• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Podcasts you’d recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
"Well There's Your Problem" is an amusing* podcast about engineering disasters, which also includes slides (and John Madden/Alan Hansen-style red pen explanations) if you listen to it on YouTube.

*= some of the humour is of the "gallows" variety, so those of a sensitive disposition may find some of the humour inappropriate.

Clarification: The tragedies talked about are dealt with sympathetically in terms of the victims- the "dark humour" is aimed squarely at those who made fateful decisions, and those who reacted poorly once the disasters happened.
That looks really interesting. I’ll definitely be giving it a listen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nippy

Has anyone listened to ‘That Peter Crouch podcast’ on BBC iplayer radio yet?
For anyone interested in football, or even if you’re not that interested, I’d recommend it.
It’s interesting and very funny at times.
Plus one for this. I find it very funny and enjoy listening in the car on the way to work.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Plus one for this. I find it very funny and enjoy listening in the car on the way to work.
I’m currently reading his autobiography so will probably give it a go.
Off the Ball is also another football podcast - mainly Scottish football chat but is definitely a very enjoyable hour.

superjohn

A BBC Podcast that had me completely engrossed was Thirteen Minutes to the Moon.

The first "season", broadcast last year, chronicled the Apollo project from its start up to 1969, in order to fully dissect the Mission Control audio recording of the thirteen minute descent of the Apollo 11's lunar lander to the surface of the moon.

The second season, currently being broadcast, takes the same detailed look at how Apollo 13 went wrong, and was subsequently rescued.

Oh, and the podcast's music is composed by the famed movie composer Hans Zimmer!
I’ll give another vote for these. They are fascinating and do a really good job of explaining the sometimes highly technical matters involved in an understandable way.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Today's is excellent - deals with the Penn Railroad rail crash of 1953, Gareth Dennis is the guest. It's a great listen.
I had a go at listening to one yesterday but couldn’t get it working so I gave up. If anyone had the time to find an audio link that would work on my iPhone I’d be very appreciative...

nlogax

Established Member
I had a go at listening to one yesterday but couldn’t get it working so I gave up. If anyone had the time to find an audio link that would work on my iPhone I’d be very appreciative...

They're actually best on Youtube as you get to follow on with the visuals they use..it's more suited to being a YT series than an actual podcast.

The audio-only version can be accessed using the Podbean app on iPhone.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They're actually best on Youtube as you get to follow on with the visuals they use..it's more suited to being a YT series than an actual podcast.

Ok thanks for that, I’ll give it a watch later.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I listened to this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Thanks for that.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Not a podcast ( although it feels a bit like it!) but if you have Netflix "Sunderland till I die" is a great series of utter slow motion car crash TV. It is about Sunderland Football Club imploding and while "about" football it is more about people and characters involved in and around the club.

Series 2 has just landed and both sereis are worth watching. I don't think you need to know anything about football to get it. It is really about people.

The intro sequence is quite powerful and emotional if you know the area and the people. It even has some railway stuff in it. I am sure posters here will find issues with it. It has 3 class 47's in it with 2 different numbers! Oh and the livery is all wrong and so are the wagons. ;)

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I thought I’d open this thread up again as I’ve been absolutely hammering the podcasts this last 6 months (beats listening to the radio these days).
A few to recommend from me my friends. I’ll give them as Spotify links but they’re available on plenty of platforms:

We have ways of making you talk:
Al Murray and James Holland talk all things Second World War. Excellent if you’re into WW2 history and like a bit of humour to boot.

The Qanon Anonymous podcast the three guys and various guests debunk all of the conspiracy theories around Qanon but also around other subjects that come into the sphere.
I highly recommend it, it’s also very funny at times

The Crash bang wallop podcast:
If you like ‘Well there’s your problem’ you’ll probably enjoy this. I find them very funny and there’s quite a few railway references in there as well.
It looks at disasters in an interesting and humorous way, but some of the disasters are not necessarily what you’d expect from this kind of thing, for instance there’s an episode on The Crinkley Bottom Theme Park which was proper laugh out loud funny (these are all my opinions of course)

Also there’s two great railway podcasts from a couple of guys that are members of the forum which are here if you’ve missed them:

Has anyone else got any recommendations? :)

cb a1

I’m currently reading his autobiography so will probably give it a go.
Off the Ball is also another football podcast - mainly Scottish football chat but is definitely a very enjoyable hour.
I'm not a football fan, but am a regular listener to 'Off the Ball'.

