• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Political Compass 2015 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Only three of the folk who care to share are righter than me :shock:

I sat about where you are Fahad.

I'm not really surprised I came where I did, and when you compare it to the political parties it's no surprise I find it hard to pick between them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Like many on here, I'm down in the lower left of the graph. I'm rather unsurpassed, and quite happy, to be down there!
uk2015

I'm not far away from my chosen political party, that is the SNP. The fact that I've been heavily persuaded by (but never voted for) the Scottish Greens doesn't really surprise me when you look at the graph.

I suspect that a true reflection of my political opinions would have me slightly further up the graph, as I do have opinions about alcohol and, in particular, tobacco products that are very much closer to authoritarian in nature (these weren't asked about in the survey). But, having said that, I think I'd still be generally a left-wing libertarian all in all.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I guess it's safe to assume that for a US Government to represented on that chart you'd need to make it an awful lot bigger in the top-right seeing as European governments generally seem to be to bottom-left corner compared to them :lol:

me123

Established Member
Look at the choice they had back in 2012. The self-proclaimed World's Greatest Democracy and the Land of the Free at its finest...
us2012.png

(Although, in fairness, the realistic choice we have for Westminster under FPTP is probably equally restrictive).

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Look at the choice they had back in 2012. The self-proclaimed World's Greatest Democracy and the Land of the Free at its finest...

I would've thought Santorum would have been further over to be honest. But in any case I was meaning it would have been interesting to put the US on the same scale as the EU governments rather than their own chart ;)

Not quite sure how I ended up here. Must have mellowed in my old age

A literal centrist politically :lol:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I was digging through my Pictures just now and found this from a test I did in November last year. Probably a more accurate reflection of where I personally would place myself.

Attachments

• PC1.png
    PC1.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 24

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is why I am largely disillusioned with politics nowadays. As you can see I am in the bottom left but they're all in the top right

Yes, that surprised me. I think there is room for a new party, perhaps. I'm also surprised to see no representation in the traditional US "libertarian right" i.e. very small Government and a completely free market.

Neil

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Same here, I find no party nor politician really represents me at all. If only we had a British Ron Paul :)

Indeed. I more closely align to Penn Jillette's angle on libertarianism but I'd happily take Ron Paul too. I am genuinely at a loss trying to think of one libertarian politician in UK politics. Some get near on occasion but I can't think of an out and out one.

laseandre

Established Member
Welp, here we go...

I am a member of the Scottish Greens, but it seems I'm a bit more... extreme... than them. Though, to be honest, the Scottish Greens are probably a bit further left and down than the position on the chart, which is probably for the England/Wales Greens.

Oswyntail

Established Member
This is why I am largely disillusioned with politics nowadays. As you can see I am in the bottom left but they're all in the top right
I find it hard to believe where the authors have placed the three main parties. All three are essentially centrist Social Democratic - though all three have their loony wings that tend to dominate public perception. What distinguishes them for me is the competence each does or does not demonstrate.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I'm not certain it's that far out. All believe in laissez faire economics, and all are authoritarian- all support privatisation and all support the spies and detention without trial for "terrorists".

The fact is the new "social democratic" norm is right-authoritarian.

JamesRowden

Established Member
Welp, here we go...

I am a member of the Scottish Greens, but it seems I'm a bit more... extreme... than them. Though, to be honest, the Scottish Greens are probably a bit further left and down than the position on the chart, which is probably for the England/Wales Greens.

The England/Wales Greens should be around the top of the authoritative scale when it comes to environmental issues.

chart

I was tempted to vote for the green party this year, but then I read their manifesto and suddenly the prospect of a UKIP government didn't seem quite so bad! :shock: I might have to vote monster raving loony again ...

Established Member
And another one.

I tend to just vote for whichever candidate seems the least worst at the time.
The last election here, the stuff that came through the door mostly contained sh*t slinging about what everyone else hadn't done, with either very little or nothing about what they had done. So none of them got my vote. I think I ended up voting for an independent candidate instead.

NSEFAN

Established Member
A lot of people on here seem to be on the bottom left hand side of the plane, myself included. Perhaps taking such a test should be compulsory before voting, in order to get people to consider who actually represents their beliefs! :lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
We have an awful lot of terrible pinko liberals on this site! My graph was almost exactly the same as Bylthpower if ever so slightly higher up

How do you upload the graph?

SS4

Established Member
We have an awful lot of terrible pinko liberals on this site! My graph was almost exactly the same as Bylthpower if ever so slightly higher up

How do you upload the graph?

Copy the image location/URL and paste between IMG tags. It seems odd because it's not a picture extension but it does work. See mine below

[img]https://www.politicalcompass.org/chart?ec=-7.63&soc=-7.28[/img]

chart

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I came out in the bottom left too.

However, I'm not so sure about this year's test. A lot of the questions were about things that I don't have an opinion either way on. Some of their competitors are better, also asking for each question how important the issue is to you too.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I got the political propaganda from an independent guy today.
He has a list of things he'll try to achieve including some contradicting ideas.
But he's the only one so far who said he'll promote infrastructure improvements locally. I'm not certain now.
Is voting for someone who certainly won't win a wasted vote?
Should I vote Labour/Green instead?

Last edited by a moderator:

laseandre

Established Member
The England/Wales Greens should be around the top of the authoritative scale when it comes to environmental issues.

That's the one thing I accept authoritarianism in - the whole reason behind the Green party as a concept is to be strict on things that harm the environment.

Oswyntail

Established Member
....Is voting for someone who certainly won't will a wasted vote?....
No - but voting for someone who does not represent your views is. When we vote for Bananas, and they win, there is no direct benefit for us , as no one knows we voted for them. On the other hand, if we voted Nuts and Banana win, in theory the representative should also represent the views of a proportion who voted Nuts. In practice, this only really changes behaviour in marginals, where the incumbent must listen to everyone if she wishes to keep her seat. But it should hold generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.