• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plym valley to get a Pacer

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
It wouldn't suprise me at all if 144012 ends up being preserved and used by some charter firm to cover certain events e.g. Weston Airshow, Southport Airshow, Lincoln Christmas Market, Bath and Bristol Christmas Markets, Great Yorkshire Show, etc. As its more than likely that the charter firm may have access to the required tanking and treating facilities that a preserved railway currently doesn't have the funds for.
So your idea of adding capacity for events is a short 2-car unit? Charter firms won’t make anything on that - it needs far more passengers.

I really don’t get this love-in with Pacers and trying to re-use them. They are beyond life expiry and not fit for purpose - an appointment with the gas axe is the best thing for them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vlad

I really don’t get this love-in with Pacers and trying to re-use them. They are beyond life expiry and not fit for purpose - an appointment with the gas axe is the best thing for them.

I don't get the pretty constant hatred for pacers that's seen on this forum and elsewhere - but neither of us can have everything we want.

Serathor

I love to hate them - Really!
I have ridden them (142's) so I know what they are all about - but honestly I love them, while acknowledging that they are awful.[/QUOTE]

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Could 142023 go the full way by rail, or would it have to be loaded on a truck at Tavistock Junction and pulled in the last few hundred metres if there's no connection from the main line?

Plymdan

There is no connection to the Mainline at PVR so Tavistock Junction would have to be a drop off point or Laira Depot. The issue with bringing it by National Rail is cost, it's cheaper to bring it via Road as any delays in the delivery would not be incurred. As for an update on what's happening to 142023 I have no idea.

Fox023

Agree. Ever since the 117 unit came to the railway they've had issues running it. They've only ever used it as carriage stock since it's been there. Could be why they are going with the 142 as its ready to run and its not a long length line
So yesterday I messaged the team on Plym Valley Railway's Facebook mentioning the 142 Pacer and it's arrival to the railway. Alas had no reply or mention about it coming to the railway as yet. Hoping to get a reply.
Hey PlymDam
Just thought I’d update this one for you
as of 05/06/20 the PVR is still awaiting for 142023 to be retired, then Hopefully we can finally bring the ”Skipper” Home!
As for the 117DMU we worked it for close on 10 years and now it’s 1/2 way through it's restoration one unit has had all the body repairs and a repaint the interior is next to be returned then a start will be made on the other car.
I can confirm that the Skipper is not being brought in to replace the 117 Unit it’s more to continue the story of change on Branchlines in the West Country steam to DMU (first Gen) to Slipper (Second Gen) sorry we didn’t get back to you.
Regards
Paul

On Moderation
Typo (should be 'Skipper')
Don't be so sure. They were known as "Slippers" when first based in the West Country due to their tendency to display less than ideal adhesion characteristics. It was part of the reason they were quickly banished from the region.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Don't be so sure. They were known as "Slippers" when first based in the West Country due to their tendency to display less than ideal adhesion characteristics. It was part of the reason they were quickly banished from the region.

We'll be back...... Soon.

pdeaves

Established Member
Oh, OK, I hadn't heard the term used before. I guess the local enthusiasts made their own satirical name.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh, OK, I hadn't heard the term used before. I guess the local enthusiasts made their own satirical name.
It’s funny with that (being a local enthusiast).
They really weren’t around for that long before they all disappeared again. I think in a way that once they disappeared and we ended up with a ragtag collection of 1st Gen DMUs back on local services we suddenly realised how much we loved the older units and had missed them once they’d gone.
We especially liked the Bubble Cars when they came back as the 101s and 108s weren’t trains that were particularly association with the Exeter area (although we did have the odd 101 in the south west).

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Its strange,I was more enthusiastic about the 142s when they returned. When the 101/108 fleet were being run down it was always a pleasure to fail the 150 and fetch a DMU off the shed!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Its strange,I was more enthusiastic about the 142s when they returned. When the 101/108 fleet were being run down it was always a pleasure to fail the 150 and fetch a DMU off the shed!
Here’s a blast from the past for you.
I got this for my birthday a couple of weeks ago:

DF2BC164-2FF6-41F6-95D3-353CA188F567.jpeg

Nothing says ‘modern’ like painting some black paint around the windscreens.
It was almost like a brand new train. :lol:

Last edited:

Plymdan

Seeing the latest news from Rail Magazine that the Pacers left with Northern will continue with them to the end of this year, I'm beginning to think that 142023 probably won't see it's new life down in the West Country till next year.

simon7929

The external condition wasn’t good on 023 back in November last year when I worked it. I hope they have plenty of rust treatment and filler in the stores. It’s been stood for some time now. I expect there will be a lot of standing water behind them panels also not helping its case.

Plymdan

I see From their Facebook page that the Plym Valley has now asking for donations due to the Covid-19 crisis and lack of passengers, meaning some projects could be put on hold. Nothing about the 142 as one of them. Hopefully we will have some better news about 023 in the months to come and a date for it to arrive at the railway. I for one would love to travel there and see it

Plymdan

News on this pacer has gone very quiet so I'm unsure what is happening to this unit at mo. I will try and find out best I can what's happening.

Plymdan

Sadly I have not been able to find anything out about 142023. The only mentioned projects on the railways website that are taking place on the fundraiser are the steam locomotive Byfield and the 117 DMU .

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Sadly I have not been able to find anything out about 142023. The only mentioned projects on the railways website that are taking place on the fundraiser are the steam locomotive Byfield and the 117 DMU .

Why not drop the railway a line and ask them what is going on? They might not know yet mind.

Plymdan

So I have now found out some information about 142023 and it will be arriving at the Railway next year once it has been stood down from it's duties with Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.