• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Police Constable to Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leep1

Ask yourself this question would you do the job for £20k per year?

I bet the answer would be NO for the majority.

So you're applying for a train driver role based on the salary (which is fine) but if you REALLY wanted to do the role then surely you would have been a train driver before joining your current profession.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Malala

So you're applying for a train driver role based on the salary (which is fine) but if you REALLY wanted to do the role then surely you would have been a train driver before joining your current profession.
It's harder getting in train driving than policing no?

Leep1

Wow, nobody is allowed to change career by the sounds of it.

Maybe the fact officers are wanting to leave is due there being little to no support from management, working 12+ hour shifts with days off being cancelled left, right and centre. People barely being able to see and spend time with their loved ones. Being assaulted and abused on a daily basis. But hey we knew what we was getting into.

Forgive us for wanting to change careers.
I'm sorry to sound harsh but YES you should have known that the above would occur, I would know that and I don't know anything about your industry.

Chaz15

In breaking news, person applies for job because it has good salary!

Why is it you think people only get one crack at finding a career that suits them for whatever reason, financial, job satisfaction or other?

Leep1

In breaking news, person applies for job because it has good salary!

Why is it you think people only get one crack at finding a career that suits them for whatever reason, financial, job satisfaction or other?
I don't, however what I do take exception to is people bring their past working "attitudes" into the railway environment and this is something I've experienced as I said.

It's not just me but quite a few drivers have said that the working environment is being lowered because of the huge influx of ex police, ex service people. Their general attitude seems to be a "know it all" and you often hear "in the force" we did this and that etc.

Seems to me the sour atmosphere of the police force is being brought over to the railway by certain people.

Chaz15

I don't, however what I do take exception to is people bring their past working "attitudes" into the railway environment and this is something I've experienced as I said.

It's not just me but quite a few drivers have said that the working environment is being lowered because of the huge influx of ex police, ex service people. Their general attitude seems to be a "know it all" and you often hear "in the force" we did this and that etc.

Seems to me the sour atmosphere of the police force is being brought over to the railway by certain people.

Yes, "by certain people".

Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

You may have been railway all your days but that doesn't mean other people's life experiences are irrelevant and can bring nothing to the job.

They are very much relevant which is why the application requires you to thoroughly specify your experience. And a reason why emergency services/forces are able to attain these jobs in numbers.

I've not even had my interview yet and already this "prune" wants to stick to the firefighting.

If everyone's like you it sounds like only anoraks should be allowed in, and I couldn't handle those nights out.

scotraildriver

Established Member
I (as a driving instructor) have always found that people from the emergency services are actually very positive recruits, fully appreciating the benefits of the job (ie nothing follows you home, finished pretty much when you should, minimal unpaid overtime and fully transferable skills etc etc) and have never experienced any negativity from such people. Personally I have found internal candidates much more challenging (know it all) than emergency service recruits. Just my experience though

ComUtoR

Established Member
Because I thought it was the 2nd most nonsensical post I've read in the short time I've been here.

Firstly, cheers for the reply.

Questioning dedication because people want to change careers. Guess what, people change careers every day, including leaving the railway.

Agreed on that point for sure. Loads of people switch. Tis par for the course.

Surely noone would ever get hired in any job after their 1st because, well, they are jumping ship they might do it to us. Nonsense.

Dunno. I do see your point but there are may threads where there is a question of suitability. Not specifically the railway and I do find the railway to be the more open career, but some roles do not seem to transition well between jobs. Some people seem very suited to a specific job role. Good natured, outspoken, extroverts, 'bubbly' etc seem to fit well with public facing/customer service style roles. They fit well because their personality 'fits'

Some people will have entitled attitudes, that's life, I think that's more about the person than the former profession though.

