• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poor condition of Northern line fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The Victoria Line 09 stock trains were introduced between 2009 and 2011 so aren't due any refurbishment yet.

TfL is broke at the moment and I suspect we will have to get used to tattier and more run down interiors over the next few years.
Plus the moquette on 09 stock faded very quickly. Quicker than Barman.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonah Kemp

On Moderation
Please travel on the Bakerloo line, the trains are in a much worse condition.
Probably the worst trains in the UK, TfL don't bother maintaining them properly, with most trains not even having fully functioning interior lights
Disagree the 72 stock is one of the best imo

Goldfish62

Established Member
Please travel on the Bakerloo line, the trains are in a much worse condition.
Probably the worst trains in the UK, TfL don't bother maintaining them properly, with most trains not even having fully functioning interior lights
Indeed. They're in an absolutely shocking state. They should be a complete embarrassment to TfL.

A60stock

The issue with the 72 stock (internally) is the lack of lights which are working. However, when you get on one which has the new LED lighting, it truly transforms the interior and makes the trains look in far better condition. The only thing I cannot understand is why it's taken so long to roll the new lights out and why so few trains have them at the moment.

I agree that externally, something needs to be done to the 72s

Re the 2009ts seats - I am fairly certain they (and the S stock) will receive a the barman moquette at some point?

thomalex

The issue with the 72 stock (internally) is the lack of lights which are working. However, when you get on one which has the new LED lighting, it truly transforms the interior and makes the trains look in far better condition. The only thing I cannot understand is why it's taken so long to roll the new lights out and why so few trains have them at the moment.

I agree that externally, something needs to be done to the 72s

Re the 2009ts seats - I am fairly certain they (and the S stock) will receive a the barman moquette at some point?

They have a special brown barman that was put in 5ish years ago along with brown hand rails and flooring. And yes it's horrid

Mikey C

Established Member
Sitting on the Northern Line yesterday, I took a close look at the condition of the trains I used, and thought both were fine, and perfectly acceptable.

thomalex

Sitting on the Northern Line yesterday, I took a close look at the condition of the trains I used, and thought both were fine, and perfectly acceptable.

Same here actually, I kept an eye out and while not perfect it was in line with the Piccadilly line which I travel on daily

jojoseph72

Having used the Piccadilly Line and Northern Line today I could definitely see the difference, Piccadilly line seemed in far better cosmetic condition then the Northern Line

Correct me if I’m wrong (I’m not that up to date with the Northern Line Extension timetable) but I’m assuming that the current timetable needs +1 additional train but with the future increased frequency won’t it require more rolling stock? That combined with the Covid-19 it wouldn’t surprise me if maintenance is being prioritised over cosmetics.

Having used the Piccadilly Line and Northern Line today I could definitely see the difference, Piccadilly line seemed in far better cosmetic condition then the Northern Line

Correct me if I’m wrong (I’m not that up to date with the Northern Line Extension timetable) but I’m assuming that the current timetable needs +1 additional train but with the future increased frequency won’t it require more rolling stock? That combined with the Covid-19 it wouldn’t surprise me if maintenance is being prioritised over cosmetics.
also if I’ve missed anything or got anything wrong very sorry… very new to the community.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Correct me if I’m wrong (I’m not that up to date with the Northern Line Extension timetable) but I’m assuming that the current timetable needs +1 additional train but with the future increased frequency won’t it require more rolling stock?
As indicated earlier, just +1 peak, 0 off-peak

321over360

They have a special brown barman that was put in 5ish years ago along with brown hand rails and flooring. And yes it's horrid

at least the brown barman moquette looks less garish on the eyes than the blue version, they need to remove the blue one from the 1992 stock as it has never suited those trains, it stands out too much on what is a neutral interior, as the original moquette that came with the 1992 stock suited them better than the barman ever has, for one even when dirty it didnt show up as easily as the blue barman, tbh the barman needs to go and have moquettes suited to the stock, not one that isnt so pleasant on the eyes, bring back the original 1992 stock moquette

Status
Not open for further replies.