• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Point-to-point season adding to existing zonal season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebmcr

Established Member
Hi all,

I currently live and work in London, and so I have a Zones 1-2 Annual loaded on Oyster (which is fantastic value for my West Ham-North Acton journey, from the eastern Zone 2/3 Boundary all the way through Zone 1 to the Western Zone 2/3 Boundary). It runs until late December.

It looks like I might secure a better job in Cambridge, close to the station, and in the short term I plan to remain living in London, since the counter-peak commute will actually be somewhat comparable in time, and superior in comfort, to my current Central Line route.

My instinct is to obtain a Boundary Zone 2 to Cambridge season, running for ~9 months so it expires around the same time as my Travelcard. To that end I have some questions I would appreciate help with!
  • Does a ~9 month season offer the same discounting rate that a 12 month does, or is it just the monthly rate ×9?
  • I think any point-to-point Anytime fare can be purchased as a season, with a regular conversion rate, is that correct?
  • Is this a viable plan, or am I better off requesting a pro-rata refund of the Travelcard and obtaining a new season covering the whole journey (I would assume Cambridge to Z1-6)? If it matters, I bought the Travelcard at Marylebone's ticket office.
  • I don't think that daily off-peak tickets would be a sensible option, but I am not 100% sure I've interpreted the prices and restriction codes correctly, so can anyone confirm this?
Thanks very much! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It looks like I might secure a better job in Cambridge, close to the station, and in the short term I plan to remain living in London, since the counter-peak commute will actually be somewhat comparable in time, and superior in comfort, to my current Central Line route.

Congratulations if you get it. :D
My instinct is to obtain a Boundary Zone 2 to Cambridge season, running for ~9 months so it expires around the same time as my Travelcard. To that end I have some questions I would appreciate help with!
That ticket does not exist as a season. Very few Boundary Zone extensions have season ticket versions available.

• Does a ~9 month season offer the same discounting rate that a 12 month does, or is it just the monthly rate ×9?
It is the same discount level as a monthly, so 9 months approaches the price of an annual.

• I think any point-to-point Anytime fare can be purchased as a season, with a regular conversion rate, is that correct?
That is not correct. You cannot "create" a season if no base rate is already defined.

• Is this a viable plan, or am I better off requesting a pro-rata refund of the Travelcard and obtaining a new season covering the whole journey (I would assume Cambridge to Z1-6)? If it matters, I bought the Travelcard at Marylebone's ticket office.
I can't work out the prices atm but I think you would be better off with a changeover to your new route. A London Overground ticket office may be your best bet if it were originally issued on Oyster and you now need a paper ticket. It may be a tad more time-consuming but if it saves you a wad of cash..

• I don't think that daily off-peak tickets would be a sensible option, but I am not 100% sure I've interpreted the prices and restriction codes correctly, so can anyone confirm this?
Thanks very much! :)

Anytime Day Return from Finsbury Park is £32.30, so if you have a 16-25/26-30 Railcard, you may be better off using daily Anytimes (£21.30) than an additional season from Finsbury Park, which is £122.90 per week, or £471.90 per month (~£21.45 a day on 22 days use). That is assuming a changeover is not cheaper.

button_boxer

Established Member
Is this a viable plan, or am I better off requesting a pro-rata refund of the Travelcard and obtaining a new season covering the whole journey (I would assume Cambridge to Z1-6)? If it matters, I bought the Travelcard at Marylebone's ticket office.

You definitely don't want to get a refund on your existing ticket and then buy a new one, but you may be able to get a "changeover" converting one ticket into the other one. The difference is that a season ticket refund is not pro-rata - it's based on what it would have cost you if you had bought a ticket covering just the time up to the point of refund. A changeover is based on the pro-rata prices of the original ticket and the new one you want to change to, which will almost always be better for you than a refund and new ticket (the only exception I can think of being if you want to change a relatively new annual just before the fare change date, where you could then buy a 12 month new ticket at the old price rather than just getting the ten months or whatever up to your original ticket's expiry date).

kieron

Established Member
The ticket rebmcr asked for does exist (in the sense of a ticket which does everything a boundary zone ticket does), but it's usually called something like a travelcard from Cambridge to London zones 3-6.

It costs £119.60/wk, against £162.50 for the "any permitted" ticket which covers zones 1-6, or £123.80 for the "Greater Anglia only" one (which may be as fast as TL/GN if rebmcr is going from West Ham).

Off-peak day returns from boundary zone 2 to Cambridge can be used on trains timed to depart after 9.30 according to the restriction code. I don't know what this means for a boundary zone ticket, though, as you'd start using the ticket somewhere between stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.