• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Police at Manchester Piccadilly

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's with all the police at Piccadilly today? They even have dogs and airport style security scanners set up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Matt_pool

They've done it at Liverpool Lime Street before with dogs and metal detectors.

Probably just a random crackdown on drugs and knives.

Plus, Man Utd are at Wembley tomorrow, so they might want to stop any criminals in their tracks who were thinking of going down to London to cause trouble.

dk1

Veteran Member
Doesn't half make the shift go quicker as you watch the dogs go for often the last people you would think. Others are about to have their night out ruined before it's even begun :lol:

jon0844

Veteran Member
If it was Manchester United playing tomorrow, I don't see why they'd be looking for fans in Manchester!

_toommm_

Established Member
If anyone is wondering where, they have the metal scanner coming off the travelator that takes people from P13/14 to the man-powered ticket barrier, and this is where the sniffer dog is too.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If anyone is wondering where, they have the metal scanner coming off the travelator that takes people from P13/14 to the man-powered ticket barrier, and this is where the sniffer dog is too.
It seemed to be bleeping for everyone but nobody was being stopped. The scanner not the dog!

Thought it was funny they have it right there, any knowing criminal would simply walk down the stairs from the Platform 13/14 waiting lounge onto the main concourse platforms via the stairs...

Also, what can we infer from them having at that specific place? Passengers from Preston likely to be assailants?

_toommm_

Established Member
Thought it was funny they have it right there, any knowing criminal would simply walk down the stairs from the Platform 13/14 waiting lounge onto the main concourse platforms via the stairs...

Also, what can we infer from them having at that specific place? Passengers from Preston likely to be assailants?

I'd accidentally walked alongside the travelator because I was in a rush, and having seen it afterwards, I was expected to be stopped but they didn't!

Bertie the bus

Established Member
It was probably mostly for show. Look we’re doing something so don’t carry a weapon on the railway. It isn’t surprising it beeped at most people as most people will have metal objects on them. I would hope they would have had a couple of spotters as well checking for people who noticed the arch and then did a quick U-turn to avoid it. Checking people who deliberately avoided it would probably have better results than checking people it beeped at.

Saint66

It was probably mostly for show. Look we’re doing something so don’t carry a weapon on the railway. It isn’t surprising it beeped at most people as most people will have metal objects on them. I would hope they would have had a couple of spotters as well checking for people who noticed the arch and then did a quick U-turn to avoid it. Checking people who deliberately avoided it would probably have better results than checking people it beeped at.

Absolutely, a big part of these sorts of operations is to use plain clothed spotters to look out for those deliberately attempting to avoid the officers, arches and dogs.

marko2

Absolutely, a big part of these sorts of operations is to use plain clothed spotters to look out for those deliberately attempting to avoid the officers, arches and dogs.

...at which point they have reasonable suspicion to carry out a stop and search.

fishtastic

They had search table and an archway at Liverpool South Parkway one time when I was going from the stairs to the bridge, I asked if I had to go through the metal detector archway and/or get searched. They said no so I walked past it all and down to the platform. Not sure what they were trying to achieve really.

scrapy

Established Member
It seemed to be bleeping for everyone but nobody was being stopped. The scanner not the dog!
Unless everyone is made to empty pockets the detector will beep for coins, keys etc. This just proves it's operating normally, detectors will give off a different signal (may be visual rather than a beep) if a large metal item is detected. Some advanced detectors can also be set to only pick up metal items that aren't where you'd expect to find large metal items eg down a sock but ignore anything at pocket level.

marko2

The denizen of this forum are probably not going out a shankin' of a night - and the Police well know this. Those who the Police think might be, will avoid the arch - or simply get singled out for a search on the pretence that the arch beeped.

td97

Established Member
Similar (if on a larger scale) operation at Victoria last night.
There was a large police presence at Manchester Victoria Station last night as part of a pre-planned operation to provide 'reassurance'.

A number of travellers took to social media to report seeing around 100 officers and knife arches being used at the transport hub.

The Manchester Evening News understands there is no ongoing incident and the presence is part of Project Servator, an ongoing operation aimed at discouraging and disrupting criminality.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...er-victoria-station-police-operation-16433855

Status
Not open for further replies.