• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS4

Established Member
Take a guess what my favorite Pokémon is? Ill give you a clue. Its not the first 5 letters of my username.

Lampshade: Please tell me you didn't actually buy that Magikarp....

Vaporeon? The special defense tank :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
I think Espeon is probably my favourite Eevee, but it is a bit too weak defensively for my liking.

Also, what's wrong with buying the Magikarp? :lol: Is a useful addition to the team against Misty (if you can get it to evolve before her that is, which takes some doing!), and is technically the first Water-type available besides Squirtle!

I will admit though, the one on Black and White really is worth every cent of the $500 - it's the only one in Unova.

Oh, and lastly, I finished LeafGreen, as indicated earlier in the thread - and Starmie owned the Elite Four. Too bad it averaged two moves a Pokémon with a total PP of 50 - when there are 26 foes to beat :cry: I'm not wasting an Ether on a Rhydon...!

------------------

On a different note, I have learned why the internal battery in G/S/C does not last that long (estimated seven years) - it's the clock. It drains the battery like any other clock would! For this reason R/B/Y last much longer, but R/S/E don't.

Eeveevolve

On a different note, I have learned why the internal battery in G/S/C does not last that long (estimated seven years) - it's the clock. It drains the battery like any other clock would! For this reason R/B/Y last much longer, but R/S/E don't.

Just got home and booted up my Silver. (Not played it for about 3 years at all. Still kept time. Does the battery get used as much when not being played?

Ivo

Established Member
I believe so :| Because the clock is continually active, the drain on the battery is constant and not only specific to saving the game. I am led to believe that you can tell that the battery is on its last leg because the clock begins to show the wrong time, before finally giving up completely. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald have the same problem, although a loss of battery power is not terminal for the save file - it just greatly limits what can be done (no more Berry growth, for instance).

By contrast, Gens IV and V use the DS clock, so it doesn't affect them.

If your Silver is still actively working then it has done well! :) My Gold failed about five years ago...

---------------

On a different note, I am very pleased with the PUK site at the moment. The TV feed has two of my favourite three episodes from Seasons 1 and 2 (Kanto to late in the Orange Islands arc) on simulataneously! :D Too bad the other one is probably about seven weeks away yet...

One chocolate-covered donut to anyone who can correctly identify said episodes without my assistance.

Last edited:

Eeveevolve

It was out by an hour, but I put that down to Daylight savings.

I only keep the cart and the GBpocket around for nostalgia (And legal purposes for playing the ROM on my phone) XD

Xperia Play a perfect companion for the commute...

Ivo

Established Member
You're seriously asking that?

First of all, please note the very first paragraph in this thread. It specifically states not to make any hateful remakes about the franchise. This is more for anyone who might wish to use this question in a negative means in the future, as opposed to klambert's post.

What is so great about it? The people that don't know tend to be those who think that either (a) it is too cutesy or (b) that every video game has to be a clone of GTA (if not actually GTA itself). Never mind the hilarity and mis-guided belief of the latter of these; the former is extremely naïve - if anyone could explain to me what is so cute about the likes of a Rhyhorn for instance then I would be most welcoming - and surprised.

The game mixes everything that is good and not-so-tedious about the Adventure and RPG genres with such things as collecting, statistics, fighting and discovery into what is practically a sub-genre of its own. Hidden beneath the apparently cute exterior is a deep and rewarding game experience that just happens to come with the benefit of knowing you can beat those you hate with one arm tied behind your back - quite literally. All of the various side plots and quests in the games, and even the side games themselves, add to the experience to produce something that is truly unique and impressive. Everyone has/had their own favourites, and as such we all had a chance to prove that we're right and that everyone else is wrong.

And beyond the game, the anime is one of the best anime series out there, with a good mix of plot, action and humour, while the card game gives something different to enjoy.

It is probably worth pointing out that if you are the age I think you are then you would have been the age I was when the originals came out roughly when Ruby and Sapphire came out - just when the series hit its first, and to date only, sustained bout of criticism (which was unfounded anyway), which may explain this attitude.

And as a last resort, the scope for exploiting errors in the games, especially the originals, is immense, as explained earlier in this thread. As a Sociology student you ought to find the likes of MissingNo. and others quite interesting; exactly why would people be willing to risk their entire game for the sake of making things improve at a more rapid rate? such studies have been carried out before! (See here for more details.)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In the run up to this thread being created, I made a reference to the semi-canon Misty's Song - a song in which Misty declares her love for Ash. Well, truth be told - it isn't even the only such song in existence! The main difference between the afore-mentioned Misty's Song and this second one is that it explicitly states that she loves Ash ["you"], whereas the other one explicitly states Ash but not the word "love" (unless you count the Danish version, which does).

