• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Porterbrook Cl.769 'Flex' trains from 319s, initially for Northern

D365

Veteran Member
The restrictions have been lifted.

Back to normal now
Good to hear - I need to catch up with the NIR (incident report) when I return to work.
For those who don't have access to NIR-online - it has been determined that a faulty VCB (vacuum circuit breaker) was the most likely fault. In this instance, the VCB is a part that is found on virtually all British Rail AC EMUs and AC electric locomotives designed and built in the 70s/80s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
For those who don't have access to NIR-online - it has been determined that a faulty VCB (vacuum circuit breaker) was the most likely fault. In this instance, the VCB is a part that is found on virtually all British Rail AC EMUs and AC electric locomotives designed and built in the 70s/80s.
Not just 70s and 80s... I went on a Pendolino with a couple of one-time pendo fleet engineers: we were sat in coach H (for horrible.) At every neutral section there was a bang as the power was cut out and then two more distinct bangs as two circuit breakers operated. It gave them great pleasure to hear, it really annoyed me, to the point that I usually try to avoid the S end of that coach! I don't understand why the two breakers operate as the power is re-connected - that's if I understood what was happening correctly.

D365

Veteran Member
Not just 70s and 80s... I went on a Pendolino with a couple of one-time pendo fleet engineers: we were sat in coach H (for horrible.) At every neutral section there was a bang as the power was cut out and then two more distinct bangs as two circuit breakers operated. It gave them great pleasure to hear, it really annoyed me, to the point that I usually try to avoid the S end of that coach! I don't understand why the two breakers operate as the power is re-connected - that's if I understood what was happening correctly.
I should have been more specific - this particular type of VCB is one that is found on 70s/80s era AC electric vehicles. The two "breakers" that you heard operating are a more modern type of VCB.

Last edited:

Established Member
Would this have been because they're not allowed to run on electric at the moment, or is this sorted?
The 769 I was on yesterday ran on Diesel all the way to Levenshulme (at which point I got off rather than them do a power changeover) so has it only been sorted today?
Was this fault specific to a single 769, but a common part to all 319/769s and more? Modern units like 397s also have circuit breakers serving the same purpose but I’m unaware if they’re of the same type.

Greybeard33

Established Member
So it appears that the ban on the use of AC mode was perhaps an overreaction to the original incident. Someone jumped to the conclusion that the 769 design was to blame despite the lack of supporting evidence that it was anything other than a one-off fault.

As a consequence of this decision, Northern has incurred expenditure on additional diesel fuel, plus additional driver hours to move units to/from refuelling points. Not to mention the inconvenience suffered by the passengers on the unit that ran out of fuel.

If a 319 had suffered the same VCB fault at Oxford Road, would the entire 319 fleet have been grounded for weeks during the investigation?

Established Member
So it appears that the ban on the use of AC mode was perhaps an overreaction to the original incident. Someone jumped to the conclusion that the 769 design was to blame despite the lack of supporting evidence that it was anything other than a one-off fault.

As a consequence of this decision, Northern has incurred expenditure on additional diesel fuel, plus additional driver hours to move units to/from refuelling points. Not to mention the inconvenience suffered by the passengers on the unit that ran out of fuel.

If a 319 had suffered the same VCB fault at Oxford Road, would the entire 319 fleet have been grounded for weeks during the investigation?
Aside from being an overreaction, it was always completely illogical. In AC mode, a 769 has no components in use which are not common to 319s. If anything they should have been banned from running in Diesel mode. The unit that ran out of fuel (424) is still at Southport, still has no fuel in it and can’t be driven back to Wigan with the leading cab on the dead unit. The rescue unit (446) which it is still coupled to will have to run around, or it will have to run back as a 12 car with another unit at the front and this movement will obviously have to wait until after the strike.

Assuming the ban was imposed by Network Rail, will Northern receive compensation from them? Even the simplest of operating costs, untaxed liquid Diesel is much more expensive than 25kV traction electricity.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
This sounds like the type of fault that has the potential to cause electromagnetic interference and in the worst case wrong-side signalling failure - or at least might appear to be so to the people who had to make the call on how to respond. So it doesn't surprise me in the least that it should lead to an immediate ban on AC operation.

I suggest Northern should be commended for understanding and communicating the details of the fault and solution quickly to get the ban lifted within a few days.

skyhigh

Established Member
Aside from being an overreaction, it was always completely illogical. In AC mode, a 769 has no components in use which are not common to 319s.
Apart from when you know the original belief was that a different part of the traction system was to blame (which was modified during the conversion). So with the knowledge at the time it was the right decision.

