that stopped there? Put it this way - not in this century.

MCW

if you go up the eyres monsell and Glen Parva areas of leicester there are still loads of bus stops unused there wll with the curbs raised about 4 years ago!!! idk what they are upto...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
if you go up the eyres monsell and Glen Parva areas of leicester there are still loads of bus stops unused there wll with the curbs raised about 4 years ago!!! idk what they are upto...

I believe this is the case with some bus stops in Hamilton after the 18 was re-routed and merged with the 58.

Status
Not open for further replies.