• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

POLL: Your favourite genres of music

What are your five favourite genres of music?

• Modern pop

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • 00s pop

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • 90s pop/Britpop

Votes: 27 25.7%
  • 80s pop/New Wave

Votes: 37 35.2%
  • Classic rock/Rock n roll

Votes: 38 36.2%
  • Heavy metal

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Punk/Punk rock

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Alternative/Indie

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • Modern rap/Grime

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Old school rap/R&B

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Drum and Bass

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Dubstep

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • House/Dance

Votes: 23 21.9%
  • Techno/EDM/Gabber

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Disco/Funk/Soul

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Reggae

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Ska/2 Tone

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Jazz/Blues

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Country/Folk

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • Classical/Opera

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • 60s pop

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • 70s pop

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Motown

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Psychedelic

Votes: 8 7.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Is Baltic Trance actually a thing? :)
Probably is, though I chose that as an example because it sounds suitably esoteric.

I like some pretty obscure music myself, but find all the different genres people talk about these days to be a bit confusing. For example if someone recommends a band to me and I ask what they're like, I don't just want a list of genres I've never heard of, I want an actual description of their sound. Saying they're "post-jazz" doesn't actually tell me anything unless I work for Pitchfork!

DaleCooper

Established Member
Is Baltic Trance actually a thing? :)

I’m into Trance and I’ve never heard of it, and a Google search turns up nothing.

Probably is, though I chose that as an example because it sounds suitably esoteric.

I like some pretty obscure music myself, but find all the different genres people talk about these days to be a bit confusing. For example if someone recommends a band to me and I ask what they're like, I don't just want a list of genres I've never heard of, I want an actual description of their sound. Saying they're "post-jazz" doesn't actually tell me anything unless I work for Pitchfork!

You're so out of date!

Just pulling your leg.

algytaylor

I mostly like:

- Techno, eg Jeff Mills / Surgeon / Neil Landstrumm
- Ska/2 tone
- Jazz

These 3 I almost see as the same thing, in different mediums - folk like Marc Moulin maybe in the middle of techno and jazz, and maybe the London acid techno scene with 2tone ...

After that I picked early hiphop & early rock n roll. I like bits and bobs from lots of different genres, those are probably the 2 most prevalent after the big 3

wagwan my g

I mainly like:
-modern rap/grime
-house/dance (modern)
-modern pop (only a bit)
- modern R&B ( I know it wasn't listed)

It depends how I'm feeling as to which one to listen to.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I have just watched Wagner's complete Ring cycle on YouTube as a sort of TV serial. I took in one act every couple of days, taking 60-75 minutes, which was perfect.

http://users.utu.fi/hansalmi/wagner/rhein.html

I don't think I could cope with going to an opera house, most with limited legroom, and sitting there for up to five hours on four successive nights.

Somebody called Yuri Moura has uploaded an excellently staged version from Bayreuth, conducted by Pierre Boulez, with English subtitles. The first instalment of the first opera Das Rheingold may be found at

An index to the rest is at

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxXiSg-2s6Bd4aj86wpQJE9efFRUDS5Xm

I never really expected to complete the cycle but I was pleasantly surprised by how dramatic it turned out to be. The first act of Die Walkuere was a bit slow but I persevered and was rewarded. It helped that I didn't know the story in advance - and the English subtitles were essential. Even though I did A-level German in the 1960s, I could hardly make out a word they were singing.

At the end of each act, I checked the following site to make sure I hadn't missed anything in the plot.

http://users.utu.fi/hansalmi/wagner/rhein.html

If you do watch on YouTube, I would really recommend choosing a staged version - and in the right order. You miss out on so much if you just listen to the music on its own (or with a couple of singers in posh frocks and dicky bows).

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I've only voted once for Psychedelic. I would have voted for it all five times if I could. :lol:

It would be nice for people to mention which would be their favourite album from each genre they voted for, choosing Psychedelic i'd have to go for Love - Forever Changes.
Have you ever come across 'Black Sheep' 45 by SRC on Capitol, released here. Capitol is, of course, a VERY unlikely label for psychedelia, but in truth every major label was busy trying to get a slice of the action and signing up groups, some indiscriminately! RCA had the Airplane of course and Warner Bros the Grateful Dead, but Columbia (CBS here) got some gems, in particular the Birds: 'Eight Miles High' has the best guitar intro ever, imo.

Journeyman

Established Member
Nicholas Whittaker wrote about the popularity of heavy metal with trainspotters in "Platform Souls". He theorised that the same sound patterns were present in Maybach engines and bass guitar riffs. :)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The poll seems very heavily weighted by recently more popular types of music that appeared since 2000, with many sections catering for these.

I have a somewhat unusual taste in music that mainly focuses on classical music and folk music (I was in a folk group in the 1960s). One particular folk song always has a specific message and that is "Green Fields of France", written by Ian Bogle and recorded by The Fureys, that relates a visit to the Authville Military Cemetery and finding the grave of William McBride of the Eniskillen Fusiliers, who died aged 19 in 1916 in the First World War.

Last edited:

Cambus731

Well I voted Classic rock, Heavy Metal, Psychadelic and classical

but!!
Why isn't prog included as an option?

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Electronica
Synthpop
Krautrock
Good choices EM2. Ive always liked electronic music,the first record i bought was "Magic Fly by Space. Jean Michel Jarre always fascinated me and then along came Being Boiled by The Human League which blew me away! Add to this Electricity by OMD and i was lost to the synthesiser ever since. I then discovered Kraftwerk which led to Tangerine Dream and then K/Cluster and Harmonia . i also enjoy more modern electronic groups like Vitalic. i also like Madness, Bad Manners and the Specials.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Modern Rap/Grime
Old School Rap/R&B
Modern Pop

These are the main three genres I listen to. I absolutely love rap music and grime music which I'm sure is a rather unpopular opinion on this forum.

I also love R&B.

PeterY

Established Member
Good choices EM2. Ive always liked electronic music,the first record i bought was "Magic Fly by Space. Jean Michel Jarre always fascinated me and then along came Being Boiled by The Human League which blew me away! Add to this Electricity by OMD and i was lost to the synthesiser ever since. I then discovered Kraftwerk which led to Tangerine Dream and then K/Cluster and Harmonia . i also enjoy more modern electronic groups like Vitalic. i also like Madness, Bad Manners and the Specials.

Very similar tastes to me. I also enjoy Ultravox, John Foxx and Gary Numan

Bevan Price

Established Member
The poll seems very heavily weighted by recently more popular types of music that appeared since 2000, with many sections catering for these.
For many people, choice of favourite music type is possibly related to age. Whilst they develop new tastes, they continue to like what they liked when they were growing up.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I’m regular looked at in aghast by friends when I tell them that I usually listen to Radio 1. Apparently I’m at least quarter of a century too old. But listening right now and it’s superb!

Status
Not open for further replies.