• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plym Valley Railway English Electric Bank Holiday Weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

50Fan91

Over the bank holiday weekend of the 26th and 27th of August the Plym Valley Railway will be holding a weekend dedicated to English Electric heritage diesel traction (subject to availability).

On Sunday 26th public services will be hauled by Network SouthEast liveried class 50, 50 017 "Royal Oak" and on Monday 27th by class 08, 13002 the oldest working example of the class in the country.

The locomotives will be hauling three recently restored Mk2 coaches finished in chocolate and cream livery, two of which retain their original Network SouthEast upholstery and classic Eddie Pond artwork.
____

TIMINGS:

The Plym Valley Railway's Marsh Mills station will be open from 11:00 and the buffet will be open on both days for the purchase of light refreshments. Trains will operate as far as Lee Moor crossing, and on both days from 13:00 to 16:00 with a half hourly service.
____

TICKET PRICES:

1 Adult Return - £2.50
1 Child Return - £1.00
1 All Day Rover - £6.50
____

HOW TO FIND US:

To get to the Plym Valley Railway by car:

Marsh Mills Station
Coypool Road
Plympton
PLYMOUTH
PL7 4NW

Follow the B3416 off the Marsh Mills roundabout, (below the A38 next to Sainsburys), towards Plympton, or follow the signs for the Coypool Park and Ride Car Park, which is situated opposite the Railway.

On both days parking should be available at the Coypool Park and Ride car park. This is situated directly opposite the entrance to the Marsh Mills station site.

Alternately, for those of you arriving by train:

Walking directions (estimated time no more than 10 minutes) from Plymouth station to Royal Parade where bus stops for Plymouth City Bus numbers 20, 21 or 22 are located:

1. On exiting Plymouth railway station, turn right and follow the road as it curls up and left towards the roundabout.

2. At the roundabout, follow the pedestrian underpass and progress straight across the centre of the roundabout. Cross straight to the other side, and you will emerge from the second pedestrian underpass with the Copthorne Hotel on your right, and a student accommodation building on your left.

3. Keep on walking for approximately 5 minutes until you come to the huge television screen (you can't miss it!) The road directly behind this screen is Royal Parade. The bus stops for the above mentioned buses can be found here.

4: Ask the driver for a return to the McDonalds bus stop at Marsh Mills - he'll show you where this is.

For both days, read the Sunday service:

20:
http://www.plymouthbus.co.uk/site/uploads/publications/669.htm

21:
http://www.plymouthbus.co.uk/site/uploads/publications/752.htm

22:
http://www.plymouthbus.co.uk/site/uploads/publications/684.htm
____

Any queries please get in contact!

http://www.facebook.com/events/336585446424773/

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavidBrown

Are they still only going to Lee Moor Crossing? The new station at Plymbridge looked almost ready when I went to the area last summer - surely in 12 months even on a very small volunteer railway it would be ready by now, unless they've hit unforseen problems?

50Fan91

David - at the present time the limit of operation is still Lee Moor Crossing. Yes, there have been various issues that have had to be dealt with, some more complicated than others. I'm not really sure about the details, as the infrastructure isn't my 'area' at the PVR. However, I understand that the aim is to have trains running the full length of the line to Plym Bridge by December - the 50th anniversary of the closure of the line.

oattam09

Cracking, another chance to sample the 'Royal Oak'! I must say I do like the way you have been respectful of the name given to the loco, given the disaster that overcame the ship of that name. Having a renaming ceremony with a member of the crew was a lovely touch, and it certainly reflects the thorough and sympathetic nature of the restoration. In my humble opinion, she is a real credit to everyone involved.

50Fan91

Thank you, oattam! We were all very keen to put our 'mark' on this particular restoration, and what better way than to honour the crew of the original "HMS Royal Oak" than to apply ship's crest to the loco. We are extremely pleased with all the positive comments that we have received - and we can assure everyone that the loco will never be allowed to get in to the state it was in at Tyseley ever again!

Status
Not open for further replies.