• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Police admit 'wrong' armed arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

D306

Established Member
A rail passenger was ordered by armed police to lie face-down on a platform in Dorset in a case of mistaken identity, police have admitted.
The 21-year-old was detained by two officers after the train stopped at Bournemouth at 1800 BST on Saturday.
Dorset Police said Hampshire officers had told them of an earlier firearms incident in Basingstoke and the man was then identified by a BTP officer.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission has been told of the matter.
In a statement, Dorset Police said: "The 21-year old Bournemouth man was taken to Bournemouth police station but it quickly became clear that it was a case of mistaken identity and he was released immediately.
"During the arrest at Bournemouth railway station, no shots were fired and no-one was injured."
The force said a senior officer had also visited the man and his family, who live in Bournemouth, and that an apology had been issued.
The statement continued: "Dorset Police has voluntarily referred the incident in which a man was detained by armed police officers at Bournemouth railway station over the weekend to the Independent Police Complaints Commission. "The force is also providing on-going support to the family with the appointment of a dedicated family liaison officer."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7493981.stm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ben

I dont think any of us would be too happy if we were the subject of this.

P156KWJ

Established Member
Read about this on the way to school on the bus. Was on the front of the 'Metro' free newspaper, wasn't a great way to start the day :shock:

Mintona

Established Member
At least it turned out ok-ish - they didn't shoot him, and he didnt detonate anything.

David

Established Member
Ok, lets look at this way ....

Suppose the police did nothing, and it turned out he was armed and went on a killing spree. Now, how many people here would have a go at the police for doing nothing?

Better to be safe than sorry.

jopsuk

Veteran Member

Suppose the police did nothing, and it turned out he was armed and went on a killing spree. Now, how many people here would have a go at the police for doing nothing?

Lets arrest everyone that vaguely looks like someone someone once saw looking a bit shifty, especially if they're brown skinned and have a beard!

Sorry, strawman arguements make me mock.

P156KWJ

Established Member

I can see your point, but is it really coincidense that it's nearly always people with skin other than White British are held as terror suspects. Fair enough, the people who plotted 7/7 etc were not of white complexion, but is that to say that it's not possible to have a white terrorist?

David

Established Member
From the news article ....

Hampshire police had told them of an earlier firearm incident in Basingstoke and the man was then identified by a British Transport Police officer.

Lets arrest everyone that vaguely looks like someone once saw looking a bit shifty, especially if they're brown skinned and have a beard!

Sorry, jobsuk, but who's being stupid about this now?

From the report on the BBC site, I'm assuming someone with a gun (imitation or real) was spotted getting on a train at Basingstoke. They then provided police with a description, and they unfortunately got the wrong person.

It seems as though the police are in a no win situation here. They do nothing and get criticised, yet when they do something, they get criticised again. So what do you want them to do?

Mintona

Established Member
I think it is unlikely. I do not mean to be racist in any way here, but the other "big" terrorist group, outside Al Q'aeda are the IRA, and they don't bomb people anymore. What we have to remember is that Al Q'aeda are the biggest threat to us as a nation at the moment, and though I cannot condone Jean Charles de Menezes' case, this is going to happen more frequently.

Metroland

Established Member
Lets arrest everyone that vaguely looks like someone someone once saw looking a bit shifty, especially if they're brown skinned and have a beard!

Sorry, strawman arguements make me mock.

I agree, that's why people SHOULD be worried about 42 days etc What's being brought in is way out of proportion to the risks posed by terrorism, there are far more important things to worry about.

metrocammel

It seems as though the police are in a no win situation here. They do nothing and get criticised, yet when they do something, they get criticised again. So what do you want them to do?

Unfortunately, it seems they made a pigs ear of what they were supposed to do. It appears the actual suspect was still at large when this poor chap was forced onto the floor. Fair enough, the real criminals should be apprehended, but the police should take more care in identifying the real criminals- so there is no mistaken idenity problems- like with Mr. Menezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.