• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plymouth/Exeter Sunday engineering work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody

Every Sunday from February 4th to March 25th 2007 buses are replacing trains between Exeter and Plymouth,does anyone know the exact locations and nature of the engineering work planned.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Woody

Can let you know nearer the time when we get the notices.........

Calling "Nad the Ned"regards forthcoming engineering work Plymouth/Exeter.
Have noticed large quantities of Track and sleepers being stockpiled alongside the down line at Tavistock junction Plymouth(under the A38 flyover),what work is planned and where.cheers:cheese:

Woody

2 66's left Tavistock Junc. late this afternoon with empty rail wagons.

Mart
Are there any plans in the forthcoming Sundays engineering blockades to re-align the the speed restricted main line curve at Tavistock Junction where it sweeps under the A38 flyover.There seems to be a lot of track and sleepers being stockpiled at this location.

Turbostar

Are there any plans in the forthcoming Sundays engineering blockades to re-align the the speed restricted main line curve at Tavistock Junction where it sweeps under the A38 flyover.There seems to be a lot of track and sleepers being stockpiled at this location.

Well, I've had a gander on Network Rail's website, but no mention of anything there. Is there anywhere where one can find out exactly is gonna be happening during the blockade (i.e. what is planned in depth)? Not sure if this kind of info is available to the general public.

Mart

Woody

I'm off work until Monday, but when go back will have a lookseeeee....
Thanks,was just curious given the stockpiling of track and sleepers at that location.There is certainly plenty of land available for track re-alignment at Tavistock junction.

GeoffM

I believe Tavistock Jn is a virtual quarry and storage area. It may not necessarily mean that any work is going to take place there; just that stuff is stockpiled ready for whatever work is in the region.

There's no mention of any engineering work between Exeter and Plymouth on either National Rail or First Great Western websites.

Geoff M.

GeoffM

Perhaps it's been cancelled? Both websites mentioned contain lots of engineering work for the next two months, but neither mention anything between Exeter and Plymouth. I'm not saying it won't happen, there just seems to be a lack of up-to-date evidence.

Geoff M.

Nat the Ned

Perhaps it's been cancelled? Both websites mentioned contain lots of engineering work for the next two months, but neither mention anything between Exeter and Plymouth. I'm not saying it won't happen, there just seems to be a lack of up-to-date evidence.

Geoff M.

Sundays 4th February to 25th March the line between Plymouth and Exeter WILL be closed.

GeoffM

Odd that there's no mention of it on the NR or FGW websites then! Especially as it's so soon.

Geoff M.

Nat the Ned

Right, this Sunday sees track renewal between Lipson and Laira Junctions. 3 trains on site. 6W14 21:07 ex St.Blazey and 6W05 21:37 ex St.Blazey on the Saturday night. Another train ex Westbury.

GeoffM

I sent an email to FGW customer services, asking what the situation was.

The reply? None. That was over a week ago. This is standard FGW service it seems.

Geoff M.

Turbostar

None??? Don't FGW know what's going on? Work was taking place last sun just gone. Was strange not hearing any trains going past, your so used to hearing them lol.

Mart

Andrew

And in the national rail journey planner! What more do you want? It's not a change to the advertised service - the advertised service is the buses.

GeoffM

Andrew, it's NOT the advertised service, that is the problem. If I'm looking online at schedules in general, I want to know that Sundays are different through February. Yes, it's in the planner for specific look-ups - but so are services that ARE advertised as being affected by engineering work. This alteration is NOT listed in the engineering work sections on either the FGW or the NR websites. Why the difference?

If we took your argument to its logical conclusion, then NR should never advertise any known engineering work since it's all been planned months in advance, with a replacement service "advertised".

Geoff M.

Nat the Ned

Sundays 4th February to 25 March Plymouth to Exeter is closed. This is written into the NRT, with the buses showing in the NRT. Therefore the advertised service for these Sundays is buses. FGW Train Times booklet 'B' clearly shows this.

As for this Sunday (11th) more work around Laira Jn featuring two trains, and some more track renewal just west of Newton Abbot, with seven trains.

N

devon_metro

Established Member
Sundays 4th February to 25 March Plymouth to Exeter is closed. This is written into the NRT, with the buses showing in the NRT. Therefore the advertised service for these Sundays is buses. FGW Train Times booklet 'B' clearly shows this.

As for this Sunday (11th) more work around Laira Jn featuring two trains, and some more track renewal just west of Newton Abbot, with seven trains.

N

Do you know what is happening on the 24th (saturday) with Totnes-Plymouth closed? Will London trains terminate at Newton Abbot?

Woody

Do you know what is happening on the 24th (saturday) with Totnes-Plymouth closed? Will London trains terminate at Newton Abbot?

According to Network Rail http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse documents/Rules Of The Route/Outrotr7/70gw07.pdf Page 140 RAIL REPLACEMENT ROAD SERVICE TO OPERATE BETWEEN NEWTON ABBOT AND PLYMOUTH.The above link also shows bustitution every Saturday 24th February to 24 March inclusive as well as every Sunday Feb 4th to March 25th inclusive.Perhaps somebody could confirm this.

Status
Not open for further replies.