• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plymouth Citybus

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAIRA

39 T139TFJ was reinstated today working 40/41/44.
106 148 522 have all been involved in accidents lately so could be the reason.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
Enviro 400 City 565 was on service 51 today. This one is in Plymouth Citybus colours rather than “Spark” branded.

317 forever

Established Member
I looked at their website recently, and it seems that Plymouth Citybus no longer serve Tavistock. I guess the Stagecoach service with modern Enviro 400 - MMCs is now sufficient for the Plymouth - Tavistock corridor.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I looked at their website recently, and it seems that Plymouth Citybus no longer serve Tavistock. I guess the Stagecoach service with modern Enviro 400 - MMCs is now sufficient for the Plymouth - Tavistock corridor.
These two companies have been as clear as they are allowed to be without incurring the wrath of the Competition wallahs that they don't wish to compete with each other! They each want to earn a bit of money on their chosen corridors and be happy with that - eminently sensible in my view.

LAIRA

39 T139TFJ was reinstated today working 40/41/44.
106 148 522 have all been involved in accidents lately so could be the reason.
148 & 522 have now both reentered service after repairs but 106 will take a little longer.

richw

Veteran Member

Twice daily I believe, 46A 46B are open door school services, they run in service on the non school leg as well, I.e early morning Plymouth to tavvy and an evening tavvy to Plymouth

317 forever

Established Member
Twice daily I believe, 46A 46B are open door school services, they run in service on the non school leg as well, I.e early morning Plymouth to tavvy and an evening tavvy to Plymouth

Thank you Rich. I shall look up these routes next time I come to Plymouth. I am due to do so by next March regardless of class 800/01 trains.

Wirewiper

The Plymouth Citybus route 45 Plymouth to Tavistock essentially consisted of in-service positioning journeys for the 46 Tavistock - Okehampton service, which was operated under contract to Devon County Council. That contract ended in September 2017 when the Tavistock - Okehampton route passed to Dartline as service 118.

Plymouth CityBus do still operate schoolday routes 46a and 46b between Tavistock and Devonport schools, as well as an early live positioning journey from Milehouse Depot to Tavistock and an afternoon journey back.

317 forever

Established Member
I could be coming to Plymouth this Spring now. I want to come soon, partly to increase my chances of riding an ex-Brighton Trident-President. Pictures on Flickr suggest these have been refurbished with PCB seating. When I rode an ex-London Volvo B7TL-President in 2013 it still had old GA London seating.

83G/84D

Established Member
Seems like some of the Plymouth Citybus fleet are on the move:-

Monday, 2 April 2018

Plymouth Buses for Norfolk?

I understand that Plymouth Citybus have a number of their Mercedes-Benz Citaros going on loan to Konectbus in the near future. Their intended use is for the Neatherd High School routes on schooldays and they may also be found on other routes during the weekends and bank holidays.

Another Plymouth bus heading to the Norfolk operator on loan is an Alexander Dennis E400 for use on the 5 series routes.

My thanks to John Helliwell for the information

Roy

http://eastnorfolkbus.blogspot.co.uk/

richw

Veteran Member
The Citaros have been ‘spare’ since the Volvos went on the 11.
The single decker scanias are being recommissioned for the Ivybridge Route, freeing up some E200s to release the Citaros from there spare duties. The Citaros can be found on most routes recently. The intention when they left the 11 was for them to become driver trainers, but that didn’t happen.

richw

Veteran Member
Just been told....

That 'report' from John Helliwell that Citaros are heading to KonectBus was an April fools, they aren't going anywhere.
Some of the '65 plate E200s are likely to be moved on to the 70/71, so the Scanias will fill their places on the 20/A.

LAIRA

That 'report' from John Helliwell that Citaros are heading to KonectBus was an April fools, they aren't going anywhere.
Some of the '65 plate E200s are likely to be moved on to the 70/71, so the Scanias will fill their places on the 20/A.

This maybe on hold as I am told the Enviros still do not fit on the ferry after modification

richw

Veteran Member
That quote was from a driver normally found on the cremyl service.
The 65 plates are apparently ok, but the older ones can’t get on. He said the standard livery 65 plates will have to pooled seperately to the 08 plates which they currently aren’t.

LAIRA

43 and 205 have both left Milehouse for the last time destination unknown, but probably Gilpins Newton Abbot but not confirmed.

317 forever

Established Member
I made it down to Devon at the end of April as planned. I had a day out on Plymouth Citybus on Wednesday May 2nd.

The oldest bus I spotted in service was R-reg Dart 117, still with beige moquette. I rode a total of 10 buses, all of different types, but did not venture up to Bude in the end.

I spotted an intriguing coincidence in Plymouth. GA Plymouth Citybus have 65-reg classic Enviro 400 and Enviro 200s, while Stagecoach have 65-reg Enviro 400-MMC and Enviro 200-MMC types (admittedly on Park & Ride services)!

LAIRA

39 T139EFJ now withdrawn as 69 due back next week after a MOT
486 has received a new engine
New arrival V905FEC ex City Sightseeing Oxford rumored to be for the 25 route but it looks a little tatty on the outside at the moment.
102 OCO502 has all body panels removed some new woodwork installed.

richw

Veteran Member
I saw 433 having a crash about 2 weeks ago opposite Crownhill Mcdnalds. Front lights smashed but panels looked straight. The brand new Skoda it T boned looked wrecked.

Plymouth citybus have won the 48 tender to commence from September.