TurboMan

This sounds like the type of fault that has the potential to cause electromagnetic interference and in the worst case wrong-side signalling failure - or at least might appear to be so to the people who had to make the call on how to respond. So it doesn't surprise me in the least that it should lead to an immediate ban on AC operation.
That's exactly what happened here - the track circuits on the signaller's panel were flashing on and off, not just on the line on which the 769 was standing, but also on adjacent lines. That's very serious. Plus there was concern over why the VCB should have opened (even though it didn't) - possibly some sort of power surge - which needed investigation. So I think it was the right decision to restrict to diesel while the investigation was ongoing.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Aside from being an overreaction, it was always completely illogical. In AC mode, a 769 has no components in use which are not common to 319s. If anything they should have been banned from running in Diesel mode. The unit that ran out of fuel (424) is still at Southport, still has no fuel in it and can’t be driven back to Wigan with the leading cab on the dead unit. The rescue unit (446) which it is still coupled to will have to run around, or it will have to run back as a 12 car with another unit at the front and this movement will obviously have to wait until after the strike.
Would it not be possible to change out the dead batteries on 424 to enable multiple working? Then 446 could propel it back to Springs Branch for refuelling.

Edit:
I suggest Northern should be commended for understanding and communicating the details of the fault and solution quickly to get the ban lifted within a few days.
As reported earlier in this thread, the original incident was on 30th April. The ban on use of AC mode was introduced on 23rd May and rescinded on 20th June.

More than a few days.

Last edited:

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I say we build an extension in Lime St. to give the station it's first ever through platform. This would lead down to the Mersey via Victora St./ Brunswick St. and then drive all the 769's (and 319's) into the river.

AM9

Veteran Member
I say we build an extension in Lime St. to give the station it's first ever through platform. This would lead down to the Mersey via Victora St./ Brunswick St. and then drive all the 769's (and 319's) into the river.
I'd say we keep driving the minor issues out of the 769s, give them an interior refresh and use them to reduce the shameful practice of creating CO2 from diesel oil whilst running under OLE.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I'd say we keep driving the minor issues out of the 769s, give them an interior refresh and use them to reduce the shameful practice of creating CO2 from diesel oil whilst running under OLE.

The CO2 produced by class 66’s running up and down the WCML is much much worse.

Established Member
Would it not be possible to change out the dead batteries on 424 to enable multiple working? Then 446 could propel it back to Springs Branch for refuelling.
Would this be easier than physically running round to ensure that the leading cab was on the live unit? What would happen if these batteries also ran out en-route to Wigan or even on the WCML?
As reported earlier in this thread, the original incident was on 30th April. The ban on use of AC mode was introduced on 23rd May and rescinded on 20th June.

More than a few days.
And this after a full year of seamless bi-mode running…
This is completely unnecessary. There is already access virtually to the Mersey from Edge Hill via the Wapping Tunnel. Also Lime Street has had a through platform since 1977.
The CO2 produced by class 66’s running up and down the WCML is much much worse.
Likewise Voyagers.

supervc-10

I'm not sure the poor Mersey deserves being filled with those old relics!

I do wonder if Northern are ruing the day they agreed to use these things. A larger fleet of bi-mode Civities or some FLIRTS would be ideal!

Established Member
769s (and 319s for that matter) are crap, yes. However, what does 66s running under wires have to do with one attempt to remove diesel under wires? Nice bit of whataboutism.
Not only are they crap but they were always crap. What sort of EMU is purely friction braked, even if you forgive the steel body, single motor car and Ashbourne seats?
I'm not sure the poor Mersey deserves being filled with those old relics!

I do wonder if Northern are ruing the day they agreed to use these things. A larger fleet of bi-mode Civities or some FLIRTS would be ideal!
I’m sure they’d be washed out to sea if they were dumped in the Mersey!

The plan originally was for the far superior 323s to go off lease for the 319s, then for 769s to serve alongside. Now the crap 319s are going to be replaced by WMR 323s, which would otherwise have been scrapped, so at least someone’s seen sense!

plugwash

Established Member
I don't understand why the two breakers operate as the power is re-connected - that's if I understood what was happening correctly.
My understanding is that when power is lost, the train opens the breaker and then re-closes it when the power is determined to be back in specification. This reduces arcing and presumably also protects the train if it somehow ends up on a line electrified with the wrong voltage (I would imagine the results of applying 1500V DC to the input of the transformer would not be pretty).

