• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poll: Potential General Election: who are you voting for?

Potential October GE: Who will you vote for?

• Conservative

Votes: 84 19.1%
  • Labour

Votes: 129 29.4%
  • SNP

Votes: 29 6.6%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 130 29.6%
  • TIG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DUP

• Sinn Fein

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • UUP

• SDLP

• Green Party (or any local Green affiliate)

Votes: 14 3.2%
  • Other independent or minor party (please state!)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Spoiled ballot

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Not voting

Votes: 13 3.0%
  • Brexit Party

Votes: 24 5.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosch91

Really want to vote labour but however due to a lack of belief in what they are promising to deliver and the fact that I can’t stand Corbyn I will be voting for the most likely pro Brexit party To win the vote in my area which happens to be the Brexit party.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Really want to vote labour but however due to a lack of belief in what they are promising to deliver and the fact that I can’t stand Corbyn I will be voting for the most likely pro Brexit party To win the vote in my area which happens to be the Brexit party.
I'd be surprised if the Brexit Party actually fight many seats, which I believe has always been the intention. Farage may even convince the Widdecombe woman to surrender her chance in Plymouth Devonport, which could make for an interesting conversation/screechfest. Oh, to be a fly on the wall :lol:

The Ham

Established Member

Taking the opposite view, I do wonder if the decision to withdraw Brexit Party candidates from seats which were won by Tory Candidates last time may lead to those who voted remain (or at least don't want a hard Brexit) to wonder if they will want to vote for what could be considered The Brexit Party Lite.

In doing so it could result in some Tory seats being lost in some of the more marginal seats.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'd be surprised if the Brexit Party actually fight many seats, which I believe has always been the intention. Farage may even convince the Widdecombe woman to surrender her chance in Plymouth Devonport, which could make for an interesting conversation/screechfest. Oh, to be a fly on the wall :lol:
Would anyone actually vote for her? She looks utterly bonkers.
Screechfest is definitely the word for it.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I have not taken Labour seriously since John Smith was leader. With all that has passed after, including making the wrong Milliband brother the leader, Kier Starmer just seems like a David Cameron type in Labour form

Apart from he thinks that McDonalds workers should be on £15 an hour...

(What a better way to speed up deployment of those burger making robots)

ComUtoR

Established Member

Whats wrong with them earning a decent wage ? Do they not deserve £15 ph ? How much do you think they should be paid ?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Whats wrong with them earning a decent wage ? Do they not deserve £15 ph ? How much do you think they should be paid ?

Well this is going a little off topic. But £15/h for a 40 hour week is £31k pa, which makes that role higher paid than qualified nurses, and the average pay of police constables and ‘regular’ teachers. Now you could argue that these three roles should be paid more, but then you could argue that most roles should be paid more. And if everyone is paid more, then the net effect is nil. Macroeconomics in action.

najaB

Veteran Member
Whats wrong with them earning a decent wage ?
Nothing wrong with earning a decent wage, but it should reflect the skill/knowledge required. Given that, £9/hour outside London is probably about right.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Well this is going a little off topic. But £15/h for a 40 hour week is £31k pa, which makes that role higher paid than qualified nurses, and the average pay of police constables and ‘regular’ teachers. Now you could argue that these three roles should be paid more, but then you could argue that most roles should be paid more. And if everyone is paid more, then the net effect is nil. Macroeconomics in action.
The important thing is to narrow the gap between the lowest and highest paid. Part of Britain's productivity problem is that it's cheaper for many employers to hire people on low wages instead of investing in automation. Also people hired can always be hired if business goes down because of Brexit or whatever, whereas most of the investment in automation isn't recoverable. The minimum wage has done a certain amount to address this issue, but of course pay at the very top has run away as well.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Well this is going a little off topic. But £15/h for a 40 hour week is £31k pa,

How many people work 40hrs a week in McDonalds. It's casual labor filled with part time, zero hours, evening and weekend workers etc.

which makes that role higher paid than qualified nurses, and the average pay of police constables and ‘regular’ teachers. Now you could argue that these three roles should be paid more

There is no 'could argue' They are underpaid.

but then you could argue that most roles should be paid more. And if everyone is paid more, then the net effect is nil. Macroeconomics in action.

Which is true but this doesn't mean that we should constantly push people lower and lower. We should be driving employers to pay the best they can and encouraging people into work. You can't push people into work where wages are so low that its better to be unemployed. (which I've suffered with)

When wages rise in line with inflation, you also get nil. People can't afford to buy houses, can't afford the daily basics, need food banks etc. None of that is helped with constantly pushing people to accept low paid work. When someone comes out to support driving wages forward (and hopefully for all and not just a soundbite or to win votes...) I think they should be lauded, not denigrated.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttttttttttttt - you "want" to vote Labour but wont because you don't like/trust Corbyn so will instead vote for the Brexit party? That seems to be based on a sensible understanding of the political envelope! It isnt as if they are diametrically opposed or anything. Whats that smell?

