• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Port Talbot torpedo wagon derailment - two hurt in explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimbleshanks

From the BBC News website
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48062141

Steel plant explosion: Two burned at Tata in Port Talbot

Two workers suffered burns in an early hours explosion at Tata's biggest steelworks plant in the UK.

Residents living near the Port Talbot plant heard a "massive" blast shortly after 03:30 BST.

Images and footage posted on social media show a huge mushroom cloud and plumes of smoke rising above the plant.

Tata Steel said the explosion came from a train used to carry molten metal, but the fires were now out and all employees had been accounted for.

"Two of our employees suffered minor injuries and both have been released following treatment," the company said in a statement.

"The spillage led to a number of fires which were extinguished by our own emergency services supported by members of the Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service.

"We are currently investigating the cause of the incident and are looking to minimise any impact on production."

BBC Wales understands the explosion happened outdoors on a stretch of railway track between the engineering shops and the locomotive repair shops.

Stephen Davies from the Unite union believes a train - carrying a "torpedo" which holds the molten metal - derailed, leading to the metal coming into contact with cold water.

He said: "They [the men] were both on the train. One of them is close to retirement and the other is younger,".

One of them had a burn to the head and the other to the chest, he added.

The site reopened by 07:00 although production at blast furnaces four and five have been halted until all checks had been completed, Mr Davies said.
Image caption Pictures show "torpedo" which was carrying the molten metal, ended up on its side

Lance Davies, 36, who lives at the highest point in the town overlooking it and the steelworks, said it was a "miracle" no-one was killed.

"I was woken up this morning by what sounded like thunder, I went to the window and could see the results of the first explosion, then I called my partner and saw the other two," he added.

"That was all you could see - it was like a scene from Independence Day - a big ball of flame, followed by a massive mushroom of smoke. It was unbelievable."

Sharon Freeguard, a Neath Port Talbot councillor, said: "I thought I heard about two to three explosions. It was extremely frightening and very, very scary.
Media captionTata Steel said the explosion came from a train used to carry molten metal

"The house just shook, so it was quite alarming. Once it was over, I did wonder what it was and just did think about the works.

"We're just all relieved that there are no fatalities."

Local resident Craig Williams said he heard "an almighty bang", adding: "It's very unusual to hear something of that magnitude.

"The house shook a little. It's not something we are accustomed to."

Mr Williams said Port Talbot "revolves around this plant" and it helps to "bring the community together".

The steelworks is the largest in the UK and employs more than 4,000 people.

Helicopters were circling overhead and South Wales Police said it received "numerous calls" shortly after 03:30 "reporting an explosion".

South Wales Police said: "The explosion caused some small fires which are all under control and damage to some buildings on the site."

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the 10 appliances it had at the scene left by 08:40. The Health and Safety Executive added it would be making contact with the emergency services.
Image caption An investigation into the cause of the explosion has begun

The explosion was heard as far away as Bridgend, 14 miles (22km) from the blast, and the National Police Air Service's St Athan wing confirmed a helicopter had been scrambled to the scene.

Aberavon MP Stephen Kinnock said safety at the plant had improved "massively" since 2001, when three workers were killed in a blast. The force added that there was no need for concern about hazardous effects from the smoke.

"I think there needs to be a full review," he added. "We've got to understand why it happened and make sure it doesn't happen again.

"This is a very technical and complex process of making steel and things do go wrong sometimes.
Image Copyright @DamianHealy @DamianHealy

"We've got to have a process in place to make sure the workforce are supported, to make sure they've got all the resources they need to protect health and safety for the workforce and for all of the people in the town."

He said he would be speaking to Tata later and Aberavon AM David Rees has also requested a meeting with the steel firm.

A spokesman for union Community said its representatives were holding urgent meetings at the site.

"It is important that all appropriate procedures are followed now to ensure lessons are learnt and any necessary changes are implemented," he added.
Image caption All emergency service had left the scene by 08:30 as work resumed at the site
At the scene - BBC reporter Will Fyfe

"I'm stood just very close to one of the main entrances to the plant and actually everything so far seems to be business as normal this morning.

"There's the normal traffic - shift workers coming in and out.

"The activity this morning really is in stark contrast to some of the very dramatic photographs and footage - and some of those eyewitness accounts that talk about an explosion that was so loud it had blown bedroom doors open in some of the houses of people living nearby."