• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pluto, no longer a planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simming

thats true, you american fat cats have deceeded to claim it yours. its now a state of america.

Gareth Hale

Simming said:
thats true, you american fat cats have deceeded to claim it yours. its now a state of america.
Since it was discovered by an American, it is actually American and there is nothing you can do about it, if you dont like that, look for a planet!

Also, please, check all spellings before posting!

Dennis

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
Since it was discovered by an American, it is actually American and there is nothing you can do about it, if you dont like that, look for a planet!

By that logic, Uranus is English!

Gareth Hale

It is English, whoever finds new stuff which has not been descovered is legally the owner.

Simming

Gareth Hale said:
It is English, whoever finds new stuff which has not been descovered is legally the owner.

**** off if your going to have a go at me and my spellings whens yours is just as bad, dickweed

Table 52

Getting back on topic (but I do love the insult 'dickweed'!) If it's not a planet, what is it?

devon_metro

Established Member
No Gareth it doesn't mean it's american. It measn it was discovered by an American. Australia, i believe was discovered by a Britain yet it is not British.

LondonBVE

In Singapore Pluto being known as the dwarf planet it just a small deal. The papers don't even have it, only the news gave us a short description and end. Anyway americans also send an aircraft to Pluto to check it out, if it can considered as a planet and if possible the aircraft might do some sight view on the 10 planet.

Guinness

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:

ROFL

That has made my day!! Maybe you should be taking your own advice Gareth now and again. ;)

Gareth Hale

Liam said:
Gareth sounds like my English teacher ;)

Oh- and you don't want to meet it/her ;)

Your in Year 9 correct? Let me tell you, Year 12 teachers are a lot more strict 'oooo you handed in your homework 5 minutes late, here, half credit max'

H

HR2

Don't criticise each others spelling lads. Everybody makes mistakes. They may know how to spell something correctly but in the hurry of typing misspell it as I often do. Or get the grammar/syntax wrong as I did a couple of day ago when Craig pointed it out to me.

Anyway the general standard of spelling is appalling nowadays where you even see stupid mistakes on the TV teletext quite often. You can't blame the pupils totally, the teachers are just as bad. Some of them should never have been given a teaching job. Spelling is academic anyway [no pun] what a schooler should strive for is a SKILL to see them through life. Don't go to uni for a mickey mouse degree either. Get a degree that will be USEFUL to you and others. Not one of these arty farty efforts.

Three things to follow here:

While at school do your best but don't try and overstep your limits. Get the basics of reading, writing and math under your belt [Very inportant to learn times tables. Boring I know but will see you in good stead]

Try to learn a skill while still at school [if they still teach them] Science classes can be good if taught properly. Science will also see you earn more money than art.

IF you can get an apprenticeship in any trade then grab that with both hands. I will see you through till your dying day.

Lastly don't blame yourselves for all your failings. It is NOT you that is often at fault. It is the system

Simming

I dont mind people having a go at my spelling, but only if theres is correct

However, I dont like hypocrites that have a go about something when they're in the wrong as well

Nick W

Established Member
English's spelling was very phonetic (as much as German at least) until the French f***ed up our language.

About time we start a spelling reform for dyslexic people. After all we build ramps for disabled people.

H

HR2

Nick W said:
English's spelling was very phonetic (as much as German at least) until the French f***ed up our language.

About time we start a spelling reform for dyslexic people. After all we build ramps for disabled people.

OK then Nick I challenge you. Write a post in phonetic english ! :king: :toothy7:

Nick W

Established Member
English
Hellfire
(Problem: Why the 2 ls? Why does i_e turn into /ai/_

IPA
ipadf7.png

(Problem: hard to learn, need new keyboard)

Esperanto Alphabet
Helfajr
(Problem: Vowel pronounciation depends on accent (esperanto is international so vowells have a long range.) Some letters not featered eg w)

Cyrillic
cyrox1.png

(Problem - no H)

Shavian
Shavian-ha-ha.png
Shavian-egg.png
Shavian-loll.png
Shavian-fee.png
Shavian-ice.png
Shavian-roar.png

(Problem: need to learn new alphabet, need new keyboard, no computer support unlike IPA, cyrillic, etc)

shavian.gif

H

HR2

What this world full of computers needs a symbol alpahabet like Chinese or Japanese. Where ech symbal means a complete WORD. I'll elaborate later on.