Whats wrong with that is that people who work in McDonalds are dirty scum not decent chaps who live west of Andover. McDonalds scum deserve nothing. They are clearly failures in life and should be grateful we haven't shot them out of hand. Decent chaps deserve more.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Didn't you know? People doing low-paid work, whether it be in McDonald's, cleaning jobs etc., don't deserve a decent wage because they haven't tried hard enough in life. They haven't striven to climb that greasy pole and, no matter how hard they work in terms of multiple jobs to make up the hours, they have no right to expect decent living conditions because they're lazy and workshy. To paraphrase something I read recently on the forum, it's their fault that they're poor and they should know their place.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Indeed! How DARE they be poor! Completely their fault for being in a rubbish financial situation with an awful job. Unbelievable!

najaB

Veteran Member
How many people work 40hrs a week in McDonalds.
Quite a few. I personally know one who does it now, and two who used to. And that's of the four people I know who worked at McDonald's.
It's casual labor filled with part time, zero hours, evening and weekend workers etc.
Doesn't matter. The point still stands that £15/hr is more than most teachers, nurses, etc. are paid.

Last edited:

Dave1987

On Moderation
Well once again a Tory PM has been caught out with a lack of empathy for ordinary citizens blighted by a disaster of some sort. May was caught out by the Grenfell disaster and having no empathy for the victims of it. Johnson has been caught out by the lack of reaction to these floods. Hmmm there is a pattern here? Mainly Tory PMs having no concept of empathy with people facing disaster?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Mainly Tory PMs having no concept of empathy

fixed that for you ;)

They have no empathy for normal people because most have never been in that position. They have never experienced real life.

Most have never lived in a terraced house, or worried about bills or had too much month left with too little money available or worried about whether they will have a job next week or wondered how they are going to replace all their possessions after a flood or gone to work with holes in their shoes because they cant afford to replace them until pay day or decided between light, heat and food. I wonder how many of them have ever claimed benefits.

They are simply unable to understand real life and real people because they are not of that world. They have no concept of real life because for them real life is easy.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The important thing is to narrow the gap between the lowest and highest paid. Part of Britain's productivity problem is that it's cheaper for many employers to hire people on low wages instead of investing in automation. Also people hired can always be hired if business goes down because of Brexit or whatever, whereas most of the investment in automation isn't recoverable. The minimum wage has done a certain amount to address this issue, but of course pay at the very top has run away as well.

And what will happen if the minimum wage increased to a point where it will be cheaper to invest in automation? Decrease of jobs within that company as machines replace staff.

Or the number of staff decrease as they are expected to work harder, or hours get reduced (ie when someone leaves they don't get replaced and their workload is spread across those remaining, or the replacement for a full timer is a part timer).

edwin_m

Veteran Member
And what will happen if the minimum wage increased to a point where it will be cheaper to invest in automation? Decrease of jobs within that company as machines replace staff.

Or the number of staff decrease as they are expected to work harder, or hours get reduced (ie when someone leaves they don't get replaced and their workload is spread across those remaining, or the replacement for a full timer is a part timer).
Unemployment is currently low despite recent increases in the minimum wage, suggesting we haven't got to that point yet. It's also true that Britain's productivity has been falling behind other countries and inequality has been increasing faster. These factors suggest we are relying too much on cheap labour. A relatively high minimum wage, if properly enforced, should also help reduce the need for immigrants who will work for very low wages, live in poor conditions and generate social tension.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Your Economic position is 31° Left, your National position is 30° National, and your Social position is 28° Liberal. (Somewheres)

Interesting for sure but I'd like to see a greater number of questions for a more accurate result.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Unemployment is currently low despite recent increases in the minimum wage, suggesting we haven't got to that point yet. It's also true that Britain's productivity has been falling behind other countries and inequality has been increasing faster. These factors suggest we are relying too much on cheap labour. A relatively high minimum wage, if properly enforced, should also help reduce the need for immigrants who will work for very low wages, live in poor conditions and generate social tension.

The figures won't tell between someone employed full time (40 hours) or someone employed part time for only 20 hours, or even someone 'employed' for zero hours.

A relatively high minimum wage could also raise prices of goods/services so the net result of everybody being paid more is no change as inflation takes hold.

Steam Man

On Moderation
I’m voting Conservative there is no way I’m voting Labour with Jeremy Corbyn in charge he would bankrupt the country

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I’m voting Conservative there is no way I’m voting Labour with Jeremy Corbyn in charge he would bankrupt the country

There is no way i would vote conservative while I have Pi$$ in my body. I am not voting for Labour because I don't like or trust Corbyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.