The second song I refer to goes by the name "He Drives Me Crazy" - a title which is pretty self-explanatory in my view.

Lampshade

Established Member
Take a guess what my favorite Pokémon is? Ill give you a clue. Its not the first 5 letters of my username.

Lampshade: Please tell me you didn't actually buy that Magikarp....

Of course I did, you can get a Gyarados (admittedly with a lot of patience) long before you get the Old Rod.

And I didn't know that about Silver's battery, I shall see how it's doing.

EDIT:

Name: correct
Pokédex: 250
Play time: 221:18 (ashamed)

Clock: gone, is this a bad sign?

EDIT 2: Giving the battery a bit of charge on my old GBC listening to Pokémon March on the Pokégear, feel like I'm back in 2001 :lol:

Last edited:

Eeveevolve

EDIT 2: Giving the battery a bit of charge on my old GBC listening to Pokémon March on the Pokégear, feel like I'm back in 2001 :lol:

Bad news. Its not a rechargable battery that runs the clock. Its just a bog-standard alkaline battery, the kind you find in a watch.

Now Pokémon march. That brings back memories.. XD

Lampshade

Established Member
Bad news. Its not a rechargable battery that runs the clock. Its just a bog-standard alkaline battery, the kind you find in a watch.

Now Pokémon march. That brings back memories.. XD

So I see, that does mean I can use Mystery Gift more often though, although most people worked out how to change the time anyway.

Ivo

Established Member
And I didn't know that about Silver's battery, I shall see how it's doing.

EDIT:

Name: correct
Pokédex: 250
Play time: 221:18 (ashamed)

Clock: gone, is this a bad sign?

Pokédex 250! You have everything but Celebi? Good job! :p

Like Eeveevolve said though, the save file's days are numbered :(

Also, compared to all the other dumb early bird things (well, not Pidove, but that's because I got a shiny one on the day White came out! :lol:), Hoothoot may be annoying but Noctowl are pretty handy! On the other hand, who isn't fed up of Zubat...?

Ivo

Established Member
Outside of the States (and presumably Japan), I don't believe it was available legitimately in Gen II, or even III!

Until earlier this year, when I downloaded it at an event in Bristol for myself, my brother and one cousin, no-one in my family had ever had a Celebi. I believe this was the first event for it in this country, although I may of course be wrong.

Last edited:

43021HST

Established Member
You're seriously asking that?

First of all, please note the very first paragraph in this thread. It specifically states not to make any hateful remakes about the franchise. This is more for anyone who might wish to use this question in a negative means in the future, as opposed to klambert's post.

What is so great about it? The people that don't know tend to be those who think that either (a) it is too cutesy or (b) that every video game has to be a clone of GTA (if not actually GTA itself). Never mind the hilarity and mis-guided belief of the latter of these; the former is extremely naïve - if anyone could explain to me what is so cute about the likes of a Rhyhorn for instance then I would be most welcoming - and surprised.

The game mixes everything that is good and not-so-tedious about the Adventure and RPG genres with such things as collecting, statistics, fighting and discovery into what is practically a sub-genre of its own. Hidden beneath the apparently cute exterior is a deep and rewarding game experience that just happens to come with the benefit of knowing you can beat those you hate with one arm tied behind your back - quite literally. All of the various side plots and quests in the games, and even the side games themselves, add to the experience to produce something that is truly unique and impressive. Everyone has/had their own favourites, and as such we all had a chance to prove that we're right and that everyone else is wrong.

And beyond the game, the anime is one of the best anime series out there, with a good mix of plot, action and humour, while the card game gives something different to enjoy.

It is probably worth pointing out that if you are the age I think you are then you would have been the age I was when the originals came out roughly when Ruby and Sapphire came out - just when the series hit its first, and to date only, sustained bout of criticism (which was unfounded anyway), which may explain this attitude.

And as a last resort, the scope for exploiting errors in the games, especially the originals, is immense, as explained earlier in this thread. As a Sociology student you ought to find the likes of MissingNo. and others quite interesting; exactly why would people be willing to risk their entire game for the sake of making things improve at a more rapid rate? such studies have been carried out before! (See here for more details.)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In the run up to this thread being created, I made a reference to the semi-canon Misty's Song - a song in which Misty declares her love for Ash. Well, truth be told - it isn't even the only such song in existence! The main difference between the afore-mentioned Misty's Song and this second one is that it explicitly states that she loves Ash ["you"], whereas the other one explicitly states Ash but not the word "love" (unless you count the Danish version, which does).

The second song I refer to goes by the name "He Drives Me Crazy" - a title which is pretty self-explanatory in my view.