If you're into economics type stuff.
Tim Harford's Cautionary Tales
Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History
Freakonomics Radio

More transport like.
CIHT Podcasts

If you're into the arcane.
BBC The Boring Talks [some are boring, but some are truly fascinating - Episode 32 - Roads that don't exist - is a particular favourite because I've met Chris in person]

On Moderation
If you like watching US politics from a distance (especially with all the shenanigans pre and post election), the BBC's Americast is a good take on it. Unlike the BBC's appalling Covid coverage, it's really good: presented by Emily Maitlis, North America Editor Jon Sopel, and North America reporter Anthony Zurcher.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If you like watching US politics from a distance (especially with all the shenanigans pre and post election), the BBC's Americast is a good take on it. Unlike the BBC's appalling Covid coverage, it's really good: presented by Emily Maitlis, North America Editor Jon Sopel, and North America reporter Anthony Zurcher.

I meant to mention that one. Yes a very good podcast much agreed.

JohnMcL7

Great idea for a forum thread as I like listening to podcasts but do it very rarely because I don't find many I'm interested in, I like the look of a few here.

A couple of my very specific recommendations for podcasts I've found good are:

The Dropout (ABC)

This is the fascinating story about Theranos which was a company that claimed to be able to do a wide range of tests from a single drop of blood taken from a finger rather than requiring a needle and promised to revolutionise healthcare. It attracted nearly a billion dollars in investment and at its peak was valued at 9 billion dollars however the technology never worked and there was never anything unique about any of their technology.

Beyond Reasonable Doubt

I'm not normally a true crime sort of person but a Netflix documentary called 'The Staircase' caught my eye, Michael Peterson returned into his house to find his wife dead at the bottom of the stairs, appeared to have slipped and fallen. However there were quickly suspicions raised and he was charged with her murder so he hired a documentary film crew to follow him and produce the Staircase which I felt was quite biased so I was impressed with this podcast which makes a good effort to take a wider look at the case speaking to more people and explaining more of what happened.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Great idea for a forum thread as I like listening to podcasts but do it very rarely because I don't find many I'm interested in, I like the look of a few here.

A couple of my very specific recommendations for podcasts I've found good are:

The Dropout (ABC)

This is the fascinating story about Theranos which was a company that claimed to be able to do a wide range of tests from a single drop of blood taken from a finger rather than requiring a needle and promised to revolutionise healthcare. It attracted nearly a billion dollars in investment and at its peak was valued at 9 billion dollars however the technology never worked and there was never anything unique about any of their technology.

Beyond Reasonable Doubt

I'm not normally a true crime sort of person but a Netflix documentary called 'The Staircase' caught my eye, Michael Peterson returned into his house to find his wife dead at the bottom of the stairs, appeared to have slipped and fallen. However there were quickly suspicions raised and he was charged with her murder so he hired a documentary film crew to follow him and produce the Staircase which I felt was quite biased so I was impressed with this podcast which makes a good effort to take a wider look at the case speaking to more people and explaining more of what happened.

I’ve listened to the last two and ‘Beyond Reasonable Doubt’ was superb.
There’s a couple of other true crime ones that I’d highly recommend too which are: End of Days - About the Waco siege

Also ‘The Ratline’ about the search for what happened to a high level Nazi who tried to escape to Argentina after the war. Completely fascinating.

bspahh

Established Member
These are some more podcasts that I like

Ross Noble's podcast with Ed Kavalee where they discuss music videos

Nathalie Haynes Stands up for the Classics (stories from ancient Greece and Rome)

Rule of Three. Script writers Jason Hazeley and Joel Morris with guests on fine comedy writing

Jokes with Mark Simmons takes dead jokes and tries to fix them.

Harry Hill's Noise

Dan Snow's History Hit has good history documentaries

Something Rhymes with Purple has word origins with Susie Dent and Gyles Brandreth

My Time Capsule. Interviews with Michael Fenton Stephens

Grounded with Louis Theroux.

The Last Call with John Sweeney and Michael Weiss. Politics

Numberphile - stories about Maths

Peter C

Established Member
I can also recommend another one of Brady's ventures; that being his 'Hello Internet' podcast with fellow YouTuber CGP Grey. The most recent episode is from January last year, and whether they've stopped it or not I don't know, but the 136 episodes they have online now are brilliant. Most of the episodes are between 1 and 2 hours long, and they discuss quite a few topics which make more sense if you had listened to them at the time, but that doesn't affect the rest of the content. They have a website for it: http://www.hellointernet.fm/
Or you can find it on Spotify. It's also on YouTube.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
These are some more podcasts that I like

Ross Noble's podcast with Ed Kavalee where they discuss music videos

Nathalie Haynes Stands up for the Classics (stories from ancient Greece and Rome)

Rule of Three. Script writers Jason Hazeley and Joel Morris with guests on fine comedy writing

Jokes with Mark Simmons takes dead jokes and tries to fix them.