I'm not sure. As per the above, people fit in their professions well. Train driving, as well as many jobs now have a 'profile' of their candidates and they specifically look for personality traits that will fit their role. Hence all the psychological testing and assessments. Have you ever wondered why many of the staff on these forums tend to all think alike ? It is very deliberate. It's the same in this part of the forum where certain previous roles tend to fly through the assessment process better than others. Military, Police, Services etc.

It is also the same logic where there is a school of thought that 'spotters' make poor Drivers. On this forum they tend to be asked to play it down when going for the role. On one hand I agree with the sentiment and on another I simply see my colleagues as 'Driver' regardless of their background.

Saying "they knew what they was* getting into"? Guess what, what you get into, sometimes changes and you reevaluate.

Very true.

But I doubt practically they'll be as good as those "toy soldiers" you speak of. Which Imo, is a ridiculously disrespectful way to describe anyone who served in our forces.

Agreed.

So yea, lol, because that was dross.

I think the point was lost in the post but there is a deep vein of truth. As someone involved in the process and someone who heard this very comment just this last Sunday I feel that Ex Services may find themselves at the mercy of their stereotype. Sometimes unjustly; but as more join the ranks and reinforce those stereotypes it may switch from being a preferable background to a detrimental one. A simple search will throw up how people believe that they make good candidates. Sadly, stereotypes work in both directions.

I have found the railway to be a good employee and ANYONE who can pass the tests can go on to a long and healthy career and I would support anyone wishing to apply. The assessment process is designed to weed out certain candidates; based on personality and aptitude and unfortunately there are some who just will not make a good or successful Driver. The same goes for ANY job.

Personally, because of what I do, I am just seeing this transition to a new breed of Driver failing miserably. In all my years I have never seen so many new Drivers lose their jobs over something so simple and often because of their attitude towards the job.

Last edited:

Leep1

Yes, "by certain people".

Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

You may have been railway all your days but that doesn't mean other people's life experiences are irrelevant and can bring nothing to the job.

They are very much relevant which is why the application requires you to thoroughly specify your experience. And a reason why emergency services/forces are able to attain these jobs in numbers.

I've not even had my interview yet and already this "prune" wants to stick to the firefighting.

If everyone's like you it sounds like only anoraks should be allowed in, and I couldn't handle those nights out.

I worked as an airline pilot before so I haven't been on the railway "all my days" but I have been driving many years.

Chaz15

I worked as an airline pilot before so I haven't been on the railway "all my days" but I have been driving many years.

Nope! Not allowed, you only get one job.

Why weren't you dedicated to the airline though, lucky your rail interviewer didn't think you would jump ship!

Leep1

Nope! Not allowed, you only get one job.

Why weren't you dedicated to the airline though, lucky your rail interviewer didn't think you would jump ship!
I had to stop flying for reasons out of my control otherwise I would still be doing it!

ryantrain

I was in Beds police for just over 12 years and am now just coming up to finishing my first year as a driver, I absolutely love it and do not have a single regret.

I can see points on both sides of what people have said above, one thing you have to realize when leaving the police (a role which you are probably very experienced in and know very well) is you are starting a new career from day one and know next to nothing about.
Since I have started I have pretty much kept my mouth shut, my head down, got on with the job and tried to learn everything I can and take every bit of advice I am given.
I have noticed with others who have joined my company from the police they are immediately rubbing drivers up the wrong way with exactly what has been mentioned above "this isn't how we did it in the police" "I know better etc etc".

On the flip side of things I would say the drivers who have come from other backgrounds, police, military, prison etc really do appreciate their job and being in the role, as opposed to drivers who have been on the railway their whole career. Some of the moaning you hear in the mess room from what you may call the "old school" drivers is pretty unbelievable to be honest considering where I'm from (moaning about being given a job coming off spare but still finishing the day early).

If you are looking to join the job from the police I can safely say you will not regret it but do not do it just for the money, yes the money is good but for me it was about how much better my life is outside of work as well.
No directed to work, nicer shifts, less night shifts and treated with a lot more respect from the company/managers.
One other thing I would add as well is having to learn a new skill from scratch has really made my work a lot more enjoyable but make no mistake there is a lot of studying involved and if you are not actually that interested you will soon be found out.

