• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poll: Potential General Election: who are you voting for?

Potential October GE: Who will you vote for?

• Conservative

Votes: 84 19.1%
  • Labour

Votes: 129 29.4%
  • SNP

Votes: 29 6.6%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 130 29.6%
  • TIG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DUP

• Sinn Fein

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • UUP

• SDLP

• Green Party (or any local Green affiliate)

Votes: 14 3.2%
  • Other independent or minor party (please state!)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Spoiled ballot

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Not voting

Votes: 13 3.0%
  • Brexit Party

Votes: 24 5.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Also just out of interest, why do you want to know this?

Because it makes a difference. The original story as reported when it first broke was that the boy had to be accommodated on the floor. This doesn’t appear to be true; it now seems that he was accommodated on a chair like very many other A+E patients, but that his mother put him on the floor to be more comfortable.

Clearly that’s not “okay”, but it is quite a bit less bad than the original story when it first broke on social media. That’s why the hospital felt it necessary to issue a clarification, because the original implication was the hospital had put him on the floor in lieu of a bed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Clearly that’s not “okay”, but it is quite a bit less bad than the original story when it first broke on social media.
How's it any different? Is having a chair while you potentially die of pneumonia any better than dying on the floor?

And it's rather missing the point. The issue isn't if he was on the floor or in a chair, it's the fact that the Prime Minister of this country refused to even look at the photo of or acknowledge the suffering of a citizen of the country. It would have taken 30 seconds to look, but he was too busy politicking and thinking about himself to show any compassion.

Last edited:

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Because it makes a difference. The original story as reported when it first broke was that the boy had to be accommodated on the floor. This doesn’t appear to be true; it now seems that he was accommodated on a chair like very many other A+E patients, but that his mother put him on the floor to be more comfortable.

Clearly that’s not “okay”, but it is quite a bit less bad than the original story when it first broke on social media. That’s why the hospital felt it necessary to issue a clarification, because the original implication was the hospital had put him on the floor in lieu of a bed.

I would also add that he was kicked out of a cubicle for another patient! How many A&E departments have been closed or downgraded over the past 9 years?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
How's it any different? Is having a chair while you potentially die of pneumonia any better than dying on the floor?

And it's rather missing the point. The issue isn't if he was on the floor or in a chair, it's the fact that the Prime Minister of this country refused to even look at the photo of or acknowledge the suffering of a citizen of the country. It would have taken 30 seconds to look, but he was too busy politicking and thinking about himself to show any compassion.

Of course the latter is the bigger issue - I already said this was Boris’ big gaffe. He isn’t a compassionate man and has serious personal flaws.

He’s run a lame campaign and this is a big error from him.

The problem is the opposition is utterly atrocious and cannot lay a glove on him; we have to wait for him to make these kinds of mistakes. He will still win though.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I would also add that he was kicked out of a cubicle for another patient! How many A&E departments have been closed or downgraded over the past 9 years?

I couldn’t tell you. How many fewer beds are there and how much less money does the NHS get than in 2010?

bramling

Veteran Member
Of course the latter is the bigger issue - I already said this was Boris’ big gaffe. He isn’t a compassionate man and has serious personal flaws.

He’s run a lame campaign and this is a big error from him.

The problem is the opposition is utterly atrocious and cannot lay a glove on him; we have to wait for him to make these kinds of mistakes. He will still win though.

I agree the campaign has been rather “flat”, as way May’s, however I have a feeling this is the strategy. In a couple of days we’ll find out if this was the right judgement or not. But compared to Blair or Cameron it’s been highly uninspiring.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I agree the campaign has been rather “flat”, as way May’s, however I have a feeling this is the strategy. In a couple of days we’ll find out if this was the right judgement or not. But compared to Blair or Cameron it’s been highly uninspiring.

Boris is gaffe-prone though, and I don’t know if it’s strategically wise to have an unremarkable campaign as it only makes his mistakes more obvious. It’s not like he is having crazy “zip wire moments” which will even out the bad press from this one.

Putting the reporter’s phone in his pocket is going to be as memorable as Brown’s “racist woman” moment and could well define his government - assuming he is elected.

Darandio

Established Member
For those who Facebook have a little search for the opening words of this

"Very interesting. A good friend of mine is a senior nursing sister at Leeds Hospital - the boy shown on the floor by the media was in fact put there by his mother who then took photos on her mobile phone and uploaded it to media outlets before he climbed back onto his trolley. He was on a hospital trolley in the paediatric A&E having been seen within 20 minutes. I am a nurse myself and am so pissed off with fake news, yes the NHS is a mess mainly caused by people misusing it and lack of elderly care. Think of the nurses and Doctors who are doing their jobs instead of constantly slagging them off. another Momentum
Propaganda story. Disgraceful."​

There has been a co-ordinated posting of accounts which appear to have been cultivated for some time, ready for such a push. Very scary.

Ahh, that post. The one that was subsequently deleted and the owner spoken to where they admitted they had no such friend.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
There has been a co-ordinated posting of accounts which appear to have been cultivated for some time, ready for such a push. Very scary.

