• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poor behaviour of off-duty rail staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squaddie

A journey from Swansea to London Paddington earlier this week was marred only by the behaviour of four off-duty FGW staff who took up residence in the first class quiet carriage and, frankly, behaved like schoolchildren. Each of them occupied an entire bay of seats, and they proceeded to play with their phones and have loud conversations across the carriage to each other. Much of their conversation concerned shift rotas, working practices and named managers, and was clearly audible through the entire carriage. Thankfully, three of them got off at Cardiff and so the remainder of the journey was peaceful.

But this isn't just a rant. I'm genuinely interested to know whether there are any guidelines governing the behaviour of off-duty staff when travelling on public scheduled services. My own employer makes it quite clear that if I am ever in a situation where I am identifiable as an employee of the company, whether working or not, I am expected to behave in a way that does not bring the company into disrepute. Does FGW not expect similar from its own staff?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB25

For one we aren't allowed to sit in First Class on our trains, certainly not taking up seats customers may need.

Naming managers out in the open is very risky business too. I don't think FGW would be too pleased about that though.

Vicpaul

Poor practise, I have experienced his a lot on the first train in to London which is prodomenently made up of staff. I'm no jobs worth and have probably been guilty of playing my music to loud in uniform on my commute to/from work but fount myself reporting someone a week or to back owing to comments he made about threatening to stab someone in the eye with a screw driver. The sheer ignorance of the comment made in uniform disgusted me

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Very foolish behaviour indeed! If the TM is kind enough to let them sit in First Class they should at least respect other passengers around them as they are still representing FGW! It is not fair to the First Class passengers who have paid more to sit in a better environment, if it ruins the First Class experience then that already brings FGW into disrepute!

Squaddie

Did you report it to any of the on train staff?
Well, that's another issue...

Not really liking confrontation, I decided I would speak to the guard when she appeared, asking her to have a quiet word with her colleagues. However, the guard did not appear at any time during the three-hour journey. She made very brief announcements before and after each station stop (if only all FGW's announcements were so brief!) but appears not to have left her room at any time. Certainly, no tickets were checked in first class at any time between Swansea and London.

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
A journey from Swansea to London Paddington earlier this week was marred only by the behaviour of four off-duty FGW staff who took up residence in the first class quiet carriage and, frankly, behaved like schoolchildren. Each of them occupied an entire bay of seats, and they proceeded to play with their phones and have loud conversations across the carriage to each other. Much of their conversation concerned shift rotas, working practices and named managers, and was clearly audible through the entire carriage. Thankfully, three of them got off at Cardiff and so the remainder of the journey was peaceful.

But this isn't just a rant. I'm genuinely interested to know whether there are any guidelines governing the behaviour of off-duty staff when travelling on public scheduled services. My own employer makes it quite clear that if I am ever in a situation where I am identifiable as an employee of the company, whether working or not, I am expected to behave in a way that does not bring the company into disrepute. Does FGW not expect similar from its own staff?

On a similar theme I boarded a SE train at Chatham and two revenue inspectors (in uniform) were sitting at the rear of the train holding a conversation which included quite a bit of 'industrial language' which could clearly be heard throughout the carriage.

I later e-mailed SET about it and they assured me that the two would be interviewed about the matter and disciplined accordingly.

They got off the train at Strood, I assume they had come from Gillingham to carry out ticket checks on the Medway Valley Line?

455driver

Veteran Member
Well, that's another issue...

Not really liking confrontation,
So they were being confrontational were they?
You are saying there were no other staff on board then, no first class host, no buffet staff etc.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
So they were being confrontational were they?
You are saying there were no other staff on board then, no first class host, no buffet staff etc.

To be fair to Squaddie I think he didn't want to make a big drama out of it hence not approaching onboard staff. Fair play, I think the staff are lucky not to be reported for such behaviour, especially in First Class, I wouldn't dream of being so unprofessional when representing my TOC!

