• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Police route to train driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leroy2002

Hello,

I'm currently working as a police officer in Wales. I'm looking for more information on the following points:-

- Which train operators beside Arriva and Network Rail recruit trainee train drivers externally in Wales?

- Are there any ex-police here who have become train drivers, and if so what route did they take?

- How often do trainee train driver roles come up?

I've been looking on the site for a while for these roles to appear so have regularly been looking for any vacancies, and am signed up for job alerts.

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

headshot119

Established Member
Hello,

I'm currently working as a police officer in Wales. I'm looking for more information on the following points:-

- Which train operators beside Arriva and Network Rail recruit trainee train drivers externally in Wales?

- Are there any ex-police here who have become train drivers, and if so what route did they take?

I've been looking on the site for a while for these roles to appear so have regularly been looking for any vacancies, and am signed up for job alerts.

Many thanks

The only TOC with a drivers depot in Wales other than ATW is GWR at Swansea. I've not seen them externally recruit for trainee drivers, though someone else may be able to shed more light on that.

Not sure if any of the FOCs recruit externally.

Leroy2002

The only TOC with a drivers depot in Wales other than ATW is GWR at Swansea. I've not seen them externally recruit for trainee drivers, though someone else may be able to shed more light on that.

Not sure if any of the FOCs recruit externally.

Ok thanks very much.

russmcp

Leroy, use your investigative powers and if not already done so, search the forums for coppers making the jump.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
There's a long waiting list for internal candidates for GWR at Swansea I'm led to believe.

theironroad

Established Member
Many focs are making people redundant in the post coal market shambles, so not likely to be recruiting soon especially outside the south east.

fabs

Frequency of posts available and the sudden collapse of FOC posts aside, there are plenty of Ex Police that have successfully made the jump to train driver.
People from all walks of life get selected, so long as you can demonstrate you have the required skill set you have a chance.
It is highly competitive to get in though, whatever your background.

Scottpod1981

Leroy,

I am currently a serving officer in the south east, well until Sunday that is!
Start with LOROL on Monday morning as a trainee driver.
I have been an officer for 15 years, but I do not like the direction it is going in!
Good luck and I'm sure something will come up for you.

ComUtoR

Established Member

There is only one real route.

Vacancy > Application > OPC testing > MMI > DMI > Medical

check the big thread at the top of the page for tips and advice

oxoneil

Hello,

Many thanks

I'm in the process with GWR (applied Nov 13 and had managers interview Jun 14) and still waiting for them to start people at Oxford. If you're prepared to relocate you'll increase your chances but if you've family etc that's a big life upheaval to make when there's no guarantee of being employed.

As previously stated there's only 1 way if you want to go straight from outside to driver but it's been mentioned before that you may be able to get into a company doing something else and go the internal route but even then I'd imagine it's fiercely competitive. You'd also be taking a real pay hit if you've been police for 10 years or more.

It's not easy to get a job mate that's for sure.

IKB

Can't add much to what has already been written above.

I have just done the police > trainee driver route. Your employment background will certainly help with aspects of the process (e.g. the competency based answers, tolerance for shift work etc etc)

As an external you have to apply for available vacancies and go through the selection criteria.

You could be waiting a very long time for ATW to open the door to externals.

The majority of trainee jobs seem to come up with London commuter operators, simply due to the number of services and drivers they need.

However, relocating to a major city like London would be very expensive and there's no guarantee of a job at the end of it. I'd be very surprised if you got offered a position on the proviso that you relocated to London as they don't like it when people finish their probationary period then transfer back as a qualified driver to their 'home' towns.

Rock and a hard place, really.

W230

Established Member
Did 9 years in the police oop north and was successful at interview with both Northern and a TOC down south. Took the job down south as fancied a change but much of a muchness really.

There is no shortage of police trying to get into the role at the moment! :lol:

I am ex police and very glad I made the move. Lots of police officers/staff have just started as trainee drivers with Scotrail. There will be at least 6 ex cops at my depot by the end of the year alone.

Alot of BTP officers have got drivers jobs up here aswell. They do not want to become part of Police Scotland and I really don't blame them.

BTU

Hello,

Many thanks
There's vacancies more regularly in the London area if you are wiling to relocate, there is plenty of ex plod at my depot , try traindriver.org generally a good site that lists all the TOCS and current vacancies although it's not kept up to date as much as it used to be but it does list all the TOCS and gives plenty of good advice.Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.