• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pointless Bustitution

Status
Not open for further replies.

High Dyke

Established Member
This weekend seemingly East midlands Trains are running Rail Replacement Services between Newark and Nottingham, citing engineering work.

Start date 22/11/2014
End date 23/11/2014

Train operator affected East Midlands Trains

Description: Engineering work is taking place between Netherfield and Newark Castle, closing the line.

On Saturday, the 07:04 Lincoln Central to London St Pancras International service will start from Nottingham.

The 17:27 London St Pancras International to Lincoln Central service will terminate at Nottingham.

Services that usually run between Leicester and Lincoln Central will run between Leicester and Nottingham and between Newark North Gate and Lincoln Central only.

Buses will replace trains between Nottingham and Newark North Gate.

On Sunday, services that usually run between Nottingham and Lincoln Central will run between Newark North Gate and Lincoln Central only.

Buses will replace trains between Nottingham and Newark North Gate.
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.aspx

However as the usual mix of freight trains (coal, oil, RHTT trains etc) have been operating along the route today then why are EMT putting on RRB's? It seems obvious that engineering work is not taking place between Newark and Nottingham today, and a source of mine advises me that Network Rail do not have any planned work during today or tomorrow - only overnight after the service has normally finished.

So who is to blame for this situation? EMT for not checking whether they could run a train service? Or Network Rail for allowing them to replace trains when there's no apparent need? I understand that next weekend (28th - 30th) there will be a need for RRB's.

Does this happen in other areas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asylumxl

Established Member
If they weren't given sufficient notice of the cancellation of engineering work I imagine it's far better to continue with planned rail replacement buses.

Let's just say EMT reinstated the service and buses did not run. Chances are a fair number of people would end up waiting for a bus that would never turn up.

You can't really win with the British public.

High Dyke

Established Member
If they weren't given sufficient notice of the cancellation of engineering work I imagine it's far better to continue with planned rail replacement buses.

Let's just say EMT reinstated the service and buses did not run. Chances are a fair number of people would end up waiting for a bus that would never turn up.

You can't really win with the British public.
There was no planned engineering work today (during the day) though...but i do agre with your point. I have known cases of late notice cancellations before.

A number of the bus arrivals at Newark Northgate don't match up up with the train times either looking at the EMT website. In one case the wait is over two hours for the onward train.

asylumxl

Established Member
There was no planned engineering work today (during the day) though...but i do agre with your point. I have known cases of late notice cancellations before.

A number of the bus arrivals at Newark Northgate don't match up up with the train times either looking at the EMT website. In one case the wait is over two hours for the onward train.

As far as I know the dates are planned months in advane. It's possible that it might have been cancelled early on, but i'm just speculating.

It could be for other reasons. Lack of drivers? Shortage of units?

I think we have some EMT drivers on the forum, perhaps they'll be able to tell us for sure.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
From what I read elsewhere there was planned engineering works but it was cancelled.

The Planner

Veteran Member
NR pay for the buses so EMT may have avoided cancellation fees with their own bus arrangements by leaving them running.

Mugby

Established Member
I wondered about this, I saw the RRBs standing on Station Street, Nottingham this afternoon. 2 x Stagecoach double deckers.
Nothing much seemed to be happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.