• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The link that you provided does show those from the very early days, together with the evolution from one stage to the next, which is what I was looking for. I was surprised how Psyduck looked when it became Golduck :roll:

Was there one that could blow out clouds of black smoke..Or is it on this list?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Blowing clouds out of black smoke? Hmm. Unfortunately that could be a few. I would have to assume you refer to Koffing/Weezing, but could not be certain.

Sod it. Gotta list 'em all! (I'm not doing links though; that will take too long! :lol:)

Bulbasaur :arrow: Ivysaur :arrow: Venusaur
Charmander :arrow: Charmeleon :arrow: Charizard
Squirtle :arrow: Wartortle :arrow: Blastoise
Caterpie :arrow: Metapod :arrow: Butterfree
Weedle :arrow: Kakuna :arrow: Beedrill
Pidgey :arrow: Pidgeotto :arrow: Pidgeot
Rattata :arrow: Raticate
Spearow :arrow: Fearow
Ekans :arrow: Arbok
Pikachu :arrow: Raichu
Sandshrew :arrow: Sandslash
Nidoran♀ :arrow: Nidorina :arrow: Nidoqueen
Nidoran♂ :arrow: Nidorino :arrow: Nidoking
Clefairy :arrow: Clefable
Vulpix :arrow: Ninetales
Jigglypuff :arrow: Wigglytuff
Zubat :arrow: Golbat
Oddish :arrow: Gloom :arrow: Vileplume
Paras :arrow: Parasect
Venonat :arrow: Venomoth
Diglett :arrow: Dugtrio
Meowth :arrow: Persian
Psyduck :arrow: Golduck
Mankey :arrow: Primeape
Growlithe :arrow: Arcanine
Poliwag :arrow: Poliwhirl :arrow: Poliwrath
Abra :arrow: Kadabra :arrow: Alakazam
Machop :arrow: Machoke :arrow: Machamp
Bellsprout :arrow: Weepinbell :arrow: Victreebel
Tentacool :arrow: Tentacruel
Geodude :arrow: Graveler :arrow: Golem
Ponyta :arrow: Rapidash
Slowpoke :arrow: Slowbro
Magnemite :arrow: Magneton
Farfetch'd
Doduo :arrow: Dordio
Seel :arrow: Dewgong
Grimer :arrow: Muk
Shellder :arrow: Cloyster
Gastly :arrow: Haunter :arrow: Gengar
Onix
Drowzee :arrow: Hypno
Krabby :arrow: Kingler
Voltorb :arrow: Electrode
Exeggcute :arrow: Exeggutor
Cubone :arrow: Marowak
Hitmonlee
Hitmonchan
Lickitung
Koffing :arrow: Weezing
Rhyhorn :arrow: Rhydon
Chansey
Tangela
Kangaskhan
Horsea :arrow: Seadra
Goldeen :arrow: Seaking
Staryu :arrow: Starmie
Mr. Mime
Scyther
Jynx
Electabuzz
Magmar
Pinsir
Tauros
Magikarp :arrow: Gyarados
Lapras
Ditto
Eevee :arrow: Vaporeon/Jolteon/Flareon
Porygon
Omanyte :arrow: Omastar
Kabuto :arrow: Kabutops
Areodactyl
Snorlax
Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres
Dratini :arrow: Dragonair :arrow: Dragonite
Mewtwo
Mew

For in-depth information on any Pokémon, including any (pre-)evolutions it may have gained since the first generation, copy the following into your address bar and insert the Pokémon's name before the underscore (_), with "." instead of " DOT " of course:

bulbapedia DOT bulbagarden DOT net/wiki/_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

(e.g. bulbapedia DOT bulbagarden DOT net/wiki/Bulbasaur_(Pok%C3%A9mon) for Bulbasaur)

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
I hope you did that from memory :shock:

Shame on anyone who made such a list by any other means! :D Of course I did ;)

I am informed that this particular Pokemon, together with a large "snake" Pokemon, were in the possession of Team Rocket in some of the earliest episodes.

Koffing/Weezing and Ekans/Arbok. Probably the latter two if they're "large".

What Badger said. If it was a small purple ball-type thing, it was Koffing. If it was two such things fused into one, as was true from about Episode 35 onwards, it was Weezing.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've just restarted LeafGreen :D Ah, so many memories. But I'm going to attempt an all-Water team, which will be difficult given prior to rescuing Fuji you can get only Squirtle, Magikarp and Eevee (for use with a Water Stone obviously)! :? Should be interesting to say the least...

On a different note, some sad news for fans of the anime, and especially anyone who may be a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh! and others as well. It would seem that voice actor Dan Green, most famous for his role as the Pharaoh in Yu-Gi-Oh!, has lost his wife to childbirth. More here.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Arbok is the snake you seem to reference above? I'm not sure how this works, but hey.