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
Neither would I but if I was on the train (as a normal) I would have either said something to them or to a member of the on board staff when getting something from the buffet if I was feeling wimpy, I wouldnt just bitch about it on a forum after the event!

Last edited:

broadgage

I have seen a few episodes such as the O/P describes on FGW.
Whilst not condoning such poor behaviour, my impression is that it is becoming less frequent.
Staff can be disciplined, and have been, which is a deterent.

I dont like complaining about an individual, and would only do this if I felt that their behaviour was SUBSTANTIALY below the required standards, rather simply a little poor.

I recently saw several FGW staff moved from coach G on the 18-03 from Paddington by a senior member of management.
Unfortunatly they also asked two other railway staff to move, who declined to move on the grounds that that they had first class tickets !
As did I.

4SRKT

Established Member
Niether would I but if I was on the treain (as a normal) I would have either said something to them or to a member of the on board staff when getting something from the buffet if I was feeling wimpy, I wouldnt just bitch about it on a forum after the event!

Well that's you. I guess the only thing we can learn from that is that you and Squaddie are different people who do things in different ways.

Southernrover

Overhearing converstaions is one thing but in the grand scheme of things who cares.
I hear loads of conversations between commuters every day that im just not interested in. It seems we live in a world where everyone wants to know everything about everybody, hence crap TV like big brother et al.
If you really object to the conversation that much you could always move seats.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Overhearing converstaions is one thing but in the grand scheme of things who cares.
I hear loads of conversations between commuters every day that im just not interested in. It seems we live in a world where everyone wants to know everything about everybody, hence crap TV like big brother et al.

Um, why the hell should he move?? I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, but why are you defending this atrocious behaviour?

Searle

Established Member
Niether would I but if I was on the treain (as a normal) I would have either said something to them or to a member of the on board staff when getting something from the buffet if I was feeling wimpy, I wouldnt just bitch about it on a forum after the event!

Hardly bitching about it, they were just asking a question about off duty staff. Not everyone is as confident as everyone else, and I probably wouldn't have done anything either, having little confidence in a conflict between people.

stuartmoss

Unbelievably poor attitude.

Squaddie

Why should a fare-paying passenger in the first-class quiet carriage be expected to move to another seat because four off-duty employees of the railway company decide to use the carriage as a staff room?

Antman

Established Member
Hardly bitching about it, they were just asking a question about off duty staff. Not everyone is as confident as everyone else, and I probably wouldn't have done anything either, having little confidence in a conflict between people.

Somebody who did do something would probably then be accused of looking for trouble, generally best to say nothing and report it through the proper channels.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

That's ridiculous...........a bit like lighting up a fag and suggesting that anybody who doesn't like it should move seats.

Most people keep their private converstaions...............private.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I don't think it's acceptable for fellow rail staff to infringe on the comfort of any passenger, whether in Standard or First Class.

It really does send out a poor impression of us (remembering that to many people, the railway is still "one").
It seems we live in a world where everyone wants to know everything about everybody, hence crap TV like big brother et al.

Well, quite, which is why rail staff (like everyone else I might add) shouldn't have loud and indiscreet conversations in an enclosed space, isn't it?!

Darandio

Established Member

Trolling surely?

Staff sitting in the First Class area and doing so in an unprofessional manner, yet you deem it that the OP should probably move from their paid seat?

I know we have a lot of instances on here where staff are defended to the hilt, and rightly so in many cases. But you cannot defend the indefensible here.

I wish that people would have a quiet word. 'Had a long day, bit of peace & quiet please etc' I'm sure the reaction would have been, ' very sorry sir/ma'am :oops:' and probably quietly exited the coach. No need to report etc.
I have looked at many comments lambasting hotels on the Internet - Tripadvisor etc - and they haven't even seen the Manager, who in most establishments would have sorted, upgraded etc. Mistakes are made, but can be put right.

I once heard a conversation between some retired staff, and 'hows retirement going?'
And one recited his life history and retirement. Very interesting!

