• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
American versions maybe? I just can't believe we'd have received it just one week after the US. Your date is a Monday anyway, which suggests it's wrong.

I'm sure I've seen 01/05/99 before now as well though...

To be honest, does it even matter? :lol: They're old, but they're still great fun.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Yellow is my favourite gen I game mainly because you can have all the starters but I love Charmander.

Gen II is my favourite though, I liked the way you had something to do after the Elite 4 and finally battling Ash Red ;) is a good climax. Additionally my favourite pokemon (no prizes for guessing) is Gen II and some of the moves changed from Gen I to Gen II

Ivo

Established Member
Yellow is my favourite gen I game mainly because you can have all the starters but I love Charmander.

Gen II is my favourite though, I liked the way you had something to do after the Elite 4 and finally battling Ash Red ;) is a good climax. Additionally my favourite pokemon (no prizes for guessing) is Gen II and some of the moves changed from Gen I to Gen II

You sure the "SS" in your name stands for Super Sonic and not Steel Skarmory? :p

I'm disapointed that no-one else has taken up the idea of Pokémon avatars. I realise that 649 is a bit ambitious, but if four could be found for Sooty (and the shop in my case for a fifth) then I'm sure we can do that here...

Lampshade

Established Member
Have you ever gone fishing with the Super Rod in the Resort Area on Platinum? If not, I heartily recommend it. Keep at it for a long time, and you'll be (not so?) pleasantly surprised...!

Nope. I lost patience trying to catch Giratina so I used the Master Ball - I saved it before battling Azelf but I gave up trying to catch it, not played it since.

SS4

Established Member
You sure the "SS" in your name stands for Super Sonic and not Steel Skarmory? :p

I'm disapointed that no-one else has taken up the idea of Pokémon avatars. I realise that 649 is a bit ambitious, but if four could be found for Sooty (and the shop in my case for a fifth) then I'm sure we can do that here...

No but I'll take the happy coincidence :D
I think it would be easier because there are plenty of images on bulbapedia and I like the transparent background

Ivo

Established Member
Nope. I lost patience trying to catch Giratina so I used the Master Ball - I saved it before battling Azelf but I gave up trying to catch it, not played it since.

I'll spoil it then. There are only Magikarp available in spite of the rod - but it can be caught at ANY Level. I have caught one at Lv6 and one at Lv95! However, my brother can trump that; he found one at Lv98 - the perfect Level in my opinion. (Rare Candy to Lv99 to make it evolve, and then you have one Level as a Gyarados to EV it.) They are most common at roughly Lv50.

Ivo

Established Member
Hi all :)

First post, post-Southend (:roll: @ repetition).

Since I got back, I've been playing one game above all others: Pokémon Blue. Oh yes :D

I have some screenshots to share with you all! The first three were taken at roughly 22:50 on Wednesday, the next at roughly 12:00 yesterday, and the last about ten minutes ago. These were taken using the Dodrio Tower mode on Stadium, which also explains how I got through it so quickly.

For the doubters, out there, doubt no more! It is surprisingly easy - and entirely safe.

Attachments

• 151-1.jpg
    151-1.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 16
  • 151-2.jpg
    151-2.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 151-3.jpg
    151-3.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 151-4.jpg
    151-4.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 151-5.jpg
    151-5.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 11

Eeveevolve

Pokémon blue. Where it all started for me. Pretty sure I missed everything I should have learnt in years 8 and 9 in school....

But I did learn basic economics out of having it.

