• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Porterbrook Cl.769 'Flex' trains from 319s, initially for Northern

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
Sad that this project keeps getting so much negative attention, and without verified evidence.
Yes. We want them now, and as many as can possibly be justified...
I liked the 319s I have been on in the NW (so much better than a 142 or a 150 - and yes, in some cases those diesel units were running services under the wires that should have been EMUs) and I'm really disappointed that it is looking as though the 769s won't be helping to reduce diesel under the wires for the medium term future, e.g. through Manchester to the airport.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Sad that this project keeps getting so much negative attention, and without verified evidence.
So apart from the inordinate delays in comparison with the quoted timescales, on another thread we hear that the first 769 test run in South Wales broke down after less than 5 miles today. Yes it’s a test but presumably not a test of whether the unit can get from A to B under its own power.

By any measure a project that was supposed to deliver in under a year and three years later is now two years late is a failure, particularly as the project was aimed to be a stop gap measure with quick delivery.

Neen Sollars

By any measure a project that was supposed to deliver in under a year and three years later is now two years late is a failure, particularly as the project was aimed to be a stop gap measure with quick delivery.[/QUOTE]

Abject failure. Same as the 230`s. Its always the passengers who have to suffer most.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Neen Sollars said:
Abject failure. Same as the 230`s. Its always the passengers who have to suffer most.
The 230s, questionable reliability or not, are in service and have been for almost a full year now. Meanwhile the "we'll get it done quicker than that" 769s are still, ??? weeks/months away. I've no idea. From the stories on here I've heard, it could be 3-4 weeks, it could be 6-9 months, it might even be never.

D365

Veteran Member
Abject failure. Same as the 230s. Its always the passengers who have to suffer most.

I don't know on that one, I was impressed by what I saw from the QRTC folks. The quality of the units themselves (even the 001/002 prototypes) is very sound.

The Class 769 "demonstrator" that I also saw on site, on the other hand, was just a stickered up 319...

Neen Sollars

The 230s, questionable reliability or not, are in service and have been for almost a full year now. Meanwhile the "we'll get it done quicker than that" 769s are still, ??? weeks/months away. I've no idea. From the stories on here I've heard, it could be 3-4 weeks, it could be 6-9 months, it might even be never.

230`s entered service on the Marston Vale line 4 or 5 months late and had poor reliability during the hot summer. Whether the fix has been successful will be shown this summer. The Transport for Wales order for 5x3 car 230 units is now running 12 months late, and that is if they start to be delivered in the next few weeks. In service July 2020 at the earliest I think. On another thread discussing the Channel 4 Dispatches last night, one poster stated the designer was aghast at the prospect of turning them into 769`s saying they were life expired after 25 years.

samuelmorris

Established Member
230`s entered service on the Marston Vale line 4 or 5 months late and had poor reliability during the hot summer. Whether the fix has been successful will be shown this summer. The Transport for Wales order for 5x3 car 230 units is now running 12 months late, and that is if they start to be delivered in the next few weeks. In service July 2020 at the earliest I think. On another thread discussing the Channel 4 Dispatches last night, one poster stated the designer was aghast at the prospect of turning them into 769`s saying they were life expired after 25 years.
25 might be a bit soon, I think 35 is probably fair, but that's very nearly upon us of course.

As for the 230s I quite agree, it remains to be seen whether they will actually put out acceptable levels of performance when warm weather returns.

Northern have 6x 769s out of the 8 which are on order to be accepted into the fleet. 3x (769424, 769442, 769458) are currently at Springs Branch and are available for driver training when this resumes, 3 more (769431, 769448, 769450) are at Allerton for post flex works and exams. The final 2 are still undergoing conversion at Brush in Loughborough (769434 and 769456).

Roast Veg

Established Member
That could mean a pretty speedy entry assuming driver training doesn't take too long!

TheWalrus

Established Member
Assuming the 769 project is eventually successful, are there any more lines they could be introduced on to make use of more electrified lines?

I was thinking for Thames Valley branches as well as North Downs line and Didcot-Oxford, cascading 165s to Exeter subject to route clearance as I think they would be ideal for Devon metro. Any remaining 143s could be withdrawn and 150s could be (sadly) retired. Will be a shame to see the 150s go as I think they’re fantastic trains but no units will last forever.

Also I thought I read on here the platforms at Waterloo can’t accomodate 12 cars, is that correct?

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Assuming the 769 project is eventually successful, are there any more lines they could be introduced on to make use of more electrified lines?

I was thinking for Thames Valley branches as well as North Downs line and Didcot-Oxford, cascading 165s to Exeter subject to route clearance as I think they would be ideal for Devon metro. Any remaining 143s could be withdrawn and 150s could be (sadly) retired. Will be a shame to see the 150s go as I think they’re fantastic trains but no units will last forever.

This has been discussed at length here:-

td97

Established Member
Wabtec have provided an update, with all 8 Northern 769s completed and 4 accepted by Northern. Seems definitely not 11 units now (which I think is old news anyway).
Video included in link

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Wabtec have provided an update, with all 8 Northern 769s completed and 4 accepted by Northern. Seems definitely not 11 units now (which I think is old news anyway).
Video included in link

Ooh, so when we eventually emerge from lock down, diesel trains could be a thing of the past at Cheadle Hulme?!

plugwash

Established Member
I suspect we will still see some sprinters on the route for a while due to driver training and unit availability issues.

And of course there will still be diesels from TFW and crosscountry passing through nonstop.

Bob Price

769434 just passed Crewe en route to Allerton. Slightly annoyed as I missed it on the cameras being towed by two 47's