• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plymouth Route Screens & Status update

Status
Not open for further replies.

leezer3

Hiya all,
Well, the inevitable has happened :p - A release! Perhaps a little later than planned (British Rail anyone?), but it has been fixed and done to a public standard.

Find it at http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk as usual.

The screens:
largin.jpg

Largin Viaduct
house_hr.jpg

Hi-Res upgraded house
This hi-res upgrade & another in action:
texup.jpg

Hi-res upgrades screenshot
key1.jpg

A ton of new housing & a re-written hill at Keyham

Small note- The JPG compression does damage the hi-res effects a little. For the most part, on the upgraded stuff, the side and end texture res for a standard house has increased to 256x 512 & 512x 512 respectively.
This may seem quite a bit, but it looks a huge amount better.

Cheers

Chris Lees

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leezer3

No probs :)
Not totally sure how the size textures I'm using will impact lower end machines, as AFAIK, no-one has really tried higher res textures in BVE, but have tiled them instead, or used separate textures for different things.

We shall see lol.

Chris Lees

leezer3

Nice screenshots! I remember seeing the first one somewhere on the forum. Keep up the good work.

Yup, IIRC I posted the first one at TS back in August & on my site, but nowhere else.
Added another screen to the first post.

The total download size is currently going to be about a megabyte bigger, no real new objects, just hi-resing the existing ones. We shall see what else I add before release of this one :p

Chris Lees

Boxcars

Hi Chris,

You might remember that I'm an old fan of this route. Glad you're still working on it. ;)

I await further developments with interest.

Neil

leezer3

Cheers all :)
If anyone with a lower end PC would care to let me know any effects on framerate, I'd be most grateful.

Weather is in the pipeline next, as well as the additional trackwork.

Chris Lees

nath9425

Well to be honest I was quite shocked! Driving a HST at 60mph round those bends werent pritty! Passenger Comfort Levels! I think the speed limit should be no more than 40mph because I was all over the place! LOL! Only a reccomendation. Otherwise it looks good!
Another reccomendation : I think you should produce a route map so I can print it off and know where Im going!

Well done
Nath

devon_metro

Established Member
Well to be honest I was quite shocked! Driving a HST at 60mph round those bends werent pritty! Passenger Comfort Levels! I think the speed limit should be no more than 40mph because I was all over the place! LOL! Only a reccomendation. Otherwise it looks good!
Another reccomendation : I think you should produce a route map so I can print it off and know where Im going!

Well done
Nath

But that is the actual limit....

Boxcars

Hi Chris,

I’m a lower end PC user (for BVE anyway, unfortunately … integrated graphics and all that :roll: ). Here are the results of my journey on your route. My fps varied between about 6 and 14 in BVE4 :sad10: (although much better in BVE 2.6.3)

After Saltash, I must say (being a compulsive HST fan and therefore a BVE HST driver) the ride gets a bit scary :shock: when it gets up to 60. I know that the route here, as you enter Cornwall, is subject to a 60 limit because I’ve hung out the window many times along this stretch and know the route. But travelling at 60 round your bends, with the resulting centrifugal force, would have flung me right out of the open window at the door and landed me with the sheep :dontknow: (not nice), not to mention the inevitable derailment which I missed :rolleyes: (I got out first !). I’ve tried this route in the Class 104 DMU not going above 30 and it’s a great drive. I love your route Chris (particularly the ride up to the Royal Albert Bridge). Keep up the good work and get me down to Penzance (St Erth anyway…change for St Ives). :thumblef:

leezer3

Ouch. How much of a hit is that from the previous version may I ask?
I know I've increased the resolution of large numbers of textures, & added in quite a lot more stuff, and I think it was mostly worth it.
The bends, yes they are on the list of things to be 'dealt' with, but IMHO they are more prototypical than they sometimes get credit for :p

Download wise, its on this page, should be obvious :) http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk/fusion/readarticle.php?article_id=3

Route map wise, thats something that really ought to be done soon & included in the download ;)

Cheers

Chris Lees

TomBoyRacer

Hi Chris. Loved the route as always, I do think it would benefit from revising the curvature somewhat as other people have said, and possibly also altering some of the signalling. If you'd like any help building various bits then please do get in touch. i don't have a cabride vid but i do have my memory to fall back on.

local.live.com is a rather detailed and useful tool which can help you get the curve radii more accurate to reail life. in some more detailed areas, individual signals, relay cabinets and even OHLE overlaps can be made out! i wish it had been around when i started york- doncaster

there is a rare double yellow shunt signal at the siding exit at keyham too.

devon_metro

Established Member
The curves are silly I find. Really does need sorting as it is not like that on the actual route!

I have also found the HST route file tried to load my BVE2 version of the HST, so had to change that.

it would be interesting to have a modern day route with 158, 153, HST, Voyager, class 66 and the like.

leezer3

there is a rare double yellow shunt signal at the siding exit at keyham too.

If its the place I'm thinking of, then thats not actually a siding per-se, but rather the exit from the military railway system. Most of its disused now, but I do remember a purple 08 that was down there probably back in '98 or so. Might be there still- Dunno :)

There's nothing as such that I really need ATM; A cabride would be nice if one's around, but I haven't come across one.

Most of the signalling at the stations is accurate to whats there; I'm sure there must be more sections in the countryside than what I have there ATM, but again this is something that I need to work on, so to speak.

Cheers

Chris Lees

1D53

Established Member
Got caught out very easily by the single yellow going straight into a red at Keyham! Some of the signals are very hard to spot because of the large no trespass boards. I similarly got stuck for over 10 minutes at St Budeaux on the non stop HST run - not sure why but it was quite boring :p

The curves were very rough in the BVE2 HST that the game loaded by default - however I used routeriter and with a BVE4 Voyager it was a lot more stable.

devon_metro

Established Member
If its the place I'm thinking of, then thats not actually a siding per-se, but rather the exit from the military railway system. Most of its disused now, but I do remember a purple 08 that was down there probably back in '98 or so. Might be there still- Dunno :)

There's nothing as such that I really need ATM; A cabride would be nice if one's around, but I haven't come across one.

Most of the signalling at the stations is accurate to whats there; I'm sure there must be more sections in the countryside than what I have there ATM, but again this is something that I need to work on, so to speak.

Cheers

Chris Lees

A set of flasks went in a few weeks back...

nath9425

Well we've all had a Debating discussion about our Coffee and Donuts being chucked to the cows when were Flying round corners with 1005 Gallons of diesel in our engines! Im not to sure where the passengers Ham Sandwiches got to either!
Thanks for the route map! Makes it a lot easier!

Nath

Status
Not open for further replies.