Mechanically they’ve won a contract to carry out required maintanance and to house Megabus vehicles that are parked in Plymouth overnight. Another nail into stagecoach who have lost the Megabus contract to South Gloucster (who are sub contracting driving at this end to Hamilton Gray)

Cesarcollie

I saw 433 having a crash about 2 weeks ago opposite Crownhill Mcdnalds. Front lights smashed but panels looked straight. The brand new Skoda it T boned looked wrecked.

Plymouth citybus have won the 48 tender to commence from September.

Mechanically they’ve won a contract to carry out required maintanance and to house Megabus vehicles that are parked in Plymouth overnight. Another nail into stagecoach who have lost the Megabus contract to South Gloucster (who are sub contracting driving at this end to Hamilton Gray)

I'm not sure Stagecoach can have 'lost' the Megabus contract - Megabus are owned by Stagecoach. They have presumably chosen to give it to South Gloucester for financial and/or practical reasons.

richw

Veteran Member
I'm not sure Stagecoach can have 'lost' the Megabus contract - Megabus are owned by Stagecoach. They have presumably chosen to give it to South Gloucester for financial and/or practical reasons.

However you look at it Stagecoach Plymouth has lost that work, both maintanance and driving. That’s staffing not required any more.

Mwanesh

Plymouth did not loose the work.They did not want Megabus work and the money they wanted from Megabus was too much thats the reasons we were given.They were short staffed already so no job losses there.

richw

Veteran Member
Was told yesterday that all maintenance has ended at Plymouth and service buses are going to Exeter for planned maintenance. I keep seeing Plymouth buses not in service on the A38 which would make sense if no engineering at Plymouth any more.
The SN16 e200s have now moved to Exeter with Darts being sent to Plymouth

carlberry

Established Member
Was told yesterday that all maintenance has ended at Plymouth and service buses are going to Exeter for planned maintenance. I keep seeing Plymouth buses not in service on the A38 which would make sense if no engineering at Plymouth any more.
The SN16 e200s have now moved to Exeter with Darts being sent to Plymouth
An 80 mile round trip for maintenance is crazy, surely that's just a short term fix? Whoever has the contract for low loading/towing for Plymouth must be raking it in!

richw

Veteran Member
An 80 mile round trip for maintenance is crazy, surely that's just a short term fix? Whoever has the contract for low loading/towing for Plymouth must be raking it in!

The existing depot is on the Plymouth redevelopment list for the next 5 years. A Stagecoach driver i was talking with believes in time the 1 will move to operate from the Tavistock outstation, the 3 from Dartmouth, Falcon from Exeter, and 2 withdrawn as PCB and SC have each got 6 buses an hour on that route. He suspected the X38 would be used for moving buses from Tavistock to Exeter via a 1.

DaveHarries

Established Member
The existing depot is on the Plymouth redevelopment list for the next 5 years. A Stagecoach driver i was talking with believes in time the 1 will move to operate from the Tavistock outstation, the 3 from Dartmouth, Falcon from Exeter, and 2 withdrawn as PCB and SC have each got 6 buses an hour on that route. He suspected the X38 would be used for moving buses from Tavistock to Exeter via a 1.
Sounds as if ScSW may pack Plymouth in then and that could open up further options for PCB.

If the suggestion about the Falcon being worked from Exeter were to come to pass then that would be a good amount of dead mileage from Plymouth to Exeter. Also driver changes would have to be done by sending drivers on the Park and Ride services from Exeter City Centre.

Dave

freetoview33

Established Member
Sounds as if ScSW may pack Plymouth in then and that could open up further options for PCB.

If the suggestion about the Falcon being worked from Exeter were to come to pass then that would be a good amount of dead mileage from Plymouth to Exeter. Also driver changes would have to be done by sending drivers on the Park and Ride services from Exeter City Centre.

Dave
Surely the Falcon could be diverted to pass Matford quite easily for driver changes. Just bus changes might be harder, could see some additional Exeter to Plymouth falcons.

richw

Veteran Member
Callywith College have released their route map for Sept 2018 term. Quite a large increase in buses needed talking to drivers. A driver told me 513-519, plus 2 x Volvo single deckers and 1 x Dart will be the allocated fleet for Callywith. In addition the 11A & 11 will be timetabled to connect to the college timings.
I'm curious what they will do during the day as surely wont waste them parked up in Bodmin all day?
Currently recruiting for drivers for outstations at Liskeard, Callington, Launceston and Bodmin.
callywith college.jpg

Whiteway215

Established Member
Passed through Launceston on Sunday. I wasn't familiar with the town but glimpsed a red decker parked in an area indicated as leading to Newport Industrial Estate.I couldn't make out if it was perhaps a bus station? Would it have been a PCB bus and would it have been on service on a Sunday or is an outstation situated there. If it's an outstation do any other buses park there?

richw

Veteran Member
Passed through Launceston on Sunday. I wasn't familiar with the town but glimpsed a red decker parked in an area indicated as leading to Newport Industrial Estate.I couldn't make out if it was perhaps a bus station? Would it have been a PCB bus and would it have been on service on a Sunday or is an outstation situated there. If it's an outstation do any other buses park there?

There is an outstation on Newport Industrial Estate.
It’s an ongoing joke with my friend when he says he’s got to sign on at Newport, that South Wales is a bit far away for an outstation.
Traffic commissioner has them authorised for 4 vehicles in Newport. They share the station with Summercourt Travel I believe

Status
Not open for further replies.