Ahh, that post. The one that was subsequently deleted and the owner spoken to where they admitted they had no such friend.

Anyone would think the "hacked" woman's son is a friend of Matt Hancock.

Yes, that Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary who lied about being punched in the face.

Small world, eh?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The problem is the opposition is utterly atrocious and cannot lay a glove on him

It's hard to get your punches in when the media lie about what you are actually saying. Take the "Corbyn will abolish capital gains tax relief" story which the Tories' pet papers have been pushing so hard. IPSO have found it to be a total lie, but conveniently have embargoed their finding until after voting.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/10/break-embargo-expose-press-lies-labour

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Is it a requirement now that to be a party leader/potential Prime Minister your surname has to end in a 'n'? Think about it: Johnson, Corbyn, Swinson, Sturgeon? Recent P.M.s Brown and Cameron, three in a row were Eden, Macmillan, Wilson. Of course, the lucky Russians have had Lenin, Stalin and Putin, not forgetting the Yeltsin buffoon, and the USA two Presidents ripe for impeachment in Nixon and Clinton (W). Is it a FreemasoN conspiracy? :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is it a requirement now that to be a party leader/potential Prime Minister your surname has to end in a 'n'? Think about it: Johnson, Corbyn, Swinson, Sturgeon? Recent P.M.s Brown and Cameron, three in a row were Eden, Macmillan, Wilson. Of course, the lucky Russians have had Lenin, Stalin and Putin, not forgetting the Yeltsin buffoon, and the USA two Presidents ripe for impeachment in Nixon and Clinton (W). Is it a FreemasoN conspiracy? :lol:
Blimey. I think you’ve got something there!

Howardh

Established Member
On the contrary Howard.
You could go to Ibiza and do some podium dancing.
I don't dance, not even for money. Like the going to Ibiza bit though. Time they put more winter flights on from t'north.

Howardh

Established Member
No-one ending in "e"....

DaleCooper

Established Member

What have you got against Palmerston, Callaghan, Woodrow Wilson, Lyndon Johnson, Abraham Lincoln, Macron and any others I can't think of.

Butts

Veteran Member
One thing that has struck me is the lack of any representatives from Northern Irish parties on the televised debates. It is after all a UK Election and if you can have Nicola Sturgeon appearing on just about every one why no one from the DUP or Sinn Fein ?

Something I alluded to ages ago what happened to The Women's Equality Party ? Launched in a blaze of glory it seems to have sunk without trace. Too Mumsnet/Waitrose/ Chelsea Tractor for mass appeal?

The Ham

Established Member

It could be argued that the problem with the NHS isn't the funding that the NHS is getting but rather the funding which social care isn't getting.

There's a fair chance that there's beds being blocked by people that is there was a National Social Care Service could have moved out of hospital and into a less costly "bed".

By freeing up those beds it then frees up space for people who are in acute wards and A&E to move into them.

Now while it may not have changed the outcome in this exact case it would have likely reduced the number of similar cases.

It would also have an impact on local government, as an example Hampshire County Council have been undertaking a consultation on more cuts. The main reason for this is the ongoing and significant increases in funding requirements of the adult social care budget.

The problem that they have is that they are limited to increasing Council Tax to 2%, with the Conservatives confirming that this will continue to be the case, anyone who knows about trains knows that inflation is running higher than this (as it train tickets are going up by just over 2.5% in January). This means that Councils are getting less money each and every year where inflation is higher than 2%.

Add to this that there's also a squeeze on other government resources which Councils could draw upon (in the car off Hampshire they've had their central government grant cut by £19 million from ~£92 million to ~£73 million this year and as recently as 2016/17 this grant was £147 million) and it's not a good position to be in, even before you consider the impact of social care. Even if Hampshire were to increase council taxes by 10% it wouldn't recover the losses from the central government grant which they've seen in the last few years.

As such if national Government were to say to Councils that they were going to loose 110% of what they currently spend on social care but also loose the liability for providing it they could well jump at the chance.

There have been a group who are fighting school bus cuts, who's last MP was Gavin Williamson (the current education secretary) who has given them a meeting and who confirmed that is a choice between funding their children's school bus and providing care for the elderly. It's the same elsewhere where, in the car if Hampshire they are looking to cut school buses where they are looking to have as the dedicated walking route for over 400 children going through isolated woodland with no natural surveillance, here's a clip of what that would look like in the winter from the local campaign groups walk to school to highlight the issues they face:

Since then Hampshire have committed to funding buses for the morning walk to school during December and January when it would be dark. However even then there's a road which is just a little bit busy which the children would have to cross:

This road is so busy that under the current Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (The publication which provides the rules and regulations as to what is considered safe to be built) it says should have traffic lights to cross or a bridge, Hampshire are proposing to provide some tactile paving and some other minor changes to the existing crossing.

