• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poor frame-rates solved (ish)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yeah thats because it hasnt got so many pixels to load up - But I agree I never thought of doing it hehe.

Good tip!

Kind Regards,

nutter

I only did after my dad went on BVE on his space and it had the reduced resolution, and i noticed he aas getting 15-18fps, used to be about 8fps so it was bad

edit: maybe this could be added to BVE help or a sticky

devon_metro

Established Member
I changed recently from 640x480 to 1024x756, didn't notice a difference, but will never go back!

Lesjordans

A good way to improve frame rates (yes it does work) is leave windows media player running in the background (no songs on or anything), you mark my words, i went from 44.4fps to 51.2fps but it looks much smoother :D

eezypeazy

Lesjordans said:
A good way to improve frame rates (yes it does work) is leave windows media player running in the background (no songs on or anything), you mark my words, i went from 44.4fps to 51.2fps but it looks much smoother :D

I think we've had this conversation before.... has anybody else managed to replicate your results? I haven't, and can't recall anyone else doing so...

eezypeazy

Lesjordans

I think there was some guy on another forum managed to get it to work as well, although i dont get how it works, because wouldn't running another Application slow the computer?

eezypeazy

Lesjordans said:
I think there was some guy on another forum managed to get it to work as well, although i dont get how it works, because wouldn't running another Application slow the computer?

Yep, that's the conundrum.... as far as I can tell, it shouldn't work, but it does, but only for you.... don'tcha just love computers?!?

eezypeazy

66's are evil

The windows media player theory works for me as well, as i experience a decent increase in frame rates of up to 33% at times, since doing this i have noticed a much improved driving experience. Therefore, it's definitely worth a go, however, i still get the occasional pause and stuttering, which is just par for the course.

Obviously, the different BVE4 train cabs all have different effects on fps, i do well on the 323 and 37 but not so good on the HST and Voyager.

Coxster

Established Member
Chris said:
Conversely is there any way to increase BVE2 from 640x480, as it has a poor image on my PC?
No. I never really noticed how poor the quality was until BVE4 was released.

Tom B

Established Member
eezypeazy said:
Yep, that's the conundrum.... as far as I can tell, it shouldn't work, but it does, but only for you.... don'tcha just love computers?!?

eezypeazy

Hmm. I don't know about the workings of WMP, but perhaps it opens some form of DirectX or DirectSound instance more efficiently than BVE, then BVE uses the instance started up by WMP, resulting in increased efficiency...?

(May be *totally* wrong, but hey...)

Simon_G

Sounds like a reasonable theory, Tom. It's possible there are initialisation errors in BVE, or maybe it's a .NET thing. I can't imagine M$ spending much time optimising the conversation between .NET and DirectX as it isn't exactly intended as a games platform.

That would also explain why it seems to be the folk with reasonably capable hardware to start with who are benefitting from running Media Player. Those of us whose performance is hardware-limited don't seem to see any improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.