• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Poll] Conservative leadership challenge, predictions.

What outcome do you predict?

• Comfortable win

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Slim win but May remains PM

Votes: 43 61.4%
  • Slim win but May steps down

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Bad loss

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Boris Johnson, thwarted in his crazed plan to become P.M., decides to seek re-selection as London Mayor, reckoning he might get enough support to oust Sadiq Khan next time. That might seem like an unlikely scenario, but given his unquenchable ego I reckon it's feasible. Part of his campaign could be to halt HS2 (if that hasn't already happened by then) and spend some of the money on Crossrail 2 instead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Well it wasn't exactly hard for her to win Maidenhead! (Also where I'm registered to vote, so technically she's my local MP, although in practice Liz Kendall is for half the year!)

Mutter mutter shouldn't have been exactly hard for her to get a handsome win in the 2017 general election nationally either. All she really had to do was run a half-competent campaign and not screw almost everything up mutter mutter mumble. ;)

HH

Established Member
As one historical comparison: 200-117 (63% for her) is a better result than the 204-152 (57% for her) that Mrs. Thatcher got in the no confidence vote that (combined with advice from colleagues) made her decide she didn't have enough support to carry on as PM. But not massively better.
It's a bigger difference than it might look at first sight, May is 63:37, while Thatcher was 57:43, so there is roughly twice the gap between 'ayes and noes'.

Of course such a large number of Tories voting against her does indicate that she has zero chance of getting any deal passed by parliament.

HH

Established Member
I was also imagining RMT's press release on this...

"Fat Cat Tories fail to oust lame duck PM in this basket case of a government".

bramling

Veteran Member
Boris Johnson, thwarted in his crazed plan to become P.M., decides to seek re-selection as London Mayor, reckoning he might get enough support to oust Sadiq Khan next time. That might seem like an unlikely scenario, but given his unquenchable ego I reckon it's feasible. Part of his campaign could be to halt HS2 (if that hasn't already happened by then) and spend some of the money on Crossrail 2 instead.

That isn't unfeasible at all. Whatever one thinks of Boris, Sadiq Khan has been an utterly pointless and awful mayor.

And I *heavily* object to all the "The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has..." posters now found all over TFL.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I was also imagining RMT's press release on this...

"Fat Cat Tories fail to oust lame duck PM in this basket case of a government".

hang on a minute - are you sure there isnt something you want to tell us Mr Cash? ;)

( in fairness that headline isnt a bad description of the current farce impersonating a government/parliament!)

deltic

Established Member
That isn't unfeasible at all. Whatever one thinks of Boris, Sadiq Khan has been an utterly pointless and awful mayor.

And I *heavily* object to all the "The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has..." posters now found all over TFL.
Cant say I have seen any difference in Mayor posters between Boris and Sadiq. Both mayors seem to have been very ineffective - Ken seems to have been the only Mayor to date to actually achieve anything but getting way off topic

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Cant say I have seen any difference in Mayor posters between Boris and Sadiq. Both mayors seem to have been very ineffective - Ken seems to have been the only Mayor to date to actually achieve anything but getting way off topic
I never remember seeing posters paid for by TfL, and installed on the "in-house" poster frames at bus stops and LU/Overground stations that said "The Mayor, Boris Johnson, has..." or "it's part of the Mayor, Boris Johnson, and TfL's commitment to..."

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'm sure he does. But unlike Brexit the No Confidence vote doesn't make his funds millions of pounds.

such cynicism. Are you suggesting that Mr Rhys-Mogg may have an ulterior motive in supporting brexit beyond his love for country and the institutions supporting our great nation coupled with a desire to return sovereignty and take back control?

I wont have it i tell you.

bramling

Veteran Member
I never remember seeing posters paid for by TfL, and installed on the "in-house" poster frames at bus stops and LU/Overground stations that said "The Mayor, Boris Johnson, has..." or "it's part of the Mayor, Boris Johnson, and TfL's commitment to..."

Indeed, I've just got off a Victoria Line train with no fewer than *six* posters in the car, all containing the line "The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan". That's bang out of order IMO, especially on a public funded transport system. Certainly not something which happened under Boris, nor Ken for that matter.

theblackwatch

Established Member
It's a bigger difference than it might look at first sight, May is 63:37, while Thatcher was 57:43, so there is roughly twice the gap between 'ayes and noes'.

Of course such a large number of Tories voting against her does indicate that she has zero chance of getting any deal passed by parliament.

And a much bigger difference to 2016 when Corbyn lost a vote of no confidence by Labour MPs (40/172) meaning he got less than 20% of the votes but stayed in office - no wonder he's kept rather quiet on saying "she should go"!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
And a much bigger difference to 2016 when Corbyn lost a vote of no confidence by Labour MPs (40/172) meaning he got less than 20% of the votes but stayed in office - no wonder he's kept rather quiet on saying "she should go"!
And part of the reason why Corbyn is reluctant (to say the least) to join the call for a Parliamentary Vote of No Confidence in the government. Admittedly, when Cameron forced through the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act he made it difficult to use this tactic to bring down a government, whereas a mere 50.000001 % of the vote in a referendum would be enough to ensure the grotesque chaos we are now enduring. Grrrh!!

DarloRich

Veteran Member

I noticed team Corbs sent out that simpleton Burgon to act as a spokesman on this issue. A sad reflection of the state of politics on both sides.

bnm

Established Member

Very different party constitutions. Labour's constitution doesn't give the power to its parliamentarians to remove their leader. Such no confidence votes are non-binding. Labour instead puts leadership challenges to its wider public membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.