• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Port of Liverpool traffic levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

D821

From talk on here today about Tesco moving more traffic from road to rail, it was encouraging to read today that the Port of Liverpool now has a five a week service running to Birmingham.

Does anyone know how many services currently run per week from the docks?

...DKT is now running a five-days-a-week rail link from Liverpool to Freightliner’s Birmingham Terminal.

It will carry 26 x 60ft wagons enabling DKT Allseas to move up to 76 x 20ft or 26 x 40ft and 26 x 20ft containers of freight per day. It offers a fast and reliable alternative to road transport for its customers at a time when road hauliers are struggling to source enough drivers to service the demand.

David Huck, managing director at Peel Ports, said: “We have worked with DKT Allseas since February this year and, since its inception, the China Xpress liner service has gone from strength to strength over a very short period...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It will be interesting to see how successful this is. It’s shorter than most intermodal runs.

Class 170101

Established Member
I think this was on BBC News last week (or so) and it was said its due to a lack of lorry drivers.

D821

I'm sure that factors into it. Liverpool 2 has done really well over the last three years, after a slow start. Problems with Felixstow meant that the owners, Peel, suggested the shipping companies use Liverpool 2. I think all of the big five shipping companies now serve Liverpool every one or two weeks.

WesternBiker

I think this was on BBC News last week (or so) and it was said its due to a lack of lorry drivers.
This surely has to be an opportunity for rail: it doesn't look as if the shortage of lorry drivers is going to end anytime soon, so using rail for this short of dedicated volume route has to make sense.

D821

You would hope so. I'm sure it's no small task switching from road to rail, but once it's in place, I'd like to think companies will stick with it.

the sniper

Established Member
This surely has to be an opportunity for rail: it doesn't look as if the shortage of lorry drivers is going to end anytime soon, so using rail for this short of dedicated volume route has to make sense.

Surely in the longer term the road haulage industry is going to be disproportionately impacted by higher staffing and fuel costs. The shortage of drivers should be relatively short term, but the consequences may not. That may encourage some transfer.

Liverpool 507

The rail entrance to the docks (and some surrounding lines within the port) have been recently renewed, especially at Regents Road crossing where there is no longer a single track in and out if the docks.

urbophile

Established Member
To where? Why would passengers want to end up in a freight terminal?
the proposal is to restore passenger trains to the line between Edge Hill and Bootle, giving the transport desert of north-east Liverpool a needed boost. It would either loop back into the Northern Line between Kirkdale and Sandhills, or turn north towards the Bootle stations. (I'm not sure if I've got the details right, or indeed if the proposals are likely to be implemented, but they have been discussed.)

Status
Not open for further replies.