• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Porterbrook Cl.769 'Flex' trains from 319s, initially for Northern

Mogster

In case it's not been reported this months Modern Railways reports that Northern expect an introduction in March on Wigan to Southport.
K

That will be very welcome... as long as they work...

Short forming and ridiculous overcrowding on the Southport Line has been the norm since the 142s were withdrawn and replaced by nothing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DimTim

Numerous STP trips scheduled next week Springs Branch sidings to Southport & return for ECS.

Mogster

Posted 18/1/20..

Yep. You could see this situation coming from a mile off.

As a regular I have some sympathy with the Northern crews told to work these services daily. It can’t be pleasant starting your shift knowing your most likely going to be dealing with a hostile crowd situation.

Bikeman78

Established Member
They did only just touch 100'ish in service, - I don't ever think that I've been on one that did more than that.

The 317s and 321s are slightly lighter (6 tonnes), but the 317s only have 75% of the 319s power, - the 321s have about 8% more power.
If I'm reading the figures correctly, the 317s have 988 kW whilst the 319s and 321s have 1068 kW. I used to do 317/321 on the Cambridge cruisers and I can't say that the 321s had any noticable advantage over the 317s.

Regarding 319s, I've never really been a fan but I wouldn't accuse them of being slow. But then I grew up with the CIGs and VEPs so it's all relative. Climbing north out of Gatwick, I'm sure the 319s had to shut off for the 80 mph limit at Earlswood. They could do East Croydon to Gatwick non stop in 14 minutes which is no worse than a 377.

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
If I'm reading the figures correctly, the 317s have 988 kW whilst the 319s and 321s have 1068 kW. I used to do 317/321 on the Cambridge cruisers and I can't say that the 321s had any noticable advantage over the 317s.

Regarding 319s, I've never really been a fan but I wouldn't accuse them of being slow. But then I grew up with the CIGs and VEPs so it's all relative. Climbing north out of Gatwick, I'm sure the 319s had to shut off for the 80 mph limit at Easrlswood. They could do East Croydon to Gatwick non stop in 14 minutes which is no worse than a 377.
South of the river, the 319s kept up with the Electrostars better because they were limited to (ISTR) 60% of their installed power on DC lines because of the inadequacies of a 3rd rail suppliy. The older DC motored stock, classes (319, 442, 455 and 456) weren't constrained and it was traffic/local linespeed limits that determined their speed.

Llama

Established Member
I don't know any of those roads or the other traction but the one thing about 319s is that above about 80mph the power drops off quite a lot, it's very painful trying to coax one up towards 90mph+.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I don't know any of those roads or the other traction but the one thing about 319s is that above about 80mph the power drops off quite a lot, it's very painful trying to coax one up towards 90mph+.
I think the 317s are similar. Out of King's Cross they'd be screaming along at 80-85 mph by Alexandra Palace but the last 15 mph was a struggle. The adverse gradient didn't help.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
South of the river, the 319s kept up with the Electrostars better because they were limited to (ISTR) 60% of their installed power on DC lines because of the inadequacies of a 3rd rail suppliy. The older DC motored stock, classes (319, 442, 455 and 456) weren't constrained and it was traffic/local linespeed limits that determined their speed.
I think the 317s are similar. Out of King's Cross they'd be screaming along at 80-85 mph by Alexandra Palace but the last 15 mph was a struggle. The adverse gradient didn't help.
The AC motors used on the Electrostars (and all other EMUs from the Networkers onwards) are able to sustain better acceleration at the top end of the speed range than the older DC motors. But in doing so they would use more power and therefore put more strain on the third rail power supply. So to avoid overload problems they were constrained to consume about the same power across the speed range as the older units did. This would naturally result in less acceleration because the newer units are also heavier.

JohnElliott

I was on the railtour for the opening of City Thameslink (St Paul's Thameslink as it was then). Part of the programme was to try and hit 100mph in a couple of places (one on DC, one on AC). The DC attempt couldn't get past 99mph.