Leep1

I was in Beds police for just over 12 years and am now just coming up to finishing my first year as a driver, I absolutely love it and do not have a single regret.

I can see points on both sides of what people have said above, one thing you have to realize when leaving the police (a role which you are probably very experienced in and know very well) is you are starting a new career from day one and know next to nothing about.
Since I have started I have pretty much kept my mouth shut, my head down, got on with the job and tried to learn everything I can and take every bit of advice I am given.
I have noticed with others who have joined my company from the police they are immediately rubbing drivers up the wrong way with exactly what has been mentioned above "this isn't how we did it in the police" "I know better etc etc".

On the flip side of things I would say the drivers who have come from other backgrounds, police, military, prison etc really do appreciate their job and being in the role, as opposed to drivers who have been on the railway their whole career. Some of the moaning you hear in the mess room from what you may call the "old school" drivers is pretty unbelievable to be honest considering where I'm from (moaning about being given a job coming off spare but still finishing the day early).

If you are looking to join the job from the police I can safely say you will not regret it but do not do it just for the money, yes the money is good but for me it was about how much better my life is outside of work as well.
No directed to work, nicer shifts, less night shifts and treated with a lot more respect from the company/managers.
One other thing I would add as well is having to learn a new skill from scratch has really made my work a lot more enjoyable but make no mistake there is a lot of studying involved and if you are not actually that interested you will soon be found out.
An interesting insight and a very well balanced post.

ungreat

I've been on the footplate 31 years. Done nothing else. Was a 2nd man under BR.
We have a fair few ex cops on GN now. To me all are welcome if they can do the job.

WA_Driver

It’s funny how the “experienced” drivers like Leep1 & ComUtoR that are questioning “attitudes” of new recruits that are ex services. I personally think you find that your “attitudes” that are outdated and belong back in the BR days or in the pre PACE era... what is it you say Leep1 and I quote “I’ve seen what the influx of people like you does to work atmosphere and it isn’t good” I think you need to look in the mirror and realise your comments are found to be doing the exact same thing.

What next? You going to start banishing individuals to the back of the Messroom or stop people from sitting at certain tables or get the “junior hand” to do your work??

It’s interesting because Drivers that are more senior to you consider drivers like you to be “boil in bag” drivers and it quite it’s ironic that your moaning about attitudes of new recruits....

Instead of moaning or belittling individuals because of past backgrounds why don’t you use your “experience” and “knowledge” and help the new recruits....

I apologise to those that wish to join the Railway and have to see these attitudes like this displayed by “senior” drivers that should know better but these are opinions of a very small minority (yes that is a small tiny con to being a new driver but I unfortunately I have to work with these people too) but you’ll find that you be welcomed into your Depot with open arms and will be more drivers willing to help you than “slagging” you off

WA_Driver

It’s funny how the “experienced” drivers like Leep1 & ComUtoR that are questioning “attitudes” of new recruits that are ex services. I personally think you find that your “attitudes” that are outdated and belong back in the BR days or in the pre PACE era... what is it you say Leep1 and I quote “I’ve seen what the influx of people like you does to work atmosphere and it isn’t good” I think you need to look in the mirror and realise your comments are found to be doing the exact same thing.

What next? You going to start banishing individuals to the back of the Messroom or stop people from sitting at certain tables or get the “junior hand” to do your work??

It’s interesting because Drivers that are more senior to you consider drivers like you to be “boil in bag” drivers and it quite it’s ironic that your moaning about attitudes of new recruits....

Instead of moaning or belittling individuals because of past backgrounds why don’t you use your “experience” and “knowledge” and help the new recruits....

