Poll: Potential General Election: who are you voting for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlterEgo, 3 Sep 2019.

Potential October GE: Who will you vote for?

1. Conservative

84 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. Labour

129 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. SNP

29 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. Plaid Cymru

4 vote(s)
    0.9%
  5. Lib Dems

130 vote(s)
    29.6%
  6. TIG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. DUP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sinn Fein

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  9. UUP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. SDLP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Green Party (or any local Green affiliate)

14 vote(s)
    3.2%
  12. Other independent or minor party (please state!)

3 vote(s)
    0.7%
  13. Spoiled ballot

7 vote(s)
    1.6%
  14. Not voting

13 vote(s)
    3.0%
  15. Brexit Party

24 vote(s)
    5.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

Even though I am far removed from the Labour Party, I do admit that had this scenario been a Starmer-led Labour Party actuality leading into this current General Election, it would have been a totally different matter in the lead up to the voting on 12th December.

2. Puffing Devil

Puffing Devil Established Member

3. GusB

GusB Established Member

I'm not actually sure if the SNP will actually achieve such a big gain in seats. Going purely by my own constituency results, what had been a fairly safe SNP seat for a couple of decades was taken back by the Tories in 2017.

Indyref in 2014 resulted in 57.6/42.4% in favour of "No", and in my council area the result was 50.1/49.9% in favour of remain in the Brexit referendum*. It only really makes sense to me in that voting for the SNP was seen as a protest vote against the Tories while Labour and the LibDems have never had a huge following here. The only time in recent memory that Labour took second place was in 2001, after which the Tories regained their spot in second place.

*Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moray_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

While I normally lend the SNP my vote (I'd prefer to vote Green, but they only stood a candidate in 2015), and will do again in this election, I can't help but feel that they're suffering slightly from being in power in Holyrood for so long.

4. GRALISTAIR

GRALISTAIR Established Member

You named that tune in one. There are a minimum of 3 sides to every story. One persons side, the other persons side and the truth which is usually somewhere in the middle. Just as I am sure you already take my political posts and opinion with a bucket full of salt - likewise so do I with yours.

5. GRALISTAIR

Oh hell yes absolutely. I am sure Jezza is a nice person but many just could not vote for him. My father in law ( late) lifelong Labour supporter but in 1983 just could not vote for Michael Foot.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2019
  6. The Ham

The Ham Established Member

Indeed, price in our time and all that.

7. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    Whilst I take your points I must disagree.

Corbyn has said several times now he will take the first three months of his premiership to do a new deal with the EU. That deal will, he tells us, will include a new customs union, a close single market relationship and guarantees of rights and protections. He then says within 6 months we will have a referendum on the deal v remain. This is all in his manifesto. That is the deal he wants and expects to get. ( he doesn't explain how he will legislate for this but lets park that) but he wont even tell us if he supports that deal.

What are the Conservatives going to attack? That Mr Corbyn will support his own deal? That hardly seems revolutionary! Afterall his deal will deliver Brexit which is what they want! I expect Mr Corbyn, the man who has negotiated this fantastic new deal and delivered us from the brexit impasse to both tell us he supports his own deal and will campaign to deliver acceptance of that deal by the people. Instead Mr Corbyn is saying he will do a fantastic deal and then do nothing. He wont even tell us if he thinks his deal is a good one or why it would be better than remaining or vice versa! Yesterday when asked in the Andrew Neil interview who would campaign for the deal he said " people". It is embarrassing and immature.

Alternatively, if this is all a sham and he wants to leave ( which I suspect he does) he should say so now.

8. Tetchytyke

Tetchytyke Established Member

Tony Blair got involved in Kosovo and he's widely pilloried on both the left and right as a war-monger.

So it goes.

9. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    At least he did something, perhaps shamed by the fact the west did little to stop the Yugoslav conflict generally. I don't think Corbyn would.

10. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

You obviously understand exactly how matters in Kosovo stood prior to the matter in question, so how do you feel that Britain should have reacted to unfolding events that were taking place at that time?

11. Tetchytyke

Tetchytyke Established Member

I think the NATO raids were the correct course of action, and John Major should be ashamed of himself for sitting on his hands four years earlier with Srebrenica.

But that wasn't my point. Corbyn is a "coward" and Blair is a "war criminal". Shows you can't win.

12. GRALISTAIR

agreed I prefer Corbyn is a pacifist- I don’t like the use of the word “ coward” towards him. The word is too strong and emotional imho

13. The Ham

The Ham Established Member

On both sides of the debate there's fine lines to be trod. We certainly wouldn't want to be saying Dulce et Decorum Est however we also wouldn't want to be going round pinning white feathers on each other.

14. GRALISTAIR

pro patria more

15. jfollows

jfollows Member

I've now voted, as indicated in the poll and above I've voted Labour for the first time in my life. I have a postal vote and it was completed and posted this weekend. I don't change my mind on these things once I've decided. My local Conservatives were on the ball enough to post me something early exhorting me to use my postal vote in their favour; anyone who comes round to my house from now on is too late.
    Actually, if anything I'm more happy with my choice as time goes on. I'd love to help unseat Esther McVey but realistically I'll keep my election night hopes limited to seeing a substantial reduction in her majority.

16. GrimShady

GrimShady On Moderation

I be looking forward to seeing Swinson lose her seat.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2019
  17. GRALISTAIR

Wow- I think she is a nice person.

18. GrimShady

GrimShady On Moderation

She's anything but. The biggest liar in the election is so far. Her constituency is sick of her.

She's going to loose the LDs a lot seats.

Edit: I know there's lots of LD fans here so apologies for any insult taken.

19. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Forum Staff Staff Member Global Moderator

I'm usually a Lib Dem voter (but not this time as I'm voting tactically) and I'm not a particular fan of hers. I mean there's nothing particularly offensive about her or anything but the more I see the less I like. I can't put my finger on why though...

20. GrimShady

GrimShady On Moderation

She will literally say or do anything for power. Her track record has been deplorable. Totally untrustworthy, much more so than the other clowns standing for election.

21. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

I’m sure she is, but she’s running the worst campaign of the whole shebang.

22. muddythefish

muddythefish On Moderation

Swinson has actually managed to take the Lib Dems backwards in this campaign. There has been alot of goodwill towards the Lib Dems with their strong Remain stance in recent months but the public have seen Swinson up close over the past few weeks and don't like what they see.

23. GRALISTAIR

I try and keep up from here in the USA but sounds like I am hopelessly out of touch.

24. bussnapperwm

bussnapperwm Member

Seconded. I find her really annoying.

25. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

Compared to the other choices available, merely being annoying is a positive.

26. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Established Member

Really? Bigger than Boris? Could you clarify what lies she's told recent? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any - unlike Boris, for whom I can think of quite a number of recent lies! (And I'm not even voting LibDem - I'm a Labour supporter)

27. GrimShady

GrimShady On Moderation

Just look at her past. Remember their all politician's, and as such, will lie consistently.

She is desperate for power and will do anything, beware these types.

28. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Established Member

So in other words, when I asked her what lies she has told, you couldn't quote a single one, yet you insist she's the biggest liar?!?!?

It rather looks to me like YOU are the one telling lies at this point :(

29. ComUtoR

ComUtoR Established Member

30. GrimShady

GrimShady On Moderation

Nope, I simply haven't got round to listing her great many trespasses. It may actually be easier to list any actual truths.

The lack of such quotation does not infer a lie, some YOU should very much be aware of.

Do you remember ANYTHING about the coalition government? How about the tuition fees she promised to vote against to name one? :lol:

Have you been watching the grilling she's been getting from Neil and Marr?

She's handing the election to Boris? How does that make you feel?

Last edited: 5 Dec 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.