Buy floppy disc for 20p. Place rom and emulator on disc, sell for a pound. 500% profit XD

(I was baaad boy...)

ert47

I have caught one at Lv6 and one at Lv95! However, my brother can trump that; he found one at Lv98 - the perfect Level in my opinion. (Rare Candy to Lv99 to make it evolve, and then you have one Level as a Gyarados to EV it.)
You can EV train a level 100 monster, the stats change at the end of every battle

EDIT: ah, its only since genV. =/ Nobody plays gen V

Ivo

Established Member
You can EV train a level 100 monster, the stats change at the end of every battle

EDIT: ah, its only since genV. =/ Nobody plays gen V

I wouldn't say that :lol: Although oddly enough it was the only one I didn't play in some form or another [allowing for remakes here] in literally one day about a month ago. I haven't actually played any of them since New Year's Eve, and until literally yesterday when I went on OpenTTD for a bit I hadn't played anything at all this year. I do wonder how my Mew is doing though :p

The problem with Gen V is that it's just a little too different to previous versions. Better? Almost certainly. Easy to use? Well... maybe not. A friend at Uni told me she decided to buy it, expecting it to be fairly similar - and was quite literally stunned by the massive differences between it and her previous game. Having said that though, it was the first she had played since Gen I.

The actual RPG story element to the game though is a big improvement. I bought a copy of Black just so I could run through the story more than once (and also for boosting experience of course).

But...

Having played through Blue again, I know which is my favourite generation, and almost certainly always will be - Gen I.

--------------

In other news, until now I had never seen the episode in which Ash catches Totodile (although I knew the basic premise of both him and Misty using their Lure Balls and Poliwag evolving). Quite a good laugh if I do say so myself! And, in just a few short hours, it'll be time for some real nostalgia - the very first episode will be on the website...

Ivo

Established Member
My brother would say the same to be fair. His favourite was always Silver, which he got the same day I got Blue :|

How the heck did we meet in person and not mention Pokémon once? :lol:

Just read through the whole thread again :D

Ivo

Established Member
My brother got Silver the same day I got Blue too... (was Christmas. 2000 or 2001, not sure which.)

Definitely Christmas 2000 here. Over 4,000 days ago now.

Because there were others present...

That sounds like an admission of guilt and/or embarrassment!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The very first episode is on the site for the next two weeks - complete with *full* intro sequence! :p

Ah, the memories...

And they will be cycling through the series too. I hereby pledge to watch the whole damned series, in order.

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
Am I the only one who gets annoyed with the discrepancies between the anime and the games? Like string shot immobilising Ekans and Arbok as well as pikachu managing to damage an Onix using electricity (even after getting wet!)

Ivo

Established Member
Am I the only one who gets annoyed with the discrepancies between the anime and the games? Like string shot immobilising Ekans and Arbok as well as pikachu managing to damage an Onix using electricity (even after getting wet!)

Depends on the situation in my case. Onix was affected by the electricity even before it got wet - a definite mistake. I would be a little more lenient with it after getting wet, but electricity affecting Ground-types does happen throughout the series (the Geodude of the first Hoenn Gym Leader, Roxanne, loses to a Thunderbolt as well). I have to say though, I can see how the String Shot immobolised Koffing, but not Ekans.

Some are worse than others. They remember to make electricity useless against Gligar, which is part Flying-type, but "forget" with Onix. Still, it could be worse; I'm sure things like Tackle affect Ghosts sometimes.

What annoys me most though, and I know I've said this before, is how weak Misty's team is early on. By the time she makes a reappearance in the Advanced Generation saga, she has a Gyarados equipped with Flamethrower - but she can't give anything before then anything stronger than Water Gun! (Granted, Gyarados can't learn Water Gun.)
Just watching a Hoenn episode named Where's Armaldo?, and as is true of the later Hoenn episodes the previous Who's That Pokémon? segment was instead a Trainer's Choice segment. this time, it came up with a great question: "Trainers, who was my [Ash's] original choice as starter?" - with the inevitable options of Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle. A memory test for those who know the series and a wild guess for everyone else (and those who forgot)!

Only, this episode is airing on the website at the same time as Episode 1, Pokémon - I Choose you!. This means there is a whole new way to cheat at these things. A great try - but a fail on PUSA's part...

