• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Polish workers shown UK TV shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
BBCNews said:
Bus firm FirstGroup has confirmed that its new Polish drivers are being shown UK television programmes to help them understand different regional accents.

The UK firm, which now has 1,000 Polish drivers working across Britain, said programmes being shown included Only Fools and Horses and Coronation Street.

FirstGroup is airing the shows at its new training centre in Poland, where Polish staff are first recruited.

The company said it needed to import staff from Poland to fill vacancies.

A FirstGroup spokesman said new Polish staff were shown different TV programmes depending upon where they were going to be posted in the UK.

For example, a new recruit going to Glasgow may be shown a DVD of Scottish comedian Billy Connolly.

While someone heading to the English capital might be shown an episode of much-loved sitcom Only Fools and Horses, which is set in the London borough of Peckham.

And Coronation Street would be aired to those going to Manchester.

"It is solely about helping the new recruits get to grips with different regional UK accents, it is not a cultural exercise," said the FirstGroup spokesman.

"We are not showing Only Fools and Horses so the new recruits would think everyone in London drives a three-wheeled van and speaks very bad French."

FirstGroup, which as 20,000 drivers across the UK, first started hiring Polish workers 18 months ago.

One of the UK's largest bus companies, it also has a number of train operations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
With that selection of telly programs, they might not be staying too long!

David

Established Member
They're going to get some weird ideas - I'm just thinking of all the regional based programmes:

NE: Whatever happened to the likely lads? Auf Wiedersehen Pet
Liverpool: Bread, The Llver Birds
Birmingham: Jasper Carrot and the Sketch from Harry Enfield 'We're considerably richer than you'.
Glasgow: Rab C Nesbit, Naked Video
NW: The Royal Family
Norwich/East Anglia: Alan Partridge

Here's a good road safety video for them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMsVgWiJ5UE

I just hope they are never show this video though :shock:

LucaZone

FirstGroup is airing the shows at its new training centre in Poland, where Polish staff are first recruited.

The company said it needed to import staff from Poland to fill vacancies.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the UK has an umemployment figure of X because...........

Ascot

Established Member
there's one running about in Birmingham mixed in with our other ethnic friends.

Jasper Carrot is Birmingham but what are they going to do about Black Country as they are different:hmph:

Nick W

Established Member
I just hope they are never show this video though :shock:

Just goes to show that slower speed isn't always better.

I'd rather cross a road where cars are going fast but with large gaps than a constant flowing stream of cars going about walking speed which I have to dodge between when they have to stop to give way.

I also try to go round roundabous as fast as possible. Less time in the danger area and more likely to be seen by another driver rather than pop out of nowhere just because the car designers won't get rid of the pillar blindspot.

Tom B

Established Member
Apparently they have great fun down the local independent when the Poles go out on routes around Barnsley.... cross a broad Barnsley accent with a Polish one and what do you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.