Ive never owned any Nintendo console and I didnt like the cartoon series. Sorry if what I wrote sounded negative it's just the way I write.
The only games Ive properly got into is aurans trainz series from TRS06 onwards and a passing interest in GTA (It has a great real dark sense of humour that I like). I tend to be only interested in stuff that isnt fictional.
Ive never understood anime; when I watch people play pokemon it was like watching a slightly advanced version of Runescape.

May ask what is Missing no? Is it a charecter, Ideology or Social rule?
I'm genuinely curious why such an old game has such a big following.

Ivo

Established Member
No problem at all. I could tell you weren't being critical of the series as a whole; I just thought it would be advisable to highlight that in case your query brought about a mass-onslaught of anti-Pokémon trolls.

MissingNo., put simply, is a glitch. The programming in the original games was such that there were many hexadecimal anomalies in them, which had to be filled with what was effectively random rubbish. (Think of binary; if you have 11111111 etc there are 256 different values but only 151 Pokémon. MissingNo. is effectively 00000000 - Pokemon Zero, or "Missing Number".)

Normally, this data was hidden in the game and thus could not be accessed without hacking into the data bank. However, courtesy of a "minor" oversight on the part of the programmers, by following a very specific sequence of events in the game it was possible to access the MissingNo. data and cause it to appear as a Wild Pokémon. Doing so was thought to corrupt the game data, but in practice it only corrupted some of the graphics - and in all but one case this was only a temporary effect anyway (the one that wasn't was very minor).

Thus MissingNo. had an element of risk attached to it, but the rewards for triggering it were tremendously beneficial. Normally, the player could only carry a maximum of 99 of any given Item in the game, which made things like Master Balls (a guaranteed capture but only one was available) and Rare Candies (not as rare as Master Balls but they instantly increased a Pokémon's Level by 1) very popular. However, by viewing MissingNo. in battle, the Item in the sixth slot in the list was increased in number by 128 - perfect for wanting more of the Items mentioned above.

Not to mention that MissingNo. was typically available at Lv80 - ten Levels higher than the highest Pokémon available under normal circumstances.

Lampshade

Established Member
Normally, this data was hidden in the game and thus could not be accessed without hacking into the data bank. However, courtesy of a "minor" oversight on the part of the programmers, by following a very specific sequence of events in the game it was possible to access the MissingNo. data and cause it to appear as a Wild Pokémon. Doing so was thought to corrupt the game data, but in practice it only corrupted some of the graphics - and in all but one case this was only a temporary effect anyway (the one that wasn't was very minor).

For each one you encounter, it corrupts one entry in the Hall of Fame.

Ivo

Established Member
Is this not designed for kids?

Initially yes, because Satoshi Tajiri - an Aspie like myself :lol: - wanted children of the 90s to enjoy what he enjoyed as a youngster, such as collecting caterpillars and crabs (the inspiration for Pokémon such as Caterpie and Krabby); where he lived, the grasslands and ponds and the like were built over in the 70s making it difficult if not impossible. Realistically though, and in-depth strategic turn-based RPG was never going to appeal exclusively to young children - that is the kind of thing "geeks" like.

Like us apparently.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Initially yes, because Satoshi Tajiri - an Aspie like myself :lol: - wanted children of the 90s to enjoy what he enjoyed as a youngster, such as collecting caterpillars and crabs (the inspiration for Pokémon such as Caterpie and Krabby); where he lived, the grasslands and ponds and the like were built over in the 70s making it difficult if not impossible. Realistically though, and in-depth strategic turn-based RPG was never going to appeal exclusively to young children - that is the kind of thing "geeks" like.

Like us apparently.

i thought they were little plastic toys? Am i confused?

Ivo

Established Member
I bought the games when I was 9/10/11, doesn't mean I shouldn't play them now :lol:

I was rather older than that...

I wasn't :lol: I was 10 when Red and Blue came out - just the right age! :p

I was about to say that I've never bought a Pokémon game, but that's a load of tripe! I've probably bought more Pokémon games than any other franchise (except maybe Super Mario)! Indeed, this year alone I've bought White and then Black, and nearly bought Yellow off Ebay...

I have Platinum and SoulSilver on DS

Have you ever gone fishing with the Super Rod in the Resort Area on Platinum? If not, I heartily recommend it. Keep at it for a long time, and you'll be (not so?) pleasantly surprised...!

Eagle

Established Member
You sure about that? I've always thought it was the 1st of October 1999, meaning FRLG came exactly five years later.

And Bulbapedia backs me up on this.

Well Wikipedia backs me up, and it has a citation :P

Seriously, I can definitely remember seeing it in shops while I was at first school, so it has to be before July 1999.

Status
Not open for further replies.