• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Porterbrook Cl.769 'Flex' trains from 319s, initially for Northern

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver_m

Established Member
WNXX forum is showing a green one of these for GWR. (Though some are saying it’s photoshopped).

Suprised that’s also not been mentioned on here.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Where is the photograph allegedly taken?
No 769s have been delivered to GWR yet. We still have two 319s sat at Reading TCD, the other two 319s that were at Reading are now both at Wolverton.

fgwrich

Established Member

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Equally, the GW versions were promised with Air Cooling and fully sealed windows (similar to the renatus 321s) whereas that appears to not only retain them, but retain it's FCC interior as well.

Easier to apply a 165-style lock to the window than remove any form of opening window.

That to me just looks like a repainted 319, nothing more. The give away being the standard 319 equipment under the driving coach, or lack of engine for a 769.

Yes, I did wonder. Presumably this is the first 319 refitted to GWR specification and it now needs to go to Loughborough for the diesel work and actual conversion into a 769?

The discussion on the WNXX forum does suggest that GWR won't be getting it until Christmas.

Last edited:

EE Andy b1

Established Member
That to me just looks like a repainted 319, nothing more. The give away being the standard 319 equipment under the driving coach, or lack of engine for a 769.

Equally, the GW versions were promised with Air Cooling and fully sealed windows (similar to the renatus 321s) whereas that appears to not only retain them, but retain it's FCC interior as well.

Agree, that's just a freshly painted 319. What a milestone!:lol:

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Another clue being that 769 conversions take place at Loughborough and not Wolverton. All the Northern units went to Wolverton first for a refresh and repaint so it will just be the same for the GWR ones.

59CosG95

Established Member
Another clue being that 769 conversions take place at Loughborough and not Wolverton. All the Northern units went to Wolverton first for a refresh and repaint so it will just be the same for the GWR ones.
Agreed. Seems that the modus operandi is Gemini (Wolverton) for repaint (and possibly corrosion work if required), Brush/Wabtec (Loughborough) for 769 engine fitment, and Wabtec (Doncaster) for any further mods (which mainly appear to have been confined to the early Northern prototypes).

Avid Fan

I periodically check out progress on this project and am looking forward to one day trying out traveling on one of these units in demu mode (I was a junior designer at the back end of the 319 design phase).
Is there any realistic date set for their introduction - seems to be taking way longer than the original 319 - designed with pencils on drawing boards in Derby and assembled by skilled men from raw materials in York!

Bertie the bus

Established Member
There have been so many quoted dates of when testing would start and when they would be introduced into service which haven't happened you need to take anything quoted regarding this project with a pinch of salt, but apparently Northern are currently saying they expect them to enter service between the December and May timetable changes.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Will the powers to be ever give up on the 769s along with the 230s and say a lesson to be learnt is not to meddle about with conversions to what can be regarded as completely different model.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Will the powers to be ever give up on the 769s along with the 230s and say a lesson to be learnt is not to meddle about with conversions to what can be regarded as completely different model.

Reputations and money are at stake.
Somebody paid good money to deliver specific benefits, based on consultants' advice.
The customers (which may be as much DfT as the ROSCOs/TOCs) want their 4-penn'orth.
I imagine failure will mean discounted lease rates on stock which actually works.

FenMan

Established Member
Reputations and money are at stake.
Somebody paid good money to deliver specific benefits, based on consultants' advice.
The customers (which may be as much DfT as the ROSCOs/TOCs) want their 4-penn'orth.
I imagine failure will mean discounted lease rates on stock which actually works.

I would be amazed if the TOCs' concerned are sitting back and saying "stuff happens". This is now into reputational territory for the owners of the stock.

I can hardly wait to find out how a 769 stopper performs when departing from Sandhurst to Crowthorne during leaf-fall season.
The Turbos have enough trouble as it is.

37201xoIM

At least mainline testing has now started. If they work then introduction into service in 6 - 8 months isn't totally unrealistic, unlike all the other made up dates that have been put about in the past.
Must admit I hadn't realised mainline testing was now under way - I think I must have missed that! What form is this taking? On diesel and electric, I take it?

I was, for what it's worth, advised a couple of months ago that NT were assuming there would be two units on mileage accumulation from "autumn" with 2 units available from "September".

anthony263

Established Member
Must admit I hadn't realised mainline testing was now under way - I think I must have missed that! What form is this taking? On diesel and electric, I take it?

I was, for what it's worth, advised a couple of months ago that NT were assuming there would be two units on mileage accumulation from "autumn" with 2 units available from "September".

769450 has been out testing on electric and diesel theres s few pics of it on flickr

saw my first 769 today 769450 on the long siding behind allerton depot going towards hunts cross took me by surprise didn't think I would ever see one

Roast Veg

Established Member
There is currently a northern 769 (complete with engines) and barrier wagons in the UKRL Leicester yard, next to the slow lines. Presumably it's a new release from Loughborough?