• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Porterbrook orders another 20 Class 387 units

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnsf734

I have not seen it mentioned on here but Porterbrook have ordered another 20 4 car class 387 units on November 2 2015, with no operator publicly named.

According to todays' Rail Magazine the units will be dual voltage and due for delivery from October 2016 until June 2017.

The only operators name mentioned in the article is Rail for London, but it is also stated that several existing operators have expressed interest as well as prospective franchise bidders.

Like all other 387's they will be built by Bombardier in Derby.

I am sure we can try to find them a home on this forum.....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andrewkeith5

This is almost starting to get silly! Just how many new EMUs do we really need when electrification is being pushed back, we're already about to release a fleet that were only purchased because the ones we'd already bought weren't ready, and now we're buying more? (Er....by we, I guess I mean the industry, which I'm sadly only a customer of)

How many posts before someone suggests either Northern, FTPE or LM? Although getting rid of some of southerns older stock might not be a bad idea, they're not that bad on the whole....

ed1971

Northern's Class 323s are reportedly going to the Midlands next spring with no replacements earmarked as of yet.

AM9

Veteran Member
It looks like the next round of franchise bids are attracting RoSCos into a beauty pageant to display their 'new stock'.

D365

Veteran Member
I have not seen it mentioned on here but Porterbrook have ordered another 20 4 car class 387 units on November 2 2015, with no operator publicly named.

According to todays' Rail Magazine the units will be dual voltage and due for delivery from October 2016 until June 2017.

The only operators name mentioned in the article is Rail for London, but it is also stated that several existing operators have expressed interest as well as prospective franchise bidders.

Like all other 387's they will be built by Bombardier in Derby.

I am sure we can try to find them a home on this forum.....

The Porterbrook order has been discussed in great depth here already.

ScotGG

Established Member
This is almost starting to get silly! Just how many new EMUs do we really need when electrification is being pushed back, we're already about to release a fleet that were only purchased because the ones we'd already bought weren't ready, and now we're buying more? (Er....by we, I guess I mean the industry, which I'm sadly only a customer of)

How many posts before someone suggests either Northern, FTPE or LM? Although getting rid of some of southerns older stock might not be a bad idea, they're not that bad on the whole....

And yet Southeastern are crying out for more stock, overcrowding is terrible on metro routes, particularly with London Bridge closures and rebuilding. NR spent millions the past few years on lengthening almost all platforms and upgrading electricity supplies for much needed extra stock but not enough forthcoming. Orders come and go for many other TOCs.

And with current rates of growth at SE, and other TOCs, I can't foresee any stock shortage soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.