• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Poll] - London-Hull: Hull Trains or LNER?

Would you rather travel from London-Hull with Hull Trains or LNER?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

xotGD

Established Member
You mean the private operator that identified a gap in the market that has not been filled by the specification of the DfT nor by the own initiative of the franchised operator and indeed the gap which only existed because of cuts instituted by a publicly owned service provider axing all but one train per day despite their being quite clearly plenty of demand for the service (see the unsubsidised private operator continually expanding, making money and procuring now three sets of brand new rolling stock for their service)?
You think they'd have bothered serving Hull if they had been allowed to run services to York or Leeds?

These services are all the same - use an underserved destination as a fig-leaf to poach passengers on the more lucrative stretch of the journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westv

Established Member
You think they'd have bothered serving Hull if they had been allowed to run services to York or Leeds?

These services are all the same - use an underserved destination as a fig-leaf to poach passengers on the more lucrative stretch of the journey.

Why would Hull Trains want to run services to York or Leeds?
Undeserved? Rather condescending don't you think?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Why would Hull Trains want to run services to York or Leeds?
Undeserved? Rather condescending don't you think?

Because they're bigger markets, even if they're better served.

Of course they might have come up with a different name.

westv

Established Member
Because they're bigger markets, even if they're better served.

Of course they might have come up with a different name.

Why provide a service where there is already plenty already though?

xotGD

Established Member
To poach passengers, like I said.

For the same reason Starbucks open a coffee shop next door another coffee shop.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

So if we assume that Open Access was not permitted because they "poach" passengers Hull would have to suffer a much worse service than it does now? I'm not sure that's a benefit!

Plus I do find it interesting that in the upcoming engineering works on the ECML when Kings Cross is closed Hull Trains are running their services calling at Hull and Brough only. They could easily fill their train just on "poached" Doncaster passengers I'm sure but they're not doing that instead they're deliberately excluding them from being served and focusing on undeserved people from Hull and Brough!

westv

Established Member

For the same reason Starbucks open a coffee shop next door another coffee shop.
I look forward to seeing your breakdown of passengers by station boarded.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

You quoted my reason. Because they're bigger markets. Train operators, on the whole, are not driven to provide a service from a particular station, they're looking for ideas that will bring in the most money. If open access was allowed to Leeds, the average number of passengers per train may drop (in the short term at least), but their trains would be better loaded than from many other stations.

westv

Established Member
You quoted my reason. Because they're bigger markets. Train operators, on the whole, are not driven to provide a service from a particular station, they're looking for ideas that will bring in the most money. If open access was allowed to Leeds, the average number of passengers per train may drop (in the short term at least), but their trains would be better loaded than from many other stations.
As bolded. Is there any evidence that First Group attempted to access Leeds or York?
As a matter of interest, what is the current loading Doncaster to Leeds and back? LNER appears to show light loading to Doncaster on Monday and to Leeds on Friday.

westv

Established Member
Sounds like you already have the data to hand, so you might as well post it first.
How would I know? You were the one that claimed HTs were "poaching passengers" so surely you must know which stations get what passengers to be able to claim that?

xotGD

Established Member
How would I know? You were the one that claimed HTs were "poaching passengers" so surely you must know which stations get what passengers to be able to claim that?
So you have no basis to challenge my assertion.

Looks like we are evens!

xotGD

Established Member
OK, fine. Hull Trains make all their money from Hull passengers and provide an essential public service for the city.

Likewise Grand Central with their services up the Durham coast and making a circuitous tour of West Yorkshire.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's an undeniable fact that open access operators have grown the market. I'm unsure why some people are so hostile towards the concept of open access. I think it's a good thing, though the execution isn't always the best.

Another key factor for me is the staff: if the price was the same, then I'd be more likely to go with the open access operator if it meant avoiding LNER's London-based crews (there will always be exceptions, but on average the attitude of many them appears to be vastly inferior on the crews based further North), so that would be a consideration if was looking to travel on an evening service to London.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It's an undeniable fact that open access operators have grown the market. I'm unsure why some people are so hostile towards the concept of open access. I think it's a good thing, though the execution isn't always the best.

I'm not sure anyone has been hostile. They've just pointed out these are businesses and don't provide these links out of the goodness of their hearts.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If post #31 isn't within your interpretation of the meaning of the word hostile then we will agree to disagree on the meaning of the term ;)

All train companies are businesses at the end of the day.

What matters to me is the sum of various factors such as the price, comfort, whether the times suit, the attitude of staff, reliability, compensation policy when things go wrong, etc.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
If post #31 isn't within your interpretation of the meaning of the word hostile then we will agree to disagree on the meaning of the term ;)

All train companies are businesses at the end of the day.

What matters to me is the sum of various factors such as the price, comfort, whether the times suit, the attitude of staff, reliability, compensation policy when things go wrong, etc.

It doesn't sound hostile to me. It's pointing out how many open access companies pick routes (and which stations they want to call at). There's always a bit of a game of which they will be allowed and whether they then still want to provide the service.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
In my view, it matters not whether there is any "malicious" revenue extraction occurring here.
The outcome is that
- Hull has many, many more direct services to London and other places down the ECML than were offered by the franchise and its operator.
- Beverley now has through services to places south of Doncaster to London - I'm guessing for the first time ever
- Retford has an hourly service - again something it did not have under the franchise arrangements
- ditto Grantham (?)
If it takes some cross-subsidy from ECML revenue (that "should" have gone to the EC franchise) to fund these absolute benefits then I don't have a problem with that. After all, the franchise operator could have offered a decent service to Hull rather than expecting folk to spend over a third of any journey made outside the single direct service each way on what might very well be a pacer.

westv

Established Member
As a matter of interest, how many Open Access operations are there in the UK currently?

NoMorePacers

Established Member
As a matter of interest, how many Open Access operations are there in the UK currently?
Well, there's Caledonian Sleeper, Eurostar, Hull Trains and Grand Central, although only the latter two can really be considered really "open access".

westv

Established Member
Well, there's Caledonian Sleeper, Eurostar, Hull Trains and Grand Central, although only the latter two can really be considered really "open access".
Ok many thanks. It was just that when Deerfold talked about
"how many open access companies pick routes (and which stations they want to call at). There's always a bit of a game of which they will be allowed and whether they then still want to provide the service."
It gave me the impression there were a number of them.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Ok many thanks. It was just that when Deerfold talked about
"how many open access companies pick routes (and which stations they want to call at). There's always a bit of a game of which they will be allowed and whether they then still want to provide the service."
It gave me the impression there were a number of them.
There were several that had a go/had proposals, like Wrexham & Shropshire, Renaissance Trains, Platinum, Alliance, and others; maybe he was referring to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.