• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Please tell me the class of train in picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Screenshot_20191227-210142.png Hi all. Been offered this for £10 on Facebook. I'm interested but can't decide if it's a Britannia or 9F.

Anyone help me please.

9F on freight.

Did Brits ever work freight trains?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The photo is a bit on the blurry side, but it looks like a 9F - Evening Star is my guess.

deltic14

It is Evening Star. The picture I think appeared on a Hornby catalogue in the 70's or one similar. If so it is a print of an original by Terrence Cuneo. If there is a small mouse in the picture then it is a Cuneo.
Brits did work freights especially in their last years. Carlisle to Bradford was a regular turn.

big all

On Moderation
as you can easily count three driving axles to where the connecting rod end is
as the connecting rod tended to be centrally placed on the side rod driving wheels to reduce unevenes this suggests 5 driving axles rather than britania with just three??

Veteran Member
Here is a better online image of the picture itself:
http://www.merlinprints.com.au/assets/full/cun27.jpg?1499386921
The image on that link is still not good enough to see where the mouse is but it is probably standing on a rails or sleeper of the adjacent track.
Triang Hornby featured it on the cover of their 17th edition of the model railway catalogue inn 1971.
Think the mouse may be by the nearside rail, by the chair in the shadow of the telegraph pole. But in any case the Cuneo signature is bottom left.

HSP 2

The picture on the chair looks interesting, looks like a David Shepard (not sure on the spelling) of Nine Elms, or Old Oak.

If these were the origin paintings you would be looking in the £10k plus bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.