Harry Hill's Noise

Dan Snow's History Hit has good history documentaries

Something Rhymes with Purple has word origins with Susie Dent and Gyles Brandreth

My Time Capsule. Interviews with Michael Fenton Stephens

Grounded with Louis Theroux.

The Last Call with John Sweeney and Michael Weiss. Politics

There’s a couple in your list that I listen to and there’s a couple that I’ll definitely try tomorrow. Thanks for that.

bspahh

Established Member
Thread reopened on request by @bspahh . :)
On the Numberphile Youtibe channel, this Hannah Fry talking about the maths of designing a railway timetable

This episode of the Something Rhymes with Purple podcast with Susie Dent and Gyles Brandreth is on the entymology of railway words

I only listen to history podcasts but i recommend Not Just the Tudors and the Ancient Warfare podcast
Those are from History Hit. https://www.historyhit.com/podcasts/

There is also "Dan Snow’s History Hit" podcast which has an episode most days across a range of periods.

I also like "The Rest is History" https://play.acast.com/s/the-rest-is-history-podcast and "The History of England" https://thehistoryofengland.co.uk/podcasts/history-of-england/ and "I've Been Thinking with Peter Frankopan" https://www.globalplayer.com/podcasts/42Kth5/

Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Here is my list, some of which will have been mentioned, they are mostly history
  • Athletico Mince
  • 13 minutes to the moon
  • Atomic Hobo - I cant take much of this. It is about nuclear war. It is interesting but depressing in equal measures!
  • Cold War Conversations - superb interviews with all manner of people from the cold war, form kids growing up in Romania via Submarine captains and spies to the son of a soviet premier.
  • History Hit
  • Histories of the unexpected
  • No such thing as a fish
  • Quickly Kevin will he score?
  • The Ancients
  • The Mariners Mirror podcast - Naval History
  • The Rest is History
  • the WW2 podcast
  • Tommies & Jerries
  • Warfare

and of course: We have ways of making you talk!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The Bugle a satirical current affairs podcast hosted by Andy Zaltzman and a rotating band of other comedians (usually British, Australian or US based). Comes out roughly once a week and discusses the headlines for the week just gone from a satirical sometimes moving into whimsical point of view. Has been around since the early 2010s and was originally hosted by Zaltzman and John Oliver but after Oliver found success over in the US it went on hiatus until late 2016 when it relaunched in its present guise. Has therefore a large back catalogue if you're happy to go over past events as well!

Very funny in my view and well worth a listen:

nlogax

Established Member
Has been around since the early 2010s and was originally hosted by Zaltzman and John Oliver but after Oliver found success over in the US it went on hiatus until late 2016 when it relaunched in its present guise. Has therefore a large back catalogue if you're happy to go over past events as well!

Good reminder. I struggled with The Bugle after it became sporadic and patchy in the wake of Oliver's increasing US success but maybe it's time to give it another go. Zaltsman has been a very good host on The News Quiz, though he's not for everyone. I watched him fail miserably at a TV comedy event once. That was one very awkward set for everyone in the audience to watch..god knows how he felt dying on stage.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good reminder. I struggled with The Bugle after it became sporadic and patchy in the wake of Oliver's increasing US success but maybe it's time to give it another go.
Definitely, I found it just as it had got patchy and worked through some of the back episodes until it was clear that Oliver was just too busy to be able to commit. Never got going with the reincarnation until about six months ago and have been an avid listener since. I don't think it's quite as good as it was when it had Oliver but it's still very good in my opinion.
Zaltsman has been a very good host on The News Quiz, though he's not for everyone. I watched him fail miserably at a TV comedy event once. That was one very awkward set for everyone in the audience to watch..god knows how he felt dying on stage.
Yeah I can see how he'd be a bit marmite! And it's why I think of almost all performing arts comedy is the most difficult!

Bit like Well There's Your Problem mentioned earlier really. They're very marmite in their approach. If you click with them you're going to have a good time, if not you'll hate them with a fiery passion! :lol:

nlogax

Established Member
he also does the scoring on Test Match Special!

It definitely suits both the show and him!

Yeah I can see how he'd be a bit marmite! And it's why I think of almost all performing arts comedy is the most difficult!

Bit like Well There's Your Problem mentioned earlier really. They're very marmite in their approach. If you click with them you're going to have a good time, if not you'll hate them with a fiery passion! :lol:

Indeed! I've a couple of friends in that line of work. It's a tough business and not one for the thin-skinned..rolling with the metaphorical punches and bad gigs / audiences is part of everyday life. As for WTYP I personally fall on the 'love it' side of the fence. The high levels of snark and crude tangential discussions are a complete joy:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.