• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poor regulation on ECML

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebor79

Established Member
I'm on 1S18, which arrived Peterborough a few minutes late behind the more heavily delayed 1S17. 1S18 calls York, Darlington, Newcastle, Berwick, Edinburgh. 1S17 has a lot more stops.
They let the stopper go first at Peterborough, we then sat waiting for it to leave Doncaster before passing through Doncaster on the through line. The stopper's now gone before us at York, followed by the TPE service. So now we're stuck behind 2 stoppers. Very frustrating as I'm almost certain to miss my connection at Newcastle now.

I guess this is Automatic Route Setting being left to do it's thing without something thinking "hang on a minute"...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trebor79

Established Member
Yes, I guess so. They looped the TPE just outside the station.
But still.
Sometimes Traksy isn't such a good thing, probably be less frustrating if I couldn't see what was going on! Problem is 1S17 is 10 car, and was advertised as such at Peterborough, but the front set is locked out of use, which caused chaos at PBO and I guess is extending other station calls too.

Oh there will be a reason, which is probably not obvious and the information will be kept between the TOCs and Network Rail.
Neither Peterborough or Doncaster PSBs have ARS - both remain NX panels relying on the signallers to signal each train.

zwk500

Veteran Member
1S18? 1S17? Could we have some indication of which trains these are please :)
1S18 and 1S17 at Peterborough and Doncaster can only be specific trains.

1S17 is 12.30 KGX to Edinburgh operated by 801104/801112 and 1S18 is 13.00 KGX to Edinburgh operated by 801110/801111
1S17 was booked to call Peterborugh, Newark, Doncaster, York while 1S18 was booked to run non-stop to York. However because of the front set being locked out of use on 1S17 it departed KGX 28 late and so 1S18 was tight behind it.

Glenn1969

Established Member
1S18 (1300 KX- Edinburgh) has hit more issues at Durham and is now over an hour late
1403 KX- Leeds cancelled due to animals on the line according to RTT
Guess commuters if there are any are in for a long afternoon

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'm on 1S18, which arrived Peterborough a few minutes late behind the more heavily delayed 1S17. 1S18 calls York, Darlington, Newcastle, Berwick, Edinburgh. 1S17 has a lot more stops.
They let the stopper go first at Peterborough, we then sat waiting for it to leave Doncaster before passing through Doncaster on the through line. The stopper's now gone before us at York, followed by the TPE service. So now we're stuck behind 2 stoppers. Very frustrating as I'm almost certain to miss my connection at Newcastle now.

I guess this is Automatic Route Setting being left to do it's thing without something thinking "hang on a minute"...

**Looks like** 1S17 has a much tigher planned turnround time at Edinburgh before it's next working (seems to split into 2 x ECS, one to Heaton and one to Craigentinny), whereas 1S18 has around 1 hour turnround time until its 1830 departure back to King's Cross.

trebor79

Established Member
I should perhaps have titled this thread "Odd regulation..." rather than "Poor regulation...". Obviously everyone does their best in these circumstances and the reasons, as pointed out, may be very good but not obvious to passengers, even those armed with Traksy :).

We, along with a few others got held at Ferryhill whilst 4 trains came south bound wrong line from Durham. The train that hit the cows is still at a stand on Croxdale viaduct with a 66 attached to the north end, guess the plan it to drag it to Tyne yard or somewhere to get it out of the way before it's taken for repair. Everything is going through Durham using the northbound platform, which means southbound services have to run wrong line from just north of Durham to Ferryhill. Appears that batches of 3 or 4 trains being let thoruhg in either direction.

Now on the "calling all shacks" service to Carlisle. Will be over an hour late, so in theory a full refund, assuming there's no hassle over the split ticketing.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I should perhaps have titled this thread "Odd regulation..." rather than "Poor regulation...". Obviously everyone does their best in these circumstances and the reasons, as pointed out, may be very good but not obvious to passengers, even those armed with Traksy :).

Don't worry, not as bad as when Train Managers occasionally the phrase "poor regulation" phrase on announcements.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks and indeed you are right but many members aren't familiar with specific head codes and so for readability and accessibility reasons we like to avoid them being used in isolation :)

westv

Established Member
Thanks and indeed you are right but many members aren't familiar with specific head codes and so for readability and accessibility reasons we like to avoid them being used in isolation :)
I had originally read it as times - the S as a 5.

robbeech

Established Member
As pointed out, it's not because we can't look it up, or don't know, it's because some can't, and it's a forum rule similar to using station codes. It's fine after they've been listed.

Now on the "calling all shacks" service to Carlisle. Will be over an hour late, so in theory a full refund, assuming there's no hassle over the split ticketing.

I suspect there might be, it would be useful for you to let us know your results with this in the appropriate area as it is nice to keep a check on whether after 100 times of rejecting split ticket claims, having it challenged, rejecting again, going to a senior member of staff, getting it paid, and getting an apology claiming it won't happen again, they've actually made the slightest attempt to change what they are training their staff.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Regulation on the ECML is often poor in my opinion, so I am not at all surprised.

If you did miss your connection, be sure to claim Delay Repay!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I suppose it depends on whether you think that the regulation policy is poor in itself, or if you think it's poor because it's not being done in accordance with the policy. For an answer to that we'd need a detailed look at what happened and how it compares with what has been agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.