• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Point Work at Brum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muppet

Hi,

waking up this morning i get a phone call from my dad that theres a point failure at Birmingham. train wont be going to birmingham and will take a loop line somewhere. i will have more info in a minute

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
AlexS said:
It'll be going via Walsall or Camp Hill instead.

I thought trains normally using New Street from the "south" end (Birmingham International, Tamworth, Leicester etc) are being diverted around, so they only arrive and depart from the other end. (Blocking the Camp Hill possibility)

I travelled via New Street last night, on the 14:45 Bridgwater to Glasgow Central via Preston, and noticed a reduction in trains in the station.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Jim said:
Trains via preston go via Camp Hill anyway :P

Do they? (or am i mistaken for the location of Camp Hill?) I thought Camp Hill was at the other end of New Street, with NW (e.g Preston) trains, going towards Wolves via Cosely.

Incidently, my train, 221 142, got diverted via Bescot Stadium, so was around 10 mins late leaving Crewe, even though it often gets in it almost 10 mins early, because it runs Brum to Crewe fast, non-stop. (17:03 departure from New Street to Glasgow Central.)

When I was on 220 020 once, from Birmingham to Bristol, it got diverted through what I thought was Camp Hill, so it left through the south end (instead of the north end), avoiding the Five ways to Bourneville section, and coming back onto the normal route at Kings Norton.

nutter

Camp Hill is a line linking the Derby and Tysley lines with Kings Norton to the south west of Brum. I think you are thinking of the Soho-Perry Bar-Aston and Stechford line which takes the train to the north of New Street and then at Soho Junc. they join the main line from Wolves and then enter at the North end. If the trains are being diverted via the camp hill they will require a reversal at Kings Norton. Hope this helps

voyagerdude220

Established Member
nutter said:
Camp Hill is a line linking the Derby and Tysley lines with Kings Norton to the south west of Brum. I think you are thinking of the Soho-Perry Bar-Aston and Stechford line which takes the train to the north of New Street and then at Soho Junc. they join the main line from Wolves and then enter at the North end. If the trains are being diverted via the camp hill they will require a reversal at Kings Norton. Hope this helps

Well I actually heard the first class host ask the TM If she knew why we were going via Camp Hill, but we didn't reverse at all along the journey, even though we normally reverse at New Street, because we entered it from the end which I think is shut (leading to Tamworth, stations through to Coventry, London, Reading etc).

The part about going via Bescot was about my 221 journey yesterday, and the diversion via the line that avoids Five ways to Bourneville on another journey a month or two before that going south.

Hope that makes sense to people.

nutter

If it was the north end which was effected there would be no change of direction as the camp hill forms an 'out and back' loop and joins the WCML at Proof House Junc. If the train had came in from derby and the south end was shut i think they would have to send the train to Kings Norton and reverse as to get to New Street. I think I misunderstood your original post.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
No reversal would be required, since trains can use the Lifford Curve to get from the Camp Hill line to the Up Gloucester towards Birmingham. Nearly went that way last year, due to a Gas Leak in New Street South Tunnel, which was totally blocked, but the driver didn't sign the route, so we couldn't. Rarther irritating sitting at Landor Street Junction (where the Camp Hill line diverges from the line from Water Orton, next to the Freightliner Terminal) whilst Virgin Voyagers overtook us. Central Trains Control, with usual efficiency, managed to find us a conductor Driver and Guard after about an hour and a half, who just boarded as the signal cleared for us to head into New Street the normal way. Got £20 of Vouchers out of it though, and that was without even sending a complaints for off, since the guard took our details and delt with it (the second time I have experianced a cock up by Central Control, but the on train staff have been helpful and informative (as much as they could be with the information they had).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
So will trains from Hereford tomorrow do Camp Hill or Five Ways into BNS on the 30th? If via Camp Hill, I'm hoping for a 170/1 on the 0950 then!

I believe it's the north (Derby) end they're doing this year, hence the cutting of Cross City services? Either way, so long as the Aston to Brum International diversions are still on, I'll be happy. As I will if the non-Perry Barr route is actually running!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The debate about whether it's the "north" or "south" end is confusing, as the station has west and east ends. Both ends are capable of sending trains north and south. The work is at the east end.

Regarding trains going from the South West to Preston going via Camp Hill, this may be done to avoid the train being stuck behind stoppers and/or to avoid reversal at New Street. Curiously the loco-hauled trains last summer took the usual route via Bourneville but then went to Preston via Aston to avoid reversal. However many trains do reverse normally, and this doesn't really make much difference as they usually change crew at Birmingham anyway.

The current situation this week appears to be that trains that would normally use the east end (e.g. for Water Orton and stations north or east of there, and towards Coventry/Solihull and stations east and south of there) are heading out of the west end, passing Bourneville and turning sharp left just before Kings Norton and then taking the Camp Hill line.

Trains from the South West to the North East that avoid Birmingham simply take the Camp Hill line at Kings Norton and head directly for Derby via Tamworth.

Met Driver

Established Member
FGWFan said:
So will trains from Hereford tomorrow do Camp Hill or Five Ways into BNS on the 30th? If via Camp Hill, I'm hoping for a 170/1 on the 0950 then!

I'm afraid not. I was on the 0918 off Great Malvern (which would normally go through to Nottingham IIRC) yesterday and it went straight into New Street via Bourneville. The Hereford services aren't affected as they arrive at the opposite end of New Street station to that where the engineering works are taking place.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
What were you doing on the 0918 off Great Malvern?!

Doing that curve north of Kings Norton, man I wish I'd gone there yesterday now...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
OK. Just seemed a random idea that you were on a service from Great Malvern, what with you being based in London. Maybe it's just me...

Tomnick

Established Member
I've been on a train from Carlisle :!: . Don't live there though ;) .

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Point taken lads. It just seemed cool that there was a forum member whose rail interest is predominated in London out in the sticks at Great Malvern. Seth is about the...third member here to have been to Great Malvern, if Sprinter has been there, otherwise I don't know anyone but myself that's been there, and Seth of course.

Onto another topic, the engineering work at New Street really was great, enabled me to do all manners of lines. Did FC on a 350 from New Street to Stetchford via Perry Barr and back, 170504 to Wilnecote via Lifford Curve, 170398 back (declassified FC!) via same route, 323221 to Bescot Stadium via Perry Barr Junctions (a line that was impossible to do last time on my HoE) and back...5 new lines bashed in one day, nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.