Llama

Established Member
I have a feeling that on DC mode there is no field weakening on a 319, I might be wrong as obviously we don't drive them on DC mode up here (although the 769s will effectively be on DC mode under diesel power) but I do remember reading the FCC traction stuff and vaguely remember some kind of restriction on DC. Field weakening is just one stage on 319s and is pretty much undetectable even when you know when it happens and look out for it.

plugwash

Established Member
Are there any differences between a 319 and a 769 from a guard/conductor point of view?

Bob Price

Word is 008 will start testing etc in Wales wb 17 Feb. Seeing as they would be limited to one route, could they enter service first?

AllanA1981

Will probably start sometime between now and never knowing the promises we have had. Remember when the class 195's were ordered Northern said the couldn't be used for trains to Southport because of the platforms at New Lane station etc. We were told it's all good, from May 2018 Southport services will be run by class 170 turbo stars cascaded from Scotland.

Hmmm... that became a reality....

Greybeard33

Established Member
769450 out on driver training today seen it go past Leyland cam on 5z40 and 5z41.
From RTT, these seem to be the first two of a planned series of ten ECS workings, all under wires:
5Z40 Springs Branch Stabling Sidings (dep 1249) to Blackpool North (BPN)
5Z41 BPN to St Helens Central (SNH)
5Z42 SNH to BPN
5Z43 BPN to BPN (reversing at Kirkham & Wesham [KKM])
5Z44 BPN to Wigan North Western (WGN)
5Z45 WGN to BPN
5Z46 BPN to BPN (reversing at KKM)
5Z47 BPN to Preston (PRE)
5Z48 PRE to BPN
5Z49 BPN to Springs Branch Stabling Sidings (arr 2237)

But it appears that 5Z41 was terminated at Springs Branch (running 7L) and the other eight workings were cancelled.

AndrewE

Established Member
From RTT, these seem to be the first two of a planned series of ten ECS workings, all under wires:
5Z40 Springs Branch Stabling Sidings (dep 1249) to Blackpool North (BPN)
5Z41 BPN to St Helens Central (SNH)
5Z42 SNH to BPN
5Z43 BPN to BPN (reversing at Kirkham & Wesham [KKM])
5Z44 BPN to Wigan North Western (WGN)
5Z45 WGN to BPN
5Z46 BPN to BPN (reversing at KKM)
5Z47 BPN to Preston (PRE)
5Z48 PRE to BPN
5Z49 BPN to Springs Branch Stabling Sidings (arr 2237)

But it appears that 5Z41 was terminated at Springs Branch (running 7L) and the other eight workings were cancelled.
Should they have been running on diesel? or just checking that the electrics still work? Or even a bit of both for the drivers to get used to the change-overs?

Jozhua

Established Member
I know people are worried about power, but this really isn't a problem.

Remember, due to capacity constraints on Manchester Castlefield and many other areas of the network, they'll probably never see more than 15-20mph anyway.

AndrewE

Established Member
I know people are worried about power, but this really isn't a problem.
I was on class 150s yesterday to and back from Southport... There are gradients at the outer ends of other routes they are needed for: I am looking forward to seeing how 769s perform (if they ever get into service.) Getting diesel haulage out of our city centres is the dominant requirement... I would have been happy with a compatible diesel loco in push-pull mode being coupled to a 319 away from the wires if it could have been made to work sooner.
Remember, due to capacity constraints on Manchester Castlefield and many other areas of the network, they'll probably never see more than 15-20mph anyway.
Southport's quite a flat route but we still belted along at the country end.

The Ham

Established Member
Driver instructor training has started. Photo of 769442 at Burscough Bridge on what I believe to be the first mainline outing of one of these on a non-electrified route - https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishrail1980sand1990s/49529872211/in/dateposted/

It's weird to see what clearly an electric train running with no third rail or OHLE (to the extent that if that image was posted 5 years ago everyone would have said it was a fake and praised the Photoshop skills of the person who created it).

Of course a very positive step and hopefully the start of as lot more such images (hopeful with passengers on board in the not too distant future).