• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PlusBus Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote to Plusbus a while ago suggesting that in the case of West Yorkshire you could create a station group called for example WEST YORKS+BUS and have Bradford+bus, Leeds+bus etc link to and print as that instead. You could also then add the Plusbus option for all other stations in West Yorkshire. They didn't fancy the idea.

I have been questioned while using Plusbus tickets outside the respective town/city sometimes but the drivers have always taken my assurance that it is valid throughout West Yorkshire.

Did you get a reply ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

barrykas

Established Member
Originally, West Yorkshire PlusBus tickets were printed as +BUSWY. Similarly, South Yorkshire ones were printed +BUSSY, Greater Manchester as +BUSGM, "Greater Bristol" as +BUSGB, etc but that was dropped a while ago, presumably to standardise the product across the country.

34D

Established Member
Originally, West Yorkshire PlusBus tickets were printed as +BUSWY. Similarly, South Yorkshire ones were printed +BUSSY, Greater Manchester as +BUSGM, "Greater Bristol" as +BUSGB, etc but that was dropped a while ago, presumably to standardise the product across the country.

I seem to recall that when first introduced we did indeed have separate Leeds and Bradford plusbuses - does anyone recall?

trainophile

Established Member
You can get it at your destination if that's more convenient. Ask to keep your tickets if there are barriers so you can show them when buying the PlusBus tickets.

Hope it's okay to bump this oldish thread, but can anyone verify the above, as I was told today that I should have bought the PlusBus ticket before I started my journey. I've looked at the PlusBus T&Cs but this wasn't covered in the FAQs.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
PlusBUS FAQ said:
2. I have already bought my
train ticket, can I still buy
PLUSBUS for my journey?
Yes, if you take your valid train
ticket to any train station ticket
office, ask for PLUSBUS for either
the origin and/or destination
town of your rail journey. You
will be asked to pay the
appropriate PLUSBUS ticket price.
I'd have thought this would cover it. My experience is that I've not had a problem, though some staff don't remember how to issue the tickets.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
I've used PlusBus in the West Midlands (very useful), Bristol (rather useful) and Oxford (fairly useful). It really should be advertised more widely than it is.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
I'd have thought this would cover it. My experience is that I've not had a problem, though some staff don't remember how to issue the tickets.

And LO won't issue it at ELL stations even if you have a valid ticket. DC line stations are better though at issuing it.

trainophile

Established Member
Originally Posted by PlusBUS FAQ
2. I have already bought my
train ticket, can I still buy
PLUSBUS for my journey?
Yes, if you take your valid train
ticket to any train station ticket
office, ask for PLUSBUS for either
the origin and/or destination
town of your rail journey. You
will be asked to pay the
appropriate PLUSBUS ticket price.

Thanks for this, it's a bit open to interpretation isn't it, but in the literal sense I would maintain that it is allowable to purchase one upon arriving at my destination. I can quite see why ticket office staff might interpret it differently. I'll just have to be better organized in future!

barrykas

Established Member
Thanks for this, it's a bit open to interpretation isn't it, but in the literal sense I would maintain that it is allowable to purchase one upon arriving at my destination. I can quite see why ticket office staff might interpret it differently. I'll just have to be better organized in future!

You should be able to buy PlusBus for the relevant area at your origin or destination (or any other station), or on board, but some staff seem to think you can't buy it once you've arrived.

The only restriction is that you can't buy it where the train journey is wholly within a single PlusBus area, so you couldn't buy Reading PlusBus for a journey from Tilehurst to Reading, for example. Similarly, Sheffield PlusBus wouldn't be available for Doncaster to Sheffield, and Manchester PlusBus wouldn't be available for Blackrod to Manchester.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
And LO won't issue it at ELL stations even if you have a valid ticket. DC line stations are better though at issuing it.
I've had no problems getting out of the norm tickets (including PlusBus) from Shoreditch High Street... I don't think it is a general rule for the ELL as you imply. ;)

TP

Status
Not open for further replies.