An interesting point about this: Assuming you spell every Pokémon correctly, it is *impossible* to complete this test in order. When you get to #17, Pidgeotto, upon the seventh character it will automatically update and fill in #18, Pidgeot! The same will also occur right at the end; when attempting to write Mewtwo it will automatically update upon the end of the first syllable (Mew).

Eagle

Established Member
An interesting point about this: Assuming you spell every Pokémon correctly, it is *impossible* to complete this test in order. When you get to #17, Pidgeotto, upon the seventh character it will automatically update and fill in #18, Pidgeot! The same will also occur right at the end; when attempting to write Mewtwo it will automatically update upon the end of the first syllable (Mew).

Workaround: don't type the letters in "Pidgeotto" in order :P

Ivo

Established Member
Hmm... I think I prefer this:

P-I-G-E-O-T-T-O :p

Here's one. Do any of you guys know how to genuinely catch Mew on the original without a cheat cartridge or damaging the game?

Lampshade

Established Member
Hmm... I think I prefer this:

P-I-G-E-O-T-T-O :p

Here's one. Do any of you guys know how to genuinely catch Mew on the original without a cheat cartridge or damaging the game?

I have Mew on my Blue, Yellow and Silver (strangely I forgot to trade it over to Red, but then again I only bought Red to complete the others, it was always an afterthought) - I traded it with a friend who downloaded it at one of the Nintendo events and cloned it using Silver version.

Still don't know the 'legit' way though - if it's anything to do with the SS Anne then I managed to complete Yellow without the ship sailing.

Oh, easy way round completing that quiz in order - keep the words 'Pidgeotto' and 'Mewtwo' in a text file and copy/paste them in when necessary ;)

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
How to legitimately catch a Mew on Red, Blue or Yellow:

Advance through the game until you reach Cerulean City and heal at the Pokémon Center. DO NOT enter the Gym at this stage. Battle your way through Nugget Bridge, and then find and catch an Abra without letting the Jr Trainer in the grass see you and trigger a battle. Now, determine exactly where the Jr Trainer is looking, and stand in the same column as him, but with him off screen. At this point, SAVE in case you mess up.

Now, move down one step so that the Jr Trainer will see you and trigger a battle, but as soon as you start moving that one game square into his line of sight, pause the game, and have Abra Teleport you back to Cerulean. If done correctly, the Teleport will work and the Jr Trainer will then have the "!" sign above his head, indicating a battle - which will not happen. After this point, pausing the game will not work.

Back in Cerulean, enter the Gym, and battle the first Swimmer. Once he has been defeated, return to Route 24 (the Pause menu should now work again), and continue to head north. If everything has been done correctly, the Pause menu will then activate on its own - and upon closing the menu...

N.B.: It is theoretically possible to pull this off using any Trainer that you have to walk towards in order to trigger a battle, but the Jr Trainer mentioned above is thought to be the easiest, and that the Swimmer is not a compulsory choice either. To that point, you will notice that this person doesn't even use the exact method I have suggested and instead uses the Youngster at the end of Route 25 (another common choice)! Also, note that this was not discovered until 2003, which is why so many people are unaware of it.

[YOUTUBE]J6hU-f_Q8Vk[/YOUTUBE]

Ivo

Established Member
Another little known detail about glitches in the game:

MissingNo. (and its sister 'M), said to be the video game world's second most famous glitch (after the Minus World in the original Super Mario Bros.), is far from the only Glitch Pokémon available, and that even the newer versions - right up to Black/White - have them. Similarly, it *is* possible to find MissingNo. in Yellow, even though it was thought to have been removed. Further, most if not all of these Pokémon are actually completely harmless (apart from the well-known graphical errors obviously).

Instead, many of these Pokémon know moves that otherwise do not exist, collectively known as Super Glitch, and one of these Pokémon, known as .4, is equipped with a Super Glitch move as standard. The move Super Glitch is HIGHLY DANGEROUS - just viewing its name in any Menu screen, never mind using it in battle, is enough to corrupt the entire Game Pak, i.e. more than just the save file. It is characterised by the same blurry symbols found in 'M's name and a series of almost random effects such as the HP bar swelling and spiralling, erroneous status effects, glitchy music and in many cases the game freezing instantly.

N.B.: Under normal circumstances, Super Glitch cannot be activated. It involves careful manipulation of several game factors, as explained in the Bulbapedia guide to the Mew Glitch. It is important to note that the Mew Glitch is perfectly safe unless you deliberately manipulate it as shown in this guide.

Very occasionally, this can also be triggered by a move known as "--", which is extremely easy to trigger and can be done with any Pokémon that can learn TM31, Mimic, and/or Transform (i.e. Ditto/Mew).

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
As far as I am aware they are merely the result of a programming oversight, as is true with most if not all glitches in the original.