The actual figures are of the road has more than 8,000 cars a day on it (where the speed limit is over 40mph) then the crossing should be signals or a bridge, under 30 and there's a higher threshold over which it rules out the use of uncontrolled crossings. The road in question has 16,000 vehicles a day using it (although possibly more as the last DfT survey was undertaken whilst there was a road closure within 5 miles which stopped traffic getting through to a major town, which will have had an impact of traffic flows).

Hampshire would then like to offer the students a £600 a year bus pass, now many people are likely to look at that and say, you know what I'll drive my children to school thank you. This then will result in more traffic through a Motorway junction which when a local development was being proposed was acknowledged to be over capacity. In fact many cars would pass through that junction twice (one in each direction) in the morning peak, significantly impacting on congestion.

As you can see councils are going to some significant lengths to make, for the size of their total spending (£1,200 million), what is a fairly small saving (£300 thousand, or 0.025% of their budget).

However that's just one part of one set of cuts being pushed through by councils.

These cuts are likely to have to continue, and they are really going to start to hit home soon if something isn't done. I wouldn't be surprised if more Councils end up "going bust" like Northamptonshire did.

Social Care is one of these areas where people often have to sell their homes to fund it, yet the Tories would rather that you did that than they have to increase taxes to find the system. It comes down to, would you rather pay a few hundred pounds a year now in taxes or easily £1,000 per week for nursing home costs? Now not everyone requires nursing home care, however there's a significant number of people who do need support in their own homes or moving somewhere where there's a member of staff on site who can call for assistance of its needed, the costs of which are significant. Even having someone for an hour a day and you can easily rack up a bill of £300 per month, which few who are on pension are likely to be able to pay out of their own pocket.

Even the moving costs of going somewhere else can be significant, as well as the service charges (which pays for staff to be nearby, even if no care is being provided, 24/7).

It's because that these bills can be so significant that it's something which many suggest that it should be something which is dealt with by the national government, very much in the same way which the health system is dealt with. There are stories of people who almost wish that they become ill later in life so the NHS deals with them rather than only needing social care and therefore the costs which they have to fund (which does often lead to houses being sold). This is fine if you're a single person, but if you're the partner of another person the roof over their heads could be at risk.

It would then mean that the funding for the NHS would be able to be better spent on dealing with health issues. Likewise our Council Tax would be able to provide things like Libraries and improvements to the way we get around (which is likely to cut congestion and emissions).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
One thing that has struck me is the lack of any representatives from Northern Irish parties on the televised debates. It is after all a UK Election and if you can have Nicola Sturgeon appearing on just about every one why no one from the DUP or Sinn Fein ?

Something I alluded to ages ago what happened to The Women's Equality Party ? Launched in a blaze of glory it seems to have sunk without trace. Too Mumsnet/Waitrose/ Chelsea Tractor for mass appeal?

The NI parties generally compete for votes along community lines and generally only with one or two other parties representing their “community”. They also strongly divide themselves on constitutional lines and wouldn’t bring any imagination to the BBC debates.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I'll be voting SNP as they're the party that most closely reflect my political views and i feel they've done well for Scotland.

It's interesting to note the last 2 weeks or so i've been spammed with adverts from the Tories and Brexit Party online, yet seen nothing from any other parties.

Butts

Veteran Member
The NI parties generally compete for votes along community lines and generally only with one or two other parties representing their “community”. They also strongly divide themselves on constitutional lines and wouldn’t bring any imagination to the BBC debates.

You mean there has been some imagination !!! - I must have missed that one.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It is both liberating and upsetting to be an undecided. Liberated that I am free to look at the manifestos and characters of each party ( exempting the Tories) but upsetting to think that my views haven't changed but the party i was a member of for many years has.

I even got a personal letter from Boris Johnson yesterday asking me to vote for him so he could get brexit done, apparently. He has never written to me before!

Esker-pades

Established Member
It is both liberating and upsetting to be an undecided. Liberated that I am free to look at the manifestos and characters of each party ( exempting the Tories) but upsetting to think that my views haven't changed but the party i was a member of for many years has.

I even got a personal letter from Boris Johnson yesterday asking me to vote for him so he could get brexit done, apparently. He has never written to me before!
But you're so important! Play hard to get. He'll be outside your house swooning over you with those stupid love-actually-esque cards, pretending to be a romantic beauty rather than the pudding stapled to a mop that he actually is.

Darandio

Established Member
But you're so important! Play hard to get. He'll be outside your house swooning over you with those stupid love-actually-esque cards, pretending to be a romantic beauty rather than the pudding stapled to a mop that he actually is.

Or if you invite him in he'll hide in the fridge.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Leaflets delivered for me, one from the Lib Dems & one from the Torys, nothing from Labour or the Greens. Although reading Q&As the local paper did with the candidates, for the question "what connection do you have with the area?" the labour candidate response was "my husband used to work for the council".

To quote someone previously, "this election is like voting between eating S**t or drinking vomit, neither are desirable options".

JonasB

That must be the reason Theresa May didn't last longer as PM!

Status
Not open for further replies.