• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plusbus & Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnolife

Established Member
Morning all

I'm wondering if it is possible to buy a Plusbus Chester ticket if I hold a Cheshire Day Ranger?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think the formal answer is "no", as Chester is neither the origin nor the destination of the ticket.

That said, it doesn't hurt to try it and some clerk might be happy to issue it.

gnolife

Established Member
So the cheapest way for me to get Plusbus for Chester (other than a lenient/not-fully-aware-of-the-rules member of staff letting me buy one), would be a Capenhurst - Chester single then? That's a little bit annoying, but it still works out cheaper than two singles/a return for the rip-off merchants in question.

RJ

Established Member
I'm yet to come across a ticket office clerk in London who asks to see a rail ticket to the station where I'm buying a Plusbus ticket for!

34D

Established Member
I'm yet to come across a ticket office clerk in London who asks to see a rail ticket to the station where I'm buying a Plusbus ticket for!

Indeed. Or an on-traim guard to refuse to sell one (as he is on commission).

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
So the cheapest way for me to get Plusbus for Chester (other than a lenient/not-fully-aware-of-the-rules member of staff letting me buy one), would be a Capenhurst - Chester single then? That's a little bit annoying, but it still works out cheaper than two singles/a return for the rip-off merchants in question.

Couldn't you buy a Bache-Chester single? Capenhurst-Chester is £2.30, Bache-Chester is only £1.60 :D

I think the formal answer is "no", as Chester is neither the origin nor the destination of the ticket.

That said, it doesn't hurt to try it and some clerk might be happy to issue it.

Without reading the terms of this ticket it might actually include buses anyway, if the Anglia Plus ticket is anything to go by round here, that includes buses in both Norwich and Ipswich (First Group Only Town Buses)

IanD

Established Member
Without reading the terms of this ticket it might actually include buses anyway, if the Anglia Plus ticket is anything to go by round here, that includes buses in both Norwich and Ipswich (First Group Only Town Buses)

It might include taxis and ferries and air travel and give free lifts in any passing car. But then again you'd need to read the T&Cs to see if this is the case.

It might include taxis and ferries and air travel and give free lifts in any passing car. But then again you'd need to read the T&Cs to see if this is the case.

Taxis can only be used on consecutive Tuesdays and only assuming PPM falls below 23.5%.

IanD

Established Member
For clarity, the Cheshire Day Ranger does not include bus travel (or taxis, ferries, free lifts in passing cars, walking, rollerskating, skateboarding, cycling, skiing or snowboarding).

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/prbad90d0a040002016445fab7d9d950/details.html

Oh - I guess it makes sense to read the T&Cs then otherwise I could have ended up in real trouble.

Although I'm sure you can walk at any time and rollerskate, skateboard, cycle, ski or snowboard once off railway premises :D

gnolife

Established Member

Polarbear

Established Member
According to the Sheepline, it appears to be possible to buy a Plus Bus add on to a Bache - Chester day return. It says that PB isn't available at Bache, but IS available at Chester. The SDR is £1.75 and the PB add on is £2.50?

I don't recommend using the Sheepline to buy tickets due to the additional fees, but as it's providing the option to buy this, can this be confirmed as a legitimate option or is it an error?

Failing that, should you want to use the buses in & around Chester, most operators have day tickets starting at £3.50 for a Stagecoach Dayrider covering Chester & Ellesmere Port (also available on Arriva service 2)

Yew

Established Member
According to the Sheepline, it appears to be possible to buy a Plus Bus add on to a Bache - Chester day return. It says that PB isn't available at Bache, but IS available at Chester. The SDR is £1.75 and the PB add on is £2.50?

I don't recommend using the Sheepline to buy tickets due to the additional fees, but as it's providing the option to buy this, can this be confirmed as a legitimate option or is it an error?

Failing that, should you want to use the buses in & around Chester, most operators have day tickets starting at £3.50 for a Stagecoach Dayrider covering Chester & Ellesmere Port (also available on Arriva service 2)

WebITS systems are also happy to sell it (Well, EC at least)

Status
Not open for further replies.