• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poor ride quality - what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandsofEss

This morning I rode in a London-bound 375602, and noticed an issue with ride quality in the rear carriage on what is normally a very good bit of track.

I don't know enough about the mechanics of trains, but the best way I can describe it is it felt as though the suspension on the left hand side of the 'front' (nearest to London) bogie wasn't working properly. The carriage was bouncing more than usual, then there'd be a bang as though it had exceeded the limits of the suspension. This happened multiple times on a 15 minute journey.

I reported it to the platform staff when I arrived at Tonbridge, and the chap I spoke to said he'd report it back to base. Is there something else I should do, or will this suffice? I have complete confidence in the maintenance regimes of train operators - I'm just wondering if there's anything further I should do to flag this.

I'm also curious - based on my layman's description above, can anybody suggest any likely causes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
I reported it to the platform staff when I arrived at Tonbridge, and the chap I spoke to said he'd report it back to base. Is there something else I should do, or will this suffice? I have complete confidence in the maintenance regimes of train operators - I'm just wondering if there's anything further I should do to flag this.

Well done. Absolutley the right thing to do and the member of staff should ring it through pretty quickly.

SandsofEss

Thank you both. I don't use Twitter, but my conscience is assuaged that reporting it at the platform is enough.

Deepgreen

Established Member
This morning I rode in a London-bound 375602, and noticed an issue with ride quality in the rear carriage on what is normally a very good bit of track.

I don't know enough about the mechanics of trains, but the best way I can describe it is it felt as though the suspension on the left hand side of the 'front' (nearest to London) bogie wasn't working properly. The carriage was bouncing more than usual, then there'd be a bang as though it had exceeded the limits of the suspension. This happened multiple times on a 15 minute journey.

I'm also curious - based on my layman's description above, can anybody suggest any likely causes?
'Bottoming out' is not uncommon when suspension wears or partly fails. Can't recall if 375s have bogie airbags but, if so, it could be that. Correct to report it - let's hope the staff member passes it on, but it's not a certainty (could forget if something crops up needing their attention, for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.