Ivo

Established Member
What about Pac-Man level 256? That's pretty well known :P

True, but you don't really hear anything about it. I will admit that my source is nothing more than "hearsay", but I have previously seen evidence to suggest that the Minus World is #1 (I can't find where though :roll:)

Last edited:

Bayum

Established Member
Starmie may be shocking in Misty's hands, but she's a true water type trainer through and through and is devastating in Heartgold/Soulsilver if not prepared.

Starmie itself on wifi is absolutely massive at the moment, and takes far too many people by surprise, scoring wins left right and centre in the omni-present rain teams.

I prefer my ghosts though. Pokemon Online is an amazing site for battling like

Ivo

Established Member
I quite like Ghosts too. In fact, two* of my favourite five Pokémon (four discounting Pichu, which is pretty much useless in battle) are Ghosts. I've recently done an all-Ghost team on Black, consisting of Chandelure, Dusknoir, Gengar, Golurk, Rotom and Spiritomb (Chandelure and Gengar being both the potent two in the team and also the two referred to above), and I slaughtered my way through.

In the past I've also done all-Poison, all-Psychic and all-Water teams, and as a result my current all-Water team becomes my first duplicate mono-Type team, with only Starmie appearing in both (no surprises there). But considering I had to make do with only Squirtle and Magikarp right through to Celadon, it's been remarkably easy - I had a Gyarados before Misty (without the help of the Daycare; $500 well spent! :p) and a Blastoise before Surge. Just entered Silph Co.; destroyed Erika with a newly-caught Lv30 Starmie (I evolved it immediately obviously) and now have a full team of six - four of which are slow growers (by which I mean they need 1,250,000 EXP to Lv100)...

Being a bit on the boastful side though, I would suggest that my best achievement was on Diamond, specifically the first time I played through the game as a girl (my current Water team is only my second such play) - when I traded over a Lv2 Milotic from Pearl and went through the entire game with only it. It reached Lv100 before the seventh Gym! :p And until the blizzard area, i.e. when it was in the 90s, it never went even close to fainting - only the constant Hail put it into the red. (And even then I healed it, of course.)

So yes. Enough boasting now. One last thing: So far, not including the Red Gyarados I have found five Shiny Pokémon - but I've never found on in Kanto. D'oh...

Lampshade

Established Member
When I first got Blue version, I couldn't find the way out of Mt Moon so I just trained everything up - I arrived in Cerulean with a Charizard, Gyarados, Golem, Clefable, Pidgeotto and something else. Suffice to say I destroyed Misty, Lt Surge and Erika :P

Did you find the silver Rhyhorn? I spent ages in Victory Road searching for it :(

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I have only just noticed this thread, which i am upset about as i love pokemon. I cant claim to know a great deal about the TV show but i played the games a lot. Never got any past ruby and sapphire as i prefered the old ones. Favourite had to be rattata joke :) no i loved diglett, just so cool :P

Ivo

Established Member
When I first got Blue version, I couldn't find the way out of Mt Moon so I just trained everything up - I arrived in Cerulean with a Charizard, Gyarados, Golem, Clefable, Pidgeotto and something else. Suffice to say I destroyed Misty, Lt Surge and Erika :P

Did you find the silver Rhyhorn? I spent ages in Victory Road searching for it :(

What silver Rhyhorn? Never heard of something a thing. Also, how did you have a Golem in Mt Moon? You must have found a way out to get it to evolve from a Graveler...

Lampshade

Established Member
What silver Rhyhorn? Never heard of something a thing. Also, how did you have a Golem in Mt Moon? You must have found a way out to get it to evolve from a Graveler...

Caught a Geodude, evolved it to Graveler (level 25) and traded it to a friend's Red version to evolve it (Graveler - Golem is a trade evolution) ;)

Ivo

Established Member
I know that; I'm wondering how you did that if you were lost in Mt Moon! :lol: Did you go out the way you came or did you successfully reach Cerulean first?

Also, just a little update, I destroyed Sabrina's Gyn with a Tentacruel (i.e. a Poison type, so weak to her). Too bad it ran out of PP before Sabrian and I didn't fancy healing just for PP, so against Sabrina herself I used Starmie instead. Even 'Zam - including a Calm Mind - could not stand up to two Surf attacks.

Water teams are so easy to beat the game with :lol: Next up I think will be a Flying team, but with no Legendary Birds of course.

Lampshade

Established Member
I know that; I'm wondering how you did that if you were lost in Mt Moon! :lol: Did you go out the way you came or did you successfully reach Cerulean first?

Ahh, I used the Pokémon Center on the Route 3/Pewter City side (the one you buy Magikarp from).

Eeveevolve

Take a guess what my favorite Pokémon is? Ill give you a clue. Its not the first 5 letters of my username.

Lampshade: Please tell me you didn't actually buy that Magikarp....

Status
Not open for further replies.