• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Police entrapment

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
And there are several other exceptions as well, you can exceed the speed limit by up to 10mph to pass a slow vehicle on a national speed limit road as long as you return to speed limit immediately after passing. (various links on google confirm this)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
And there are several other exceptions as well, you can exceed the speed limit by up to 10mph to pass a slow vehicle on a national speed limit road as long as you return to speed limit immediately after passing. (various links on google confirm this)

I'm pretty sure you can't. Indeed, the first link I looked at on Google confirms you can't.

jon0844

Veteran Member
100% agreed. There are many vehicles (not LGVs or PCVs) which have a limiter fitted. I'm thinking of small car sized delivery vehicles. These aren't dangerous to drive and I personally think anyone who feels unsafe driving or being driven in a speed limited vehicle needs driving lessons and/or reeducating. Apart from drivers of emergency vehicles (or those on a private race track) only train drivers are legally allowed to exceed 70 mph on the UK main land.

I don't feel I need reeducating, as there have been two examples where a burst of power could save you from a nasty accident.

Driving since 1991, accident free and not intending to change that. Driving defensively, following Roadcraft and having done track days and off road driving (private land, under instruction), even up a mountain in Iceland, says that I'll willingly speed if I think it might save my life. And if I get caught by the police and they disagree, I'll take the punishment like a man.

I'd like that bit of freedom and suspect the car makers agree, which is why they give that option.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I've recently purchased a Roadhawk HD forward facing camera as I am fed up of idiot drivers. It works very well and when I have time I will be setting up a YouTube account detailing the idiots I see on a daily basis

richw

Veteran Member
I've recently purchased a Roadhawk HD forward facing camera as I am fed up of idiot drivers. It works very well and when I have time I will be setting up a YouTube account detailing the idiots I see on a daily basis

I could do with one of these. It is unbelievable some of the driving about. Today alone I witnessed two different cars turn left from being in the right hand lane on approach to roundabouts

deltic1989

Established Member
I could do with one of these. It is unbelievable some of the driving about. Today alone I witnessed two different cars turn left from being in the right hand lane on approach to roundabouts

Agreed I may have to fit one of these to my work vehicle it's amazing how many people think that they can take on 42 Tonnes of truck and come of best.

spargazer

Earlier this year I got breathalyzed and was negative and was low, I was left holding a plastic mouthpiece so I asked PC Plod to dipose it for me, he advised me to just throw it away and then he got back in his RangeRover and vanished into the dark. Greater Manchester Police should not entice me into dropping litter and Greater Manchester Police should have a waste recycling policy. They obviously have none, I have asked, so Greater Manchester Police are themselves breaking the law!

GB

Established Member
How has GMP broken the law? They suggested you throw the article away...they didn't say chuck it on the floor or throw it in the bushes.

Harlesden

I'm baffled by the OP. The vehicle was driving along at the speed limit as he is perfectly entitled to do and someone comes up behind harassing the driver by flashing his lights. Why was he in such a hurry? Has he no respect for the law? As for the vehicle that passed the unmarked police vehicle, it was a fair cop. The driver was breaking the law by exceeding the speed limit.
Perhaps the OP could explain why he believes a police vehicle of any description should not be allowed to drive at 70mph and then perform his duty by pulling over a vehicle passing him.

Established Member
I'm baffled by the OP. The vehicle was driving along at the speed limit as he is perfectly entitled to do and someone comes up behind harassing the driver by flashing his lights.

Because it was using lane three when adjacent lanes are empty.

While it's now an offence punishable with a fixed penalty notice, the lack of Traffic Police means it's never going to be that well enforced.

As for the vehicle that passed the unmarked police vehicle, it was a fair cop. The driver was breaking the law by exceeding the speed limit.

It depends.
If he was doing 75, as indicted by the speedo in the car, then no, he almost certainly wasn't breaking the limit (unless he's had his speedo calibrated, which I doubt), as car speedos overread.
Also, there is no offence for undertaking.

Perhaps the OP could explain why he believes a police vehicle of any description should not be allowed to drive at 70mph and then perform his duty by pulling over a vehicle passing him.

I'd be very surprised to see a Traffic Officer pull over someone doing 80 or under unless they were driving dangerously or recklessly.

Nick W

Established Member
If you went your sat nav/speedo's 70mph in L1/L2 and an idiot (policeman or otherwise) was driving their 70mph in L3 and by virtual of a slight discrepancy in speed, over a period of time, you happened to pass the car in L3, I don't think you have committed an offence.

Last edited:

spargazer

How has GMP broken the law? They suggested you throw the article away...they didn't say chuck it on the floor or throw it in the bushes.

He actually said that I should just throw it away. Under EU directives?? I know they exist in a large folder somewhere
1, the item has to have a recycle stamp with a number 1 to 5 on it and that The GMP must have, in law, a policy statement on their recycling and waste disposal policy, none were present, or being implemented. Yes I could get them nicked
and
2, the implication of what he said was "chuck it on the floor", was entrapment

Established Member
He actually said that I should just throw it away. Under EU directives?? I know they exist in a large folder somewhere
1, the item has to have a recycle stamp with a number 1 to 5 on it and that The GMP must have, in law, a policy statement on their recycling and waste disposal policy, none were present, or being implemented. Yes I could get them nicked
and

facepalm.gif

Just, wow.

GB

Established Member
and

But the point is they didn't tell you to chuck it on the floor. They told you to throw it away. Anyone with half an ounce of common sense would take that to mean you put in a suitable receptacle either now or at a later date.

How anyone can confuse the term "throw is away" with littering is beyond me.

...and unless you can prove otherwise, I would maintain that not recycling the odd (or at all) article is not a criminal offence therefore good luck with getting them arrested.

Last edited:

spargazer

But the point is they didn't tell you to chuck it on the floor. They told you to throw it away. Anyone with half an ounce of common sense would take that to mean you put in a suitable receptacle either now or at a later date.

How anyone can confuse the term "throw is away" with littering is beyond me.

...and unless you can prove otherwise, I would maintain that not recycling the odd (or at all) article is not a criminal offence therefore good luck with getting them arrested.

no no no, Please do not wind me up. They use dozens of these every day and it all adds up, to lots of the article!. It is a criminal offence as GMP has a multi million pound budget/expenditure and by law falls into that category where it must sign up to and adhere to these directives and must must include such items because they are recyclable. He should have in his possession a seal-able plastic bag and should have returned it to the Police Station and not lumber me with his hygiene problems, it was made in the USA so it is an illegal import.:oops:

Last edited:

Johnuk123

Established Member
Earlier this year I got breathalyzed and was negative and was low, I was left holding a plastic mouthpiece so I asked PC Plod to dipose it for me, he advised me to just throw it away and then he got back in his RangeRover and vanished into the dark. Greater Manchester Police should not entice me into dropping litter and Greater Manchester Police should have a waste recycling policy. They obviously have none, I have asked, so Greater Manchester Police are themselves breaking the law!

What a very boring story, why bother posting something of no interest whatsoever.

michael769

Established Member
I wonder if stargazer would be so good to post the laws and EU Directives he asserts were contravened? As I for one have never heard of such things.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
WOW this Spargazer has some serious issues and almost no understanding of legislation, case law or how the legal systems in the United Kingdom work!

deltic1989

Established Member
When I got breathalyzed (came up zero by the way), the officer invited me to take the plastic tube as a souvenir of my first (and last) breath test. I took him at his word and it now adorns my cars centre console.

Status
Not open for further replies.