• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Police Constable to Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malala

Hi!

I just wanted to know if anyone here has been a Police Constable in the past and has made the switch to railway TFL or any other. Customer assistant, Train driver or anything really .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Teddyward

Hi!

I just wanted to know if anyone here has been a Police Constable in the past and has made the switch to railway TFL or any other. Customer assistant, Train driver or anything really .
Not yet but I’m desperately trying to!

Halfway Boy

Several, especially from BTP.

London Underground is filled with ex-BTP.

Two of their Senior Operating Officers are ex-BTP CI’s who came straight across, and there are several CSA’s and Night Tube Drivers who are ex-BTP and Met Police.

I know people from BTP who’ve ended up on the mainline too, either for NWR, TOC’s or FOC’s.

Signallers, drivers, you name it.

Teddyward

Hey mate what force do you work for and how many years ? Trying to get into train driving?
15 1/2 yrs metropolitan. Was 19 when I started and feel I’ve done my time now. I have done the train driver tests and have an interview for Anglia on Wednesday. I’m not sure if it’s for depot or mainline yet. You should be able to use your background for strong examples on any application.

Malala

Several, especially from BTP.

London Underground is filled with ex-BTP.

Two of their Senior Operating Officers are ex-BTP CI’s who came straight across, and there are several CSA’s and Night Tube Drivers who are ex-BTP and Met Police.

I know people from BTP who’ve ended up on the mainline too, either for NWR, TOC’s or FOC’s.

Signallers, drivers, you name it.
This gives me some hope!!!

Malala

15 1/2 yrs metropolitan. Was 19 when I started and feel I’ve done my time now. I have done the train driver tests and have an interview for Anglia on Wednesday. I’m not sure if it’s for depot or mainline yet. You should be able to use your background for strong examples on any application.
Good luck mate, I hope so I'm trying . PC is draining me out

Cusaeng

Not t exactly pc but I’m controll room civy staff. I passed the interviews and mmi last year. The experience definitely helped me

Jay_C85

I think like most have said already, you will find the railways littered with ex old bill. I’m ex met myself, currently two weeks away from completing my rules, the first part of training. You will find your skills, very beneficial, following rigid procedures, safety critical work etc.

If you are thinking about the jump, go for it. I’m only three months in, but I don’t miss the job one bit.

Danno85

Completely agree with Jay_C85. Ex met also, 6 months in to driver training. From what I have experienced so far, and from what I hear it is a great place to be.

Andy79

Nearly 15yrs in with TVP and waiting for Chiltern to start recruiting.

cridhe teine

Hi!

Yes we both made the move after more than a decade each! Much better this side of the fence. Keep trying and apply for the trainee driver posts, it may be a drop initially but it’s worth it in the long run. If you are willing to relocate you may have more luck. The experience you have should hold you in good stead for the situational judgement and the multi-tasking, there are more of us escapers than you think! All the best, I hope the escape tunnel works as well for you as it did for us.

andys495

I retired from the police over a year ago now and managed to get a job as a driver. The place is full of ex emergency staff, including ex old bill. I’m forever bumping into them. The railway is a bit like the police was like 30 years ago in some respects. Driver role is a gem of a job and you’ll have plenty of evidence for interviews etc.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Slightly off topic but it is depressing to read about so may police having left / wanting to leave the police. The party in power is supposed to be the party of law and order.

andys495

Yes we both made the move after more than a decade each! Much better this side of the fence. Keep trying and apply for the trainee driver posts, it may be a drop initially but it’s worth it in the long run. If you are willing to relocate you may have more luck. The experience you have should hold you in good stead for the situational judgement and the multi-tasking, there are more of us escapers than you think! All the best, I hope the escape tunnel works as well for you as it did for us.
Depending which TOC you end up in the pay isn’t really an issue after the first few months. After that you get an increment which will put you to nearly as much as a PC (If that’s what you are) earns.

andys495

Slightly off topic but it is depressing to read about so may police having left / wanting to leave the police. The party in power is supposed to be the party of law and order.
Years of 1% pay rises for public sector workers does well to dent the morale!

8 years with met as a pc now looking to move to Mtr Crossrail as a driver in this recruitment drive. Was supposed to have had my manager interview in jan but due to a mix up never received an email invite for it.

As has been mentioned previously, you will have plenty of evidence from job experiences for the interview. In fact, the interview on my second assessment was the only thing I didn’t revise for and just gave examples of the top of my head.

Mekiz79

Years of 1% pay rises for public sector workers does well to dent the morale!

Not just that, officers are run ragged due to their low numbers, and the fact we are picking up the slack for all the other public services that have been cut (nhs, mental health etc). The service we now offer to the public, quite frankly is an embarrassment.

Add a ton of bureaucracy to the mix and you have officers despairing.

I'm 10 years in and desperate to leave if you hadn't already guessed, lol

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not just that, officers are run ragged due to their low numbers, and the fact we are picking up the slack for all the other public services that have been cut (nhs, mental health etc). The service we now offer to the public, quite frankly is an embarrassment.

Add a ton of bureaucracy to the mix and you have officers despairing.

I'm 10 years in and desperate to leave if you hadn't already guessed, lol

From those of us on the outside looking in that's a very depressing picture - and people wonder why crime is increasing. The Tories should be hanging their heads in shame but no-one seems to care including this pathetic useless so called "opposition".

rosie

22 years in and a couple of ranks up and I’ve applied too. Through initial paper sift and first assessment stage, not getting carried away but echo some of the sentiments on here too....

cridhe teine

22 years in and a couple of ranks up and I’ve applied too. Through initial paper sift and first assessment stage, not getting carried away but echo some of the sentiments on here too....
It is worth doing, no PDRs to write, no staff issues to deal with. Highly recommended.

Trico382

I also made the jump and started in January (driving) after 10 years in the police. Best decision I ever made! Other ex police at my depot too

Trico382

Nice! Which force did you work ? And which TOC?

I work as a depot driver for EMT. The recruitment process and course/assessments are intense (but good!) but the job is great. I wish I had moved sooner to be honest. Totally up to you but my advice would be to go for it
Ps. Worked for merseyside police

Evolution

It sounds like the railway is becoming a retirement home for police and ex service people. Not a good thing really..

Status
Not open for further replies.