I apologise to those that wish to join the Railway and have to see these attitudes like this displayed by “senior” drivers that should know better but these are opinions of a very small minority (yes that is a small tiny con to being a new driver but I unfortunately I have to work with these people too) but you’ll find that you be welcomed into your Depot with open arms and will be more drivers willing to help you than “slagging” you off

And yes I was a Police Officer before I joined the Railway. But it’s okay I’ve been on the Railway for 7 years & I have been driving for 5 years so people like me aren’t destroying the atmosphere of the workplace....

WA_Driver

I for one welcome ex emergency services into the driving role. Would be nice to get stimulating conversation from someone that I have something in common with but also to help settle into the job and pass my experience of being a new driver.

It’s better than listening to “senior” drivers talking about the “good ol’ days” and moaning about how much the job as changed and when they are going “retire”....oh and listening to the moaning about the “attitudes” of new drivers especially those that are ex services....

Chaz15

Hey I never claimed to be more educated! I think the whole idea of bypassing people who've lived a life outside educational establishments as suggested to be nonsense.

Anyway, what's an apostrophe and a space between friends.

(I'm degree educated BTW, that means very little in this day and age, so much so I only mentioned my professional qualifications, and passed the sift and first assessments)

Last edited:

Leep1

And this my friend proves my point exactly..

Thank you for keeping the stereotype alive. :)

Leep1

I for one welcome ex emergency services into the driving role. Would be nice to get stimulating conversation from someone that I have something in common with but also to help settle into the job and pass my experience of being a new driver.

It’s better than listening to “senior” drivers talking about the “good ol’ days” and moaning about how much the job as changed and when they are going “retire”....oh and listening to the moaning about the “attitudes” of new drivers especially those that are ex services....

Of course you would because you’re ex police. :)

WA_Driver

Explain how that proves your point....

You are talking about new recruits. I am not a new recruit...

What it shows that you still live in the “stone-age”.....and what your saying is that new recruits should just keep quiet and let “drivers” like you dictate how we should behave & act? Pathetic really....

WA_Driver

I would have to question your “dedication” to the job. As you have no intention to help those that fill your shoes when you finally & hopefully retire....

michael74

Personally I would question how "dedicated" they were if they are all jumping ship- when you joined the force you knew what you was getting into. The railway should stop giving ex police and forces personnel roles and question why they are jumping ship, whats to say that in 10 years they don't do the same and leave the railways if things change.

I'm a driver and I find the ex police and other ex public services people, in general, try bringing their entitled attitudes and bureaucracy over from the said force they left, some forget that they are no longer bobbies or toy soldiers. I would prefer if people came to the railways with a more "educated" background.

Just my 2 cents.

Having watched this forum for quite sometime now, partly as someone with a lifelong interest in railways and now considering a career move to the railways, I am not sure I have ever come across either on line or in the real world such an arrogant statement. You talk about entitled attitudes, well one could argue you too are displaying that very attitude in your post.

Now I am 10 years military and then 10 years an NHS Nurse (last 4 a manager), does that mean I am not welcome to play with your trainset, am I not displaying enough dedication to my roles? But I do have a degree, so I suppose that is one saving grace.

I am all for the concept of free speech and I invite you to continue posting as you (and the moderators) see fit, but you can keep your 2 cents, they ain't worth it.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
It’s funny how the “experienced” drivers like Leep1 & ComUtoR that are questioning “attitudes” of new recruits that are ex services. I personally think you find that your “attitudes” that are outdated and belong back in the BR days or in the pre PACE era...

On one hand I agree with the sentiment and on another I simply see my colleagues as 'Driver' regardless of their background.

I have found the railway to be a good employee and ANYONE who can pass the tests can go on to a long and healthy career and I would support anyone wishing to apply.

Yep that shows an old fashioned attitude. You may want to reread my posts.

Feel free to check my posing history in this section of the forum. I'd also question where either of us were belittling anyone.

but you’ll find that you be welcomed into your Depot with open arms and will be more drivers willing to help you than “slagging” you off

Nobody has 'slagged' anyone off.

Status
Not open for further replies.