Plusbus - reduced price for senior railcard

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Howardh, 13 Feb 2019.

1. Howardh

Howardh Established Member

Just a heads-up for anyone fairly new to the senior railcard, just booked Bolton/Windermere and with my railcard I got a reduced price for the BON plusbus. It's significant because (a) I wasn't aware I got the discount in the first place, and (b) with that discount it works out cheaper than the two singles to the station and back, so I bought one!

Would this be applicable to any other railcards?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yes, PlusBus discounts apply to all National Railcards as far as I know.

4. A Challenge

A Challenge Established Member

From the plusbus FAQ:
    http://plusbus.info/frequently-asked-questions

5. Howardh

How clear is this on the senior railcard literature? Thrown mine away, and must admit if there's anything there I missed it, and if there isn't there should be as this is a nice little bonus!

EDIT; https://www.senior-railcard.co.uk
    on the front page. Not looked inside, but I'm sure they could add "and Plusbus" and make the card even more appealing!!

6. DelW

DelW Member

It's a relatively small demographic that benefits from the Senior card Plusbus discount, though useful for them - residents of England outside London, between age 60 and 65-66.

In Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, you're eligible for a bus pass at 60 as for the Senior Railcard, or in London there is a free travel Oyster card available at that age. For England outside London the age for a buss pass is currently a bit over 65, going up incrementally to 66.

7. Howardh

Do you have to live in London to get that free Oyster card?

8. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

Definitely, because it is the local ENCTS bus pass equivalent, and is local authority controlled, just like anywhere else.

9. higthomas

higthomas Member

It's actually not. The 60+ oyster card is different from the freedom pass, which is the ENCTS equivalent (borough council not TFL funded) and is 65+.

Both though are only available to London residents.

10. DelW

DelW Member

Indeed, residents of London boroughs only. A friend of mine, now aged early 60s, is regretting that the house he bought in his 30s is just over the border in Epsom and Ewell, Surrey, so he gets nothing (yet) while had he lived a few houses down he would have had free use of buses, tubes, TFL rail and some National Rail services for some years. Of course he might have had to pay more council tax over those 30 years too.

11. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

Network Railcard restriction technically applies before 1000 too.

12. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

Ah yes right, of course they’d need to have different names because only the “freedom pass” needs to be valid on buses across England...

13. oddiesjack

oddiesjack Member

Even for those of us with ENCTS passes and a Senior Railcard, PlusBus can be useful in reducing journey costs if your bus travel is before 09.30.

14. Qwerty133

Qwerty133 Established Member

I presume it'd also be useful for English pensioners visiting Scotland or Wales.

15. krus_aragon

krus_aragon Established Member

And vice-versa. (Waiting until 09:30 doesn't help if your bus pass isn't issued by an English council.)

16. Leisurefirst

Leisurefirst Member

I have often wondered if you can buy ONE discounted PlusBus ticket with your pair of Two Together railcard discounted tickets if one of you already has a concessionary bus pass?

17. A Challenge

A Challenge Established Member

Or can you buy an undiscounted plusbus to go with a discounted ticket (for the same reason)?