GB

Established Member
I know we have a lot of instances on here where staff are defended to the hilt, and rightly so in many cases. But you cannot defend the indefensible here.

Not sure why you consider it indefensible. People get carried away with their own conversations all the time, its easily done...even more so if your with colleagues that you haven't seen for a while and your all the butt end of poor working practices.

Whether you like confrontation or not (and who does?), all it takes is a quiet word with the individuals. If they don't rein it in then complain.

Allthough agreed that naming managers is probably not the best idea tho.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Not sure why you consider it indefensible. People get carried away with their own conversations all the time, its easily done...even more so if your with colleagues that you haven't seen for a while and your all the butt end of poor working practices.

Whether you like confrontation or not (and who does?), all it takes is a quiet word with the individuals. If they don't rein it in then complain.

Allthough agreed that naming managers is probably not the best idea tho.

Yes, sitting where they're not supposed to, disrupting what is supposed to be a "quiet carriage", not giving an f about the people around them. Easily done.

GB

Established Member
If the guard gave them permission to be there then there is no issue, much the same as if the guard gave you or I permission to sit in 1st. Is 1st desginated a "quiet carriage" in the same sense as other quiet carriages?

...not giving a "f" about the people around them? Well they weren't given the chance to atone for their immortal sin were they so how can you categorically say they didn't give a "f"?

Glad to see your perfect though.:roll:

Bungle73

On Moderation
If the guard gave them permission to be there then there is no issue, much the same as if the guard gave you or I permission to sit in 1st.
I think that it's quite clear from their behaviour that they just didn't give a f.

s 1st desginated a "quiet carriage" in the same sense as other quiet carriages?

I'm not even sure what that means. The OP said is was the Quiet Carriage, so it must have been the quiet carriage.
...not giving a "f" about the people around them? Well they weren't given the chance to atone for their immortal sin were they so how can you categorically say they didn't give a "f"?
I can categorically say that by the way they behaved.

Glad to see your perfect though.:roll:
Why are defending these people? Are you seriously saying what they did is acceptable? Why must some rail staff defend the actions of other rail staff, whose only connection is that they happen to be in the same industry, no matter the circumstances? It's ridiculous. It's like some kind of secret club rather than a set of businesses. :roll:

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I have to say , I‘s hardly call loud conversations atrotious behaviour, but then again, I regard quiet coaches as being more trouble than they're worth.

455driver

Veteran Member
Why shouldn't he come on here to moan about?
What is he hoping to gain by posting it on here though, nothing worthwhile so its just another thread moaning about staff, he has no proof that they were off duty either and has just made assumptions so even the thread title may be wrong.
I bet if it was a bunch of passenges causing trouble you'd be on here to moan it about quicker than you can say HST.
I would be on here every day moaning about it then, but of course if there are passengers distracting me while I am driving I will deal with it there and then rather than just whinge about it on here, but then you know everyfink dont ya!:roll:

FGW_DID

Established Member
FGW staff travel policy is pretty clear and it has recently been commented upon in the in house magazine (a very similar situation to the one the OP references!)

Unless your travel pass states 1st class, then you aren't allowed to travel 1st!!
Fair enough, if its quiet and the TM gives you the nod and invites you to sit there then do so, but play the game, at the end of the day if someone complains about your behaviour then its not just yourself you will be landing in it.

As for each person occupying a section of four each - why, if they want to chat to each other, sit round the same table!
I've experienced the same on the bus, two people get on together chatting but then sit on opposite sides of the aisle, at the window seats, shouting across the aisle to each other, Morons!!

455driver

Veteran Member
they were just asking a question about off duty staff. Not everyone is as confident as everyone else, and I probably wouldn't have done anything either, having little confidence in a conflict between people.

How does he know they were off duty?
He cant go up to the buffet bod and ask them to get the guard to deal with it, that isnt being confident its being sensible, but then its just easier to leave things at the time and "write a letter" later isnt it!
I think that it's quite clear from their behaviour that they just didn't give a f.

You were there were you?

I didnt realise that! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.