Plymouth to Bath Spa

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by PearoTheHero, 13 Jun 2019 at 22:21.

1. PearoTheHero

PearoTheHero Member

Possibly travelling from Plymouth to Bath Spa this Sat am returning Sun pm. 2 adults 2 under 4s.

Return ticket weighing in at approx £122.80

Usually if i travel to London from Plymouth on a weekend we can upgrade for about £25 per adult for first class. Would there be a similar deal or cheaper to get us up to Bristol TM for the first leg of the trip?
    Thanks in advance

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. gazthomas

gazthomas Established Member

Do you have a railcard?

4. PearoTheHero

PearoTheHero Member

Negative

5. gazthomas

gazthomas Established Member

Maybe worth your while getting a Two Together Railcard, even if you use it once

6. PearoTheHero

PearoTheHero Member

Thanks gazthomas I didn't even know those existed ! Winner

7. The Ham

The Ham Established Member

I've found that you can sometimes get a first class ticket between Plymouth and Exeter on XC for the same cost as a standard class ticket, so it could be worth looking at splitting your tickets at Exeter. Although you'll find that your more likely to get a better deal if you can book more than a few days in advance.

The other place which could be worth looking to split the ticket at is Taunton as there's competition between XC & GWR South of there.

It's worth using the GWR booking engine on a PC to see what deals you can find.

8. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It's cheaper to split at Exeter in any case and all trains stop there I think, so no issue with validity.

At that sort of price, it is worth getting a Railcard. A Family and Friends Railcard may be better for you depending on when your little ones turn 5. The card will pay for itself in this one journey even if paying the full £30 at the station. You will need to purchase a child ticket for one of your kids to benefit from the Family and Friends Railcard but it should still be worth it.