• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plymouth - Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewart

Hey guys

have been looking for train tickets for a few days now and ended up in this forum so thought I'd ask for some advice.

Im trying to travel from Plymouth to Bristol Temple meads on Friday 02/12/11 hoping to arrive around middayish (give or take a few hrs for cheaper fares) and travel back ideally on sunday 04/12/11 leaving around 3:00 in the afternoon (again give or take). I am also willing to consider travelling on either thursday or sunday respectively if it makes a considerable saving.

It just seems to be more expensive than the last time I went and have struggled to find any cheaper deals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ps thinking about getting a young persons railcard as I will be taking a few journeys soon so that should help reduce it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
I strongly recommend getting a 16-25 railcard. I've put prices down as holding a railcard, multiply by 3/2 to get undiscounted prices.

Plymouth to Exeter St David's
Anytime Return - £12.55

Exeter St David's to Bristol
Off Peak Return - £15.85

For your itinerary it's valid by any train.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Plymouth to Exeter St David's
Anytime Return - £12.55

The £10.25 Off-Peak Return should suffice as it is valid from 0833.

Although if the OP wishes to travel before 1000, the minimum fare of £12 applies.

SS4

Established Member
The £10.25 Off-Peak Return should suffice as it is valid from 0833.

Although if the OP wishes to travel before 1000, the minimum fare of £12 applies.

Is that sans railcard? I forgot to look :oops:

SS4

Established Member
I thought you quoted prices with railcard, so I did the same. :)

I did, hence I left the £10.25 because I thought it wouldn't be valid until after 10am although that fare could have been undiscounted. :oops:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I did, hence I left the £10.25 because I thought it wouldn't be valid until after 10am although that fare could have been undiscounted. :oops:

You can still get the discount, only that the price will be no lower than £12 due to minimum fare if travelling before 10am. (You still have to pay £12 in that case.) The undiscounted version is £15.50.

dzug2

Last time I checked this you could save something like 10p by splitting at Taunton as well

bnm

Established Member
Taking into account the times you wish to travel, I think the cheapest option will be to split your tickets at Tiverton Parkway. (Railcard prices in brackets)

Plymouth - Tiverton Parkway Off Peak Return £19.50 (£12.85)
Tiverton Parkway - Bristol Temple Meads Off Peak Return £22.00 (£14.50)

Total: £41.50 (£27.35)

Travelling out on Friday 02/12 for an arrival around midday, there is the 0948 from Plymouth arriving Bristol TM 1159.

Returning on Sunday 04/12 leaving around 3pm, there is the 1544 from Bristol TM arriving Plymouth 1750.

Both these call at Tiverton Parkway, which is a requirement for these split tickets. If different travel times are required then you will need to select services that call at Tiverton Parkway. The earliest departure you can take from Plymouth on the Friday with an Off Peak Return would be the 0925. No time restrictions on the return on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.