Nick W

Established Member
HR2 said:
What this world full of computers needs a symbol alpahabet like Chinese or Japanese. Where ech symbal means a complete WORD. I'll elaborate later on.

I presume you're being satirical.

One of the options the Chinese Government looked at was esperanto. They instead went with making Mandarin official, simplifying its symbols and making pinyin the official romaniasation, to allow chineses to be typed.

If we had a symbol system things would get a lot more complex. Harder to read a word you dont know or look it up.

H

HR2

Nick W said:
I presume you're being satirical.

One of the options the Chinese Government looked at was esperanto. They instead went with making Mandarin official, simplifying its symbols and making pinyin the official romaniasation, to allow chineses to be typed.

If we had a symbol system things would get a lot more complex. Harder to read a word you dont know or look it up.

No, not satirical, practical. I mean symbols that would be understood in ANY country in the world no matter what language was spoken. I small picture of a house [three sided square with inverted v on top] would be recognised anywhere as the word 'House' or 'Home ' A small pic of a fish outline would similary be seen by anyone from Andorra to Zimbabwe as exactly that. A fish. A star would be seen as what is meant.

I realise that it would take about 5/600 symbols for general use but it could be made that when writing to foriegn lands you use a programme thats lets you type in the word you want in your own tongue and the symbol for what you mean will appear on the remote PC so they will know what you are talking about even if the syntax is all poop.

Nick W

Established Member
HR2 said:
No, not satirical, practical. I mean symbols that would be understood in ANY country in the world no matter what language was spoken. I small picture of a house [three sided square with inverted v on top] would be recognised anywhere as the word 'House' or 'Home ' A small pic of a fish outline would similary be seen by anyone from Andorra to Zimbabwe as exactly that. A fish. A star would be seen as what is meant.

I realise that it would take about 5/600 symbols for general use but it could be made that when writing to foriegn lands you use a programme thats lets you type in the word you want in your own tongue and the symbol for what you mean will appear on the remote PC so they will know what you are talking about even if the syntax is all poop.

Ok let's take a simple sentence.

I would like fish.

Since I don't know any symbol systems, let's say that a reasonable picture for "I" could be someone pointing to themselves. For, "would", indicating a condition, two peices of string lie together with a circled knot by the strings. For like, there is a picture of a happy child. For fish we'll use a picture of one of Tom's pets.

Now the French person would say see the sentance and not be sure. In his language, he would say, "Je voudrais du poisson". Not to mention, he could say, "Du poisson me plaisait", some fish would please me. The picture for "would" and "like" would have to be squashed into the word "voudrais", meanwhile sudenly he has an extra word, "du" which must not be ommitted in the same way that we don't have to say "I would like some fish".

To further complicate matters, in English we could say "I'd like fish", which means the symbol for would and I needs to be squashed together.

Enter another language, Italian. Suddenly the "I would like" becomes vorreri, and fish becomes "i pesci". Now we have to merge two english symbols into to three, and split one english symbol into two.

What now happens when we add non european langauges into the system?

Do we just have a symbol for "I" and one for "fish"?

MAN_POINTING_TO_SELF.jpg
fish_6.jpg

Huh, you go fishing, you are a fish, you have a fish, you like fish?

I just don't see how it could work, sorry.

H

HR2

I have seen a website somewhere [if only I could remeber] where just as I have in mind was shown. The Chinese printed language can be understood anywhere in China no matter what dilaect/language they speak. I am thinking of the same principle worldwide.

Nick W

Established Member
HR2 said:
I have seen a website somewhere [if only I could remeber] where just as I have in mind was shown. The Chinese printed language can be understood anywhere in China no matter what dilaect/language they speak. I am thinking of the same principle worldwide.

A text written in standard written chinese can be read out in Cantonese but won't be the same as spoken cantonese though. I guess it's like British Sign Langauge isn't word to word the same as English.

In Honk Kong, where for a long time the communist Government has no control, there is a way of writing colloquial Cantonese which a Mandarin wouldn't be able to read.

James (EOR)

Trouble with Pluto, the moon is bigger than the planet!
It should be kept as a planet IMHO.

And these other further out planets. There be called whatever these white cloke men wanna call them.

But hey we all know theres life out there. It is impossible for us to be alone. But in our position we are very far away from a solar system that could support life. So maybe we are stuck here. Forever my earthlings...

Status
Not open for further replies.