Last edited:

TurboMan

My understanding is that when power is lost, the train opens the breaker and then re-closes it when the power is determined to be back in specification. This reduces arcing and presumably also protects the train if it somehow ends up on a line electrified with the wrong voltage.
You're right about the under/overvoltage protection, but at a neutral section the VCB opens before the neutral section and closes again after in response to automatic power control (APC) magnets which are located on either side of the running line and are detected by a receiver on at least one bogie of the train. At the first magnet the VCB opens, at the second it closes, a very simple system. So simple that if the magnet is missing after the neutral section, the VCB can stay open and the driver has to close it manually (by pressing a button in the cab). Or if the receiver detects a strong magnetic field anywhere it can open the VCB, as happened in the early days of 387s on GWR, when an AWS magnet on the up main at Acton caused the VCB on 387s on the down relief to open - took ages to work out what was going on there!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I suppose the comment is excusable if they weren't aware that all MK1 and MkIII EMUs had tread brakes, and have their motors concentrated on a single car.*
* Except the BEPs and CEPs.
Disc brakes for the Mk3-based EMUs and the PEP-derived classes, but the point stands that these are still friction brakes.

SansHache

A 9-car Pendolino has 3 VCBs, one for connecting each pantograph (on coaches C and H) and the third (also on coach H)to energise the transformer at the other end of the train via the 25kV roof cable (busline). The train runs with a single pantograph raised, usually the rear one.
In normal formation (1st class at London end) the pantograph on coach C will be raised heading south and the pantograph on coach H will be raised heading north. Heading south the main VCB is closed on coach C and the busline VCB is closed on coach H. Heading north the main VCB and busline VCB on coach H are both closed.
When the train approaches a neutral section the APC (Automatic Power Control) opens all VCBs simultaneously at the first APC magnet. After crossing the neutral section the train passes the second APC magnet and the VCBs re-close sequentially (main VCB followed 4 seconds later by the busline VCB). This is to minimise the inrush currents when the transformers are energised.
If you are sat in coach H then when running south you will hear the busline VCB open and re-close at each neutral section. However when running north you will hear the main VCB and busline VCB open together as entering the neutral section and then the main VCB close followed by the busline VCB on exiting the neutral section.
If you are sat in coach C you will hear the main VCB operate at neutral sections when running south but no VCB operation when running north.
(An 11-car Pendolino has a further VCB on coach U that closes 4 seconds after the busline VCB)

Established Member
Until recently, all of them?
This is incorrect.
I suppose the comment is excusable if they weren't aware that all MK1 and MkIII EMUs had tread brakes, and have their motors concentrated on a single car.*
* Except the BEPs and CEPs.
Perhaps the single motor car is a bad criteria, but many pre-Mk1 EMUs had dynamic braking before the war.
PEPs have rheostatic braking, not just friction.
Yes, as well as being aluminium bodied, with 2 motor cars and seats preferable to Ashbournes. A vastly more advanced design. Their predecessors the 502s had rheostatic braking 40 years earlier, as evidenced by the 4 resistor grids mounted on the roof of the motor car and I believe the 506s could use regenerative braking on the Woodhead line, with resistor grids mounted on the substations. I don’t know if the 306s before conversion to AC and the introduction of TOPS could do the same between Liverpool Street and Shenfield given that it was part of the same LNER/BR(E) electrification.

I’ve always been sceptical of the inferiority of the Mk3 design. One of the main advantages of EMUs and it would follow DEMUs is the ability to use rheostatic and regenerative braking, so why are 319/769s not equipped when EMUs were 50 years earlier?

AM9

Veteran Member
A train consisting of two or three 3/4
This is incorrect.

Perhaps the single motor car is a bad criteria, but many pre-Mk1 EMUs had dynamic braking before the war.

Yes, as well as being aluminium bodied, with 2 motor cars and seats preferable to Ashbournes. A vastly more advanced design. Their predecessors the 502s had rheostatic braking 40 years earlier, as evidenced by the 4 resistor grids mounted on the roof of the motor car and I believe the 506s could use regenerative braking on the Woodhead line, with resistor grids mounted on the substations. I don’t know if the 306s before conversion to AC and the introduction of TOPS could do the same between Liverpool Street and Shenfield given that it was part of the same LNER/BR(E) electrification.

I’ve always been sceptical of the inferiority of the Mk3 design. One of the main advantages of EMUs and it would follow DEMUs is the ability to use rheostatic and regenerative braking, so why are 319/769s not equipped when EMUs were 50 years earlier?
There were a few experiments before the war with rheostatic braking but virtually all UK EMUs had tread brakes only. Both of the LNER 3-car sets (what eventually became 306s and 506s) had straight tread braking. The substation resistor banks were for the EM1s to dump excess power when descending with heavy coal loads.
Single car traction was the most practical configuration for anything bar metro applications. The 319s have over 35% adhesive weight because owing to transformer technology available when they were designed, the PMOS weighed over 50 tonnes.