P.S.: The answer is Squirtle. This means that Gary beat him to it and not one of the unknown two.
A little heads-up:

A new update has recently been revealed, promoting the return to the TCG and others of Mewtwo.

To commemorate, the special episode The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon is streaming on the site. Every time this has aired something has stopped me watching it, so this is a nice surprise. (WARNING: You need QuickTime installed.)

Last edited:

Eeveevolve

Another inconstancy.

images

That is all.

SS4

Established Member
Some of those could be Johto badges... Johto and Kanto gyms are part of the same league.

Only with some retconning since the existence of Johto had never been established at that point (I believe it's an episode where Ash takes on Jesse and James for a gym badge). My best bet is that two of them are unofficial badges (like we saw with A.J's 'gym' )

Eagle

Established Member
Only with some retconning since the existence of Johto had never been established at that point (I believe it's an episode where Ash takes on Jesse and James for a gym badge). My best bet is that two of them are unofficial badges (like we saw with A.J's 'gym' )

Or maybe he got one from the Saffron Dojo before that lost its gym status.

Anyway, retconning is awesome. Look at the Doctor Who wiki for extreme retconning :P

Giugiaro

Good Evening everyone!

I've been missing a lot of episodes since November and lost the track over the Black and White season. Has I heard and read, the Battle Subway has already appeared on air.

Since all the trouble caused by the PIPA and SOPA acts that it has been hard to find a stream on the internet and the dubbed series here at my country are airing horribly late compared to the international released.

I was wandering on Deviant Art when I saw an image of one of the Subway Masters with the title: "Will you go Victory OR Defeat?".

To such question I answered simply like this: "I will go on the Victoria Line, sorry!"

I'm just eager to see in what were the subway trains based from, if they were based on an american style, a japanese style or even on our Tube style!

Ivo

Established Member
I've seen next to none of Black & White. For one thing, the new animation style (I assume it's in HD?) just looks wrong. A lot of what has been aired so far has been lacking in originality. And as I said before, Team Rocket's haplessness was half the show - but now they're competent criminals so that doesn't happen any more :(

I have a question though. How can the anime characters afford all the things they get? Do they get a weekly Trainer's Allowance, from either their parents or from the League (in which case how do they make money?)

SS4

Established Member
I have a question though. How can the anime characters afford all the things they get? Do they get a weekly Trainer's Allowance, from either their parents or from the League (in which case how do they make money?)

I've always wondered that. I believe the pokemon centres can give free food and a place to rest but otherwise they seem to be perpetually hungry. I got the impression that they were supported by parents although that would mean only the richest kids becoming trainers (but they'd go to pokemon tech). It seems like everyone wants to be a trainer but we see everyone in normal line of work and few adults use pokemon for a living so perhaps it's a kid's game in which you're buggered once you're too old.

Eagle

Established Member

Maybe they earn money from every battle, like in the games.

SS4

Established Member
There aren't all that many trainer battles outside gyms and team rocket. Perhaps they get a hefty bonus for beating a gym whilst paying an entrance fee to compete?

I find it amusing that a pokemon battle is used to judge everything forgetting the fact they could simply lamp one on Ash's head and win (reminds me of another series where children's card games are played by adults to decide anything and everything)

Ivo

Established Member
There aren't all that many trainer battles outside gyms and team rocket. Perhaps they get a hefty bonus for beating a gym whilst paying an entrance fee to compete?

I find it amusing that a pokemon battle is used to judge everything forgetting the fact they could simply lamp one on Ash's head and win (reminds me of another series where children's card games are played by adults to decide anything and everything)

I know I say this every time you reference YGOTAS, but...

When's the new episode? EDIT: LK himself suggests the answer is THIS WEEK!

[As for new episodes, next week sees the premiere of Episode 54 "They Saved Tristan's Brain", and something else... stated on February 2nd]

Seriously though, they don't decide everything by children's card games. What about Tristan's voice giving him super strength? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.