• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plus Bus Bath Spa

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanD

Established Member
My daughter wants to attend an open day at Bath University and we are looking at the PlusBus website but it's not clear if it covers all the buses that would get her there.

Could anyone please advise?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Both Bath Spa University and University of Bath are within the Bath Plus Bus zone - see this map. You can use any services operated by "First and services operated on behalf of BANES Council by WessexConnect (route 20/a) & Faresaver." with exclusions of "all Park&Ride services: 21, 31, 41, 42; Racecourse special service: 32." First operate routes 8 & 18 out to UoB.

TP

IanD

Established Member
Thanks for that. As I said we are not sure if that covers all the buses that would get her to Bath University (The University of Bath version).

The Universtiy website mentions 8 and 18 (operated by First) but also U18 UniConnect. Presumably that's only included if it's subsidised by BANES council.

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm sure Ivo will be along soon, however I'd stick to the 8 / 18 - these are definitely in :smile:

island

Veteran Member
Check with Ivo if you're not sure, as he is very familiar with the area.

34D

Established Member
Check with Ivo if you're not sure, as he is very familiar with the area.

May I suggest that instead of recommending members on here, the opposite is done and a PM sent to that member, who can then come onto the thread if they choose to.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I have never actually noticed the wording on the website, I had just assumed that it would be valid on the U18 (never had to use one in Bath as I had a bus pass for the year anyway). So can't answer about that bus.

But the 18 is pretty frequent anyway, even during university holidays.
So even if the plusbus ticket does not include the U18, then it wouldn't matter too much.

In terms of the 8, I am not even sure if First even run that anymore. I seem to remember posters saying that it is being withdrawn (and think Ivo mentioned on this forum that it is being withdrawn too). Even if they do still run it, it is a university term only service and even then was very limited in terms of times. So I would just say forget this service.

The 20 that is mentioned in previous posts, run by wessex connect, does go to the university, but its the Bath Circular so takes a pretty long route. Nots really worth it unless you fancy a tour of random parts of the city!

Just as a bit of a help, if you are going straight to the university from the railway station, the bus stop is very close. Just opposite the bus station (and the bus station is right next to the train station).

(ps - I have just graduated from Bath, so if you / your daughter have any quick questions, feel free to send me a PM).

Ivo

Established Member
Unfortunately I can't confirm for certain if it is valid on the U18 or not, but truth be told I would be surprised if it was. The 20A/C were formerly operated by First which would explain PlusBus validity on that route; the 20C is actually the fastest route from the City Centre to the University but runs only once an hour. The 18 is definitely your best bet as ex-Bath student WelshBluebird says (it departs from Stop Bn opposite the bus station and runs every 20 minutes during Holidays).

Two other points to think about: One, as said before, the 8 no longer runs (last day was March 30th - I made a point of travelling on the last-ever journey); two, be sure you don't board a bus to Bath Spa University by mistake (the SPA1).

There isn't much else I can say that hasn't already been mentioned. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I PM'd Ivo after posting asking if he could possibly poke his head in :smile:

IanD

Established Member
Thanks for all the info, most useful.

Thanks for the offers WekshBluebird and Ivo. If we/she needs any inside info you'll be our first ports of call.

Ivo

Established Member
Just one other point that I've thought of; open days can cause total gridlock in the city centre. Journeys can take upwards of one hour (against the usual ~15), meaning that if your daughter leaves the open day when it is still busy she may be better off walking down the hill!

chuckles1066

Two other points to think about: One, as said before, the 8 no longer runs (last day was March 30th - I made a point of travelling on the last-ever journey); two, be sure you don't board a bus to Bath Spa University by mistake (the SPA1).

Yeah, someone was definitely having a laugh when they decided to come up with two universities with very similar names, particularly as it appears that 99% of students in Bath are oriental and so very likely to end up in Corston rather than where they actually need to be.

Shocker.

Ivo

Established Member
You do realise that BSU is actually a Hell of a lot older than UoB? It's just the recent name (Bath Spa) that causes the problem. Also, very few of our students are Eastern. And speaking of which, statistics suggest that, international reputation aside, Claverton are actually pretty average.

But enough of that. This thread is for PlusBus matters. I will try to find out for certain with regards to the U18 tomorrow, but cannot promise.

EDIT: As per usual, I haven't been able to get anything out of Wessex. Useless bunch of half-wits :roll:

Also, another thing to consider. The SPA1 is set to be renumbered 15 (not yet confirmed). If this does happen your daughter will need to be more careful than I previously suggested; confusing "18" with "15" on a bus is entirely possible! Just look